Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TRLIMGS
Level 8

Re: Let us roll back! 9.4 broke a lot

After the recent update to 9.4 we lost communication with an Express + unit. We installed the older Express unit. Although both worked fine prior to recent events neither works now. BEFORE the canned answers come from ROKU about resetting everything between my home and the ROKU headquarters we installed my box from 8 years ago that has MOLD growing on it. You know, the one ROKU decided not to support any longer. WOW, I'm back on the air with 9.3 software.......thanks for not updating the old stuff. 

SO WHERE IS THE PATCH TO REPAIR THE NEWER BOXES?

EmilS
Level 8

Mine too, Everything rock solid until this release - Please address.

NormanJ
Level 8

I have a express 3900X and last week it stopped seeing my network. I tried all sorts of things with no fix. Although just a few months old and I Replaced it. Brought a new express 3930 x and tried to hook up. Found a list of networks and hooked up fine until it wouldn't do the update. I took it to work and it hooked up and did updates. I returned home and now with updates it cant find my network again. It sees my cell phone if it's a hotspot no problem.  I have done a work around and put a tp link extender in ando through that and both operate. Several hours of hassle and extra cash spent because of an update. Need 9.3 back or a fix for 9.4 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@NormanJ 

Thanks for the post.

Have you made any recent changes to your wireless network? If your device can detect your works wireless network, but can't see your home network, this would appear to be a home network issue.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts that you are experiencing regarding the newest OS 9.4 release.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-summary of the issue you are experiencing
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TRLIMGS
Level 8

Thank you for your response here, Danny. I guess I'm confused. The complaints are MANY on the fact we're cutoff from the boxes communicating. This includes trying to use the "Home" button to do any follow up research.

I have two units that worked fine until the latest upgrade. Most other posting on this point are stating the same thing. My feeling is there are MANY out there that are not aware of this thread to give their input. Normally, folks would reach for a phone and call for support. The number listed does a ring-trip. It rings once and trips to a busy signal.

My suggestion is this. Find out what the system bug is that took place with the recent update. Fix that. Then let everyone know thru a broadcast email. I assume at that point as the software corruption has us not connecting that each box would need a pinhole hard reset. Than the new software load should solve the issue.

Gary8
Level 9

Don't be so fast to thank 'Danny'. He MAY be a robot. I have seen that name with the same 'canned response' many times. I just don't remember seeing an actual fix to go with it. If I am wrong, I apologize, just VERY frustrated right now.

StreamerUser
Level 20

Danny is "a real human being", though he is constrained by both his job duties and responsibilities and Roku's customer engagement policies in how he interacts here on the message boards (pretty normal for customer service, especially in the tech industry).

However, your frustration is merited, since an update (that you likely didnt specifically consent to, and/or otherwise thought had been properly vetted/QA'ed) made your device less functional/non-functional.

Its further exacerbated by the fact that its Roku's position/policy that:

1) ..you have no say/volition/control of any/all updates (they think their TOS/user agreement says this/constrains users, it doesnt), and

2) ..that you must in fact accept the non-functional/less usable device for whatever period it takes for them fix the issue,

3) ..and cannot roll back firmware updates (again, that isnt what their Terms of Service/user agreement says at all, and even if it did, its legality would be questionable at best, and of course they even provide the functionality to do so).

Which is why they attempt to prevent/preclude firmware reversion/dissemination of information thereof - they think you agreed to have a non-functional/less functional product for the sake of you (we/the Roku-using public) acting as unsolicited/unknowing alpha/beta/release candidate testers (because they want to have to spend the minimal amount of internal resources to do so).

(there is a reason that nearly all Roku devices bought in any retail channel default to the "beta" update servers instead of the "release" servers...)

boogernose
Level 18

They need feedback and bug reports in order to fix it.

Settings/System/about>>

Roku 4670x Ultra

Serial Number YJ009N791421

OS 9.4.0 build 4190-46

issue ID 21-463-448

No problems here.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
NormanJ
Level 8

I have a 3930CA roku express that i just purchased as i thought my 3900x had failed. The original 3900x cant find any network unless it is with in about 4 ft of a router and it was fine and could see all the neighbors networks and mine until last Thursday is when i ran into trouble. I tried every thing listed on roku support including start and restart on on router plus roku.   I then purchased a now 3930CA and started to hook it up. I plugged it in and said english and let it find networks. it found my network and listed all the neighbors as well.

I set up network and it went fine . It said updates were available so I tried to do that but it just went around and around in circles. it would restart and hook up to my network  and tell me updates available over and over and over. I went to roku forum and it was suggested to try a different network so i took the roku to work and it hooked up and did updates fine. After returning home i could no longer see my home network. I tried factory reset I tried reset on router and roku several times. Both can see my cell when it is a hot spot but neither can see my home network after update has been installed. I have done a work around with a tplink and both units are working fine. Don't understand why they both saw my network until update done.  All other units such as cell phones 2 laptops and a smart TV are having no issues with Network or wifi. No changes have been made to hardware or software except Roku's to the best of my knowledge.  [personal information removed]  The new 3930CA is 9.4.0 build 4190AE Serial #X004000NKVAX.     The old one is a 3900X  9.4.0 build 4190-51 Serial #YG008F107081