Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lovettaway

Limited ISP Data Budget Keeps Me At 1080

I am limited to 350 gig of memory monthly from my ISP therefore 4K resolution is a bridge too far but I can stream 1080p with no problem.  I know that the Roku Express will only stream HD.  However, I like the features on the more advanced Roku models.  Is it possible to force the more advance models to stream at no greater then 1080?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Limited ISP Data Budget Keeps Me At 1080

@Lovettaway 

Yes, you should be able to lower bandwidth usage by lowering the display resolution of your TV through the Roku Settings. (applies to both newer and older Roku devices.)

When I had a smaller data allowance, I set all the TVs to 720p and saw savings from 1080p.  Other than during hockey season, my main TV usually stays at 720p even with a 2000gb allowance.

To lower display resolution (Settings/Display Type) - just set to 1080p, not Auto detect.

Another Setting to consider is Bandwidth Saver which will automatically stop streaming after 4hrs if Roku detects no interaction with the device. (Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102