Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eb50
Level 9

Re: Let us roll back! 9.4 broke a lot

How much longer?  I'm about to just replace my 14 month old tcl 55r615 due to this bug.

0 Kudos
CinnamonGurl
Level 7

I have 2 new Roku TVs, the first one I've had it less than a month.  All was fine until yesterday - then a couple of shows became all pixelated.  I thought I had gone back in time and was watching program about LSD.  It's random, not any specific provider (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, etc.).  So far I have been able to watch one series on Netflix with no problem, yet another on Netflix was totally pixelated. This all happened within a 3 day period. I had been watching the one that was pixelated the night before with no problem.  I checked again tonight and it is still pixelated, but other shows aren't.  Then I tried to watch the Mandalorian on Disney + tonight it was all pixelated just like that other one. 

I went to watch it on my other new (even newer, have only had it a week) Roku TV and it was not pixelated on that one, but who knows if it will be pixelated tomorrow?  I checked and both TVs on on 9.4.0 Build 4190. Something is wrong, both TVs are on the same network/wifi. For all I know the newer TV will do the same thing tomorrow or within the week.

chagib4163
Level 8

Roku has no idea if it will be fixed soon. Make sure you open cases with the Better Business Bureau (bbb.org) and Federal Trade Commission (ftc.gov) if support sucks. They have a 30 day countdown to respond when you open a case with the BBB. 

0 Kudos
AndyN32
Level 8

TCL R615 owner here.  After 9.4 my Xbox Series X cannot play media apps like Netflix or Disney PluS.  Screen goes black.  Prior to 9.4 everything worked fine.  Odd issue as when it happens it’s like all HDMI ports lose sync.  Changing inputs yields snow indicative of lost HDMI handshake.  Turning off the tv and XBox Series gets a picture back on screen for all inputs.  But same occurs if a media app is tried again on the series X.

0 Kudos
AndyN32
Level 8

Update.  Noticed my FireTV no longer passes DV.  HDR works but no DV.  Internal apps on my TCL R615 confirm that DV is available and does work but from the Series X and Fire TV DV does not work or even shows as an option.  I know that prior to the firmware update the series X and the FireTV both passed DV.  So I think it’s clear that the Roku firmware is the culprit.  Roku please fix this.

boogernose
Level 18

Funny I'm not having any problems whatsoever.

THANK YOU FOR ASKING!!!!

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Jgaltx
Level 8

Nice post, troll.

StreamerUser
Level 20

@mLeo wrote:

I have a Roku 3, 4200-X. After 9.4 update, Angry Birds space no longer plays.
There’s another thread covering this. If Angry Birds is simply no longer supported app, why not say so upfront?

Why not provide a mechanism to go back to the previous version of the operating system?

There is a mechanism (its a "secret screen" that has a function that allows you to "update" to an older version, if available) - look around the forums or search the web for the method to get to it.

(I'd tell you, its quite simple, but I've been threatened repeatedly and banned for a month for providing the info, with the stated justification being that Roku users agreed to have non-functional devices and arent allowed to revert)

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Widely available

https://lifehacker.com/all-the-roku-secret-commands-and-menus-in-one-graphic-1779010902

Would you argue software needs to be upgraded? For several reasons?

The OS gets upgraded and in time all the apps are upgraded by their developers.

That is the way software has always worked.

Its on the Developers to keep up.

If you downgrade you may break upgraded apps.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
jelabarre59
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-summary of the issue you are experiencing
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Well, can't very well give you a tracker ID since the buttons give me nothing more than a nearly empty screen (with the "Roku" in the upper left corner, how useful).  I had tried a factory reset, thinking it might bring me back to a functional version of the software.  But no, it only loads the BROKEN version, so now the device is completely unusable, and can't even finish it's setup because it tries to run the broken update function

Can barely give you the rest of the information, fortunately you managed to print some of it on the bottom of the case using half-point type.

-Roku device model: 4670X (Roku Ultra)
-serial number: KW9989779796
-software OS/version: 9.4.something (I once had it written down, figured when I did a factory reset it would change anyway.  My big mistake there thinking it would have fallback firmware)

-summary of the issue you are experiencing: started losing app configuration information for apps (such as login/password), couldn't forward to next episodes, etc.  I had originally written this down to Crunchyroll's typically shoddy programming, but then other apps had issues.  Those other apps couldn't even connect out, even though the system would say it had a functional network connection.  Rebooting did nothing, updating would say it couldn't get a connection even though it said it had a good one just seconds earlier.  Did a factory reset, and now it can't even finish the setup because it can't run update.

-tracker ID: unknown, since it won't even get to a point where I can see a home screen.

0 Kudos