Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jelabarre59
Level 8

Re: Let us roll back! 9.4 broke a lot

@boogernose wrote:

The OS gets upgraded and in time all the apps are upgraded by their developers.

That is the way software has always worked.

Its on the Developers to keep up.

If you downgrade you may break upgraded apps.

You would THINK that if you ended up doing a factory reset along with that backlevel firmware flash, it wouldn't matter about the apps because they'd be getting reinstalled anyway.

A properly designed system would have a fallback-firmware available (or at minimum a copy of the previous firmware).  But I guess the cost of doing that simple, intelligent choice might cut into the CEO's donut-and-sushi budget.  Maybe instead of calling it "Roku" they should be calling it "零 (Rei)".

UncleBrenty
Level 9

Sent my brother my unused 2018 Roku Express+ so he could get around the CBS blackout on AT&T UVERSE in New Orleans by signing up for CBS ALL ACCESS.  Roku Express + had been sitting in the box since August 23 so I was concerned about the problems with the OS 9.4 updates reported here but everything went smoothly.  Roku updated to 9.4 on his wifi then all apps updated then we added CBS ALL ACCESS inside his APPLE TV+ account.  No problems so far.  Maybe the update issue has been resolved?

0 Kudos
jordan57
Level 8

I'm having issues with 9.4.2 build 4063-an as well

onn 100012589

since update I lose all Live TV channels when I install Roku channels, if I leave smart channels off, all is well

0 Kudos
Audiophile86
Level 7

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all for your suggestions fixing this issue. My parents have a Roku Express (newly purchased from Target) and we're experiencing the same problem right after the device updated and pushed out the new update.

So, first thing is - the old firmware could detect modern wifi networks with no problem. 

Second, after some experimentation, the Roku Express can still see wifi networks (my parents have ARLO and the hub's wifi could be seen by the Roku) but couldn't see the regular wifi the rest of my parents devices were using.

Their router has DDWRT on it, which allowed me to force the 2.4 GHZ network into 801.11(b) mode ONLY -- and voila - the network can be seen.  If ANY other type of setting is chosen (Mixed, Mixed B\G, Mixed B\N or N Only) is selected, the network is undetectable.  So you have to choose B only.

Of course, this "solution" is not a great one.  First off, if your router does not allow you to broadcast in B only, you're TSOL.  Second, 801.11(b) is like.....super old...and maxes out at 11 mbs...when I ran speed test on my parents connection, it was maxed at 4mbps down.  So.....streaming works, lets face it, they cant really tell if its HD or not (looks good to us!).  For most people though, the degraded quality is noticeable. 

My mom and dad are fine for now....but I hope a fix comes soon!!!! ROKU PLEASE HELP!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@Audiophile86 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all for your suggestions fixing this issue. My parents have a Roku Express (newly purchased from Target) and we're experiencing the same problem right after the device updated and pushed out the new update.

So, first thing is - the old firmware could detect modern wifi networks with no problem. 

Second, after some experimentation, the Roku Express can still see wifi networks (my parents have ARLO and the hub's wifi could be seen by the Roku) but couldn't see the regular wifi the rest of my parents devices were using.

Their router has DDWRT on it, which allowed me to force the 2.4 GHZ network into 801.11(b) mode ONLY -- and voila - the network can be seen.  If ANY other type of setting is chosen (Mixed, Mixed B\G, Mixed B\N or N Only) is selected, the network is undetectable.  So you have to choose B only.

Of course, this "solution" is not a great one.  First off, if your router does not allow you to broadcast in B only, you're TSOL.  Second, 801.11(b) is like.....super old...and maxes out at 11 mbs...when I ran speed test on my parents connection, it was maxed at 4mbps down.  So.....streaming works, lets face it, they cant really tell if its HD or not (looks good to us!).  For most people though, the degraded quality is noticeable. 

My mom and dad are fine for now....but I hope a fix comes soon!!!! ROKU PLEASE HELP!

This particular WiFi detection/configuration issue is known (Open WRT/DD WRT) along with the "workaround" (b-mode isn't exactly useable) you mentioned.

However, the solution is to upgrade your Open-WRT/DD-WRT firmware (or revert it to OEM stock), or otherwise disable "allow legacy 802.11b rates" in the 2.4Ghz wireless radio advanced settings.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Can-not-wifi-connect-after-v9-4-upg...

0 Kudos
BobR2
Level 8

My Roku is making a popping sound since the 9.4 upgrade. It happens about every five minutes. This started the day I got the 9.4 upgrade -- I've never seen it before that, and it only happens when I'm watching the Roku. All other sources are fine.

When it happens, the bottom half of the screen flashes white. I've tried all the troubleshooting tips I've found. None has worked. 

I will soon be throwing this Roku in the trash and will never buy another one unless there is a fix or a way to roll back the upgrade. 

4300X - Roku 3

Serial number: 1GM35D091921

9.4.0 BUILD 4190-0

Timestamp: 2020-12-11T15:56:38Z

Issue ID: 21-497-756

jordan57
Level 8

I can get live antenna channels until I network connect TV and put on Roku steaming channels, then antenna channels no longer work. Only way to get antenna channels back is reset, and do not connect network. Channels will scan back in. So my Onn Roku smart TV really is dumb. When are we going to fix it?

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

@boogernose wrote:

9.4 has been working for me flawlessly.

Its not in Beta.

I think the problem is that there is no beta. Roku just pushes stuff out without adequate testing. In another reply you said development involves hardware concerns. You're right. But, that begs the question why Roku doesn't beta test (letting customers with a variety of hardware provide feedback).

It's been 1.5 months since you posted to this thread saying all is (or will be) well. Things are broken even more now. I've worked in development, and never seen anything like this. I wouldn't believe it if I weren't seeing it with my own eyes. There's no excuse for it. And, it's not just the breakages due to poorly-tested updates. Roku pushed an update out just 5 days before Christmas -- when they know there will be staff taking time off, fewer resources to deal with *expected* fallout.

Who does things like that? It betrays a lack of care. It's all part of the same msg. Like so many customers asking for a numeric remote (for years), and nothing. The latest "before we take time off for the holidays" update added 1000+ channels. Who is going to hold the channel-change button to step through all those? A numeric keypad is absolutely necessary for that. (And, that same update disabled holding the channel change button down. You have to press/release for each channel.).

Places I've worked, people would be fired for stuff like this. But, at Roku it appears to be status quo. That's why people have bad attitudes here. People buy something and expect it to work, be stable, etc. Not *undermined* by the very company who produced it.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Jgaltx
Level 8

Amen, brother!

Gary8
Level 9

I could not have said it better. On that subject, I am looking at an android box to replace my NOW DEAD roku 4. Been waiting a year for a fix with no luck. I am looking at an Ematic Jetstream, it has ir remote and toslink that I need. Do you have any experience with android streamers?? Thanks for any input, sorry that roku also dragged YOU into this $$$ wasting scheme. Maybe roku can at least help by aiding in a search for reliable alternatives. Hopefully this forum will work better than their streamers! (roku user for 6 years)