Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Latest update breaks 4k 60hz

Jump to solution

@Maltomare Thanks for reaching out. Our team is actively working towards further resolution of this issue and hopes to have another update available soon. In the meantime, please feel free to send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, and a brief description of the specific behavior you are seeing. I will help take a closer look and see what other options we can provide in the meantime. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
Iceman8801
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Kgreen29 wrote:
Tanner its the same issue everyone is posting about except more detail is that its 60hz that causes it. I have roku ultra connected to a 4k capable pioneer elite receiver to a 4k 60hz hdr vizio ultra. Before update all was fine. After if set at 60hz or autodetect at 60hz display breaks. If its on its flashing in and out black. If receiver was off and turned on no display is detected. Have to pull plug on roku to get the display. Setting to 4k 30hz hdr stops the issues. Its not just me but everyone on here saying the same thing. So Roku needs to admit they created a problem and fix it. Stop saying try this, check that. Im a high level IT guy im telling you its broken. Something wrong with the 60hz handshake.

@RokuTannerD I am experiencing this EXACTLY ever since my 2018 Ultra upgraded on Nov. 25. It worked fine previously.

TV: Samsung UN65JS8500

AVR: Pioneer VSX-933

Roku Ultra (2018)

Iceman8801
Level 9

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Thanks for continuing to share your reports here. We are continuing to investigate these reports and work toward further resolution.

If you haven't already, please include your TV's specific make/model, and any A/V receiver make/model that you are using when reporting an issue. This type of information is helpful for our team as they continue to look into these reports. Generating an issue report tracker ID whenever you observe an issue occurring by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly on your remote is also a big help. 

We'll continue to provide any further updates we hear as we know more. In the meantime, as a temporary workaround, you may try setting your display type to 4K 30 Hz / 4K HDR 30Hz in Settings>Display type to see if this helps. Please feel free to reach out via private message if you have any other questions or additional details to share. 

Thanks,

Tanner

My main issue here is like the last time a vendor came into my place of work and during a PoC on a network switch, he suggested we downgrade our code in order to get something to work properly that has been operating just fine all along. Dropping 4k is no problem for me, but I REFUSE to lose HDR. This isn't a solution unfortunately. I'll just plug my roku into a WEMO switch and toggle it on and off until you guys resolve this I suppose.

Kgreen29
Level 8

Jump to solution
Honestly as a tech guy myself what is going on here is completely unnacceptable. First your qa if they even exist did a terrible job. This is not a hidden bug but a massive one. Second, to push an update before holiday when no one is working is crazy. Three if you learn its broken to a point of bricking it, you pull the update. You dont keep letting it roll out so unaware people buy one and it bricks those. Then you put in a rollback option. I would not be able to leave till we restored functionality if its something i broke holiday or not. I advise your qa get multiple vendor tv and receivers for testing. When an issue is so widespread you dont keep asking for details on equip when its everyone. You see it yourself. But apparently no one there has any video equip. What was it tested on a tube tv cause any modern receiver and or tv was bricked. This is all inexcusable for a company publicly traded and hoping to be the defacto streamer. Instead you killed all your users over a holiday non the less and pestered them with meaningless questions like you guys had no idea what anyone was talking about. Your stock should tank for this. It reaks of lack of organization from bottom to top. As an investor id be heading for the hills. How do you plan on making this right. Im not just talking about fixing this anymore. Roku needs to make it right via credits or something for all the wasted time users were forced to chase a endless rabbit hole replacing equipment and testing and doing your job for you. **bleep** i did your job. Told you the hdcp 60hz handshake is broken. Id be out on the street if i let something like this happen and didn't immediately rollback.
As a tech guy who talks tech with others this put a really bad rep on you guys.
cricex
Level 8

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD please roll back both of my Roku Ultras, thank you!

cricex
Level 8

Jump to solution
Interesting, my last post was edited and the post I quoted was deleted
MrBinary
Level 8

Jump to solution
Tanner, can you roll back my settings to 9.1, what info do you need from me to do it?
krb813
Level 8

Jump to solution
Tanner, are you able to put me back to 9.1. I do not know how to PM you on here.
Iceman8801
Level 9

Jump to solution

@krb813 wrote:
Tanner, are you able to put me back to 9.1. I do not know how to PM you on here.

Everyone that is attempting to talk to Tanner .. find a post in this thread and click his name. It'll take you to a screen that will allow you to DM him there. He replied to me and it's a misconception that you can go back to 9.1 He can explain to you as he did to me the options once you DM him.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the notes here. We are still actively investigating the issue reported and working toward a resolution. Through the course of testing with some users, devices may have gone through various updates across multiple versions of software. We are working toward an update to help address the issues that have been reported for some users. Apologies for any misconceptions this may have caused. 

Please feel free to send me a private message with your Roku device serial number and a brief description of the behavior you are seeing, I'd be happy to see what other recommendations we can make in the meantime. 

Please stay tuned for additional news—I'll be sure to provide further updates once they are available. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager