Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kitty12043
Level 7

Life Expectancy

What is the life expectancy of Roku devices?  Does it behave in a way when it is starting to fail?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
andyross
Level 16

Re: Life Expectancy

Like most electronics, it can either be very short, or a very long time. There appears to be no single factor affecting the life of a Roku. It's more common for issues like a power supply to go bad. Some newer Roku's use common micro-USB connectors for power and can use most any phone charger if needed.

The main issue with lifetime would be more software/hardware limitations. Some channels will only support newer Roku's due to performance or certain features.

0 Kudos
kitty12043
Level 7

thank you for your response and information.  I have continued to search for info on this and as common sense tells me, it makes sense.  I just like to ask as I don't know everything.  LOL!!!   I unplug my device every morning for about 2 hours hoping that will help extend the life.  I had a couple of issues a day ago and wondered if my device was beginning to fail.  But I rebooted and haven't had the issue since.  Frustratingly, it never gives a message as to what might be the problem and we are left to figure out what is could be. ThanksAgain!

0 Kudos
davidjazz
Level 12

I wouldn't unplug the Roku every day. It is designed to stay on all the time so updates can happen as they are released.

At one time, it was determined that a big cause of electronics failure was the power jolt from turning it off and on! While electronics are more robust in that way now, why tempt fate?

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

It's not just the power jolt. Constant temperature changes can also cause failures due to expansion/contraction of the solder or weld joints both on the circuit board and even internal to some IC's.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I think if you go to http://channelstore.roku.com/ it will only display channels that are available in your region.  It's up to Amazon to make their channel available on Roku in your region.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yeah, I'd just leave it on at all times. 

As to their life expectancy, I have a 2 XS that is approaching 10 years old. While it still works as expected, it's really unusable due to its lack of processing power compared to newer players. I stopped using it close to 5 years ago, simply because even then it didn't work well with YouTube any longer. It was still OK with other channels, but YT was worthless. I'll still pull it out of the drawer if someone needs something tested, but I moved on from it a long time ago.

It's more likely that the device will be obsolete like this before it actually fails, but they are electronic devices and can fail at any time.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos