Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kgreen29
Level 8

Latest update breaks 4k 60hz

Jump to solution
60hz its broken since newest update. Causes screen to keep flashing black. Knocking it down to 30hz fixes it. Auto detect sees 4k hdr 60hz but its messed up. Also if receiver is off and then turned on roku set to 60hz shows no signal. Have to pull power and restart roku to get display. Again setting to 30hz solves this.
Please fix the 60hz issue. Was fine before this last update
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Latest update breaks 4k 60hz

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, 

We appreciate your patience while we've continued working to address the issue we heard reported. We have just made a new update available on supported devices, by manually checking for a system update, which should help here. 

Please visit Settings>System>System update>Check now to perform a system update and install the latest update 9.2 build 4806 on supported devices. 

Then, make sure to change your current selection in Settings>Display type back to 'Auto detect'. 

A few important notes regarding 4K 60Hz & 4K HDR 60Hz:

- If you are using a 4K TV and/or AVR, you'll need to ensure that all settings are configured/enabled to support HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2, HDR (such as Deep Color on LG TVs, or HDR+ on Samsung, HDR mode on Sony TVs, etc.) and HDCP 2.2 certified HDMI cables. You may also need to review the settings on your TV/AVR to ensure that certain advanced features are enabled for proper 4K 60 Hz / 4K 60Hz HDR display type detection, and/or try adjusting HDR subsampling settings. 

- If you have enabled/modified any advanced Roku display settings during troubleshooting, such as 'Auto-detect display refresh rate' or changed HDR subsampling settings, try turning these off or changing them back to default settings. 

- You might need to power cycle your device and/or TV/AVR in order to help clear up any unresolved issues. You might also try removing and reinserting any HDMI cables connecting your devices. 

Please keep us posted from there and I can continue assisting with reviewing setup/configuration information, or passing information over to the team. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

73 Replies
Maltomare
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. Ended up buying an Apple TV 4K which works fine. I like the Roku better, so I hope they do something soon. 

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Kgreen29 @Maltomare 

Thanks for letting us know what you're experiencing. Sorry to hear about the issue! Could you please provide a few more details here? 

- What make and model of TV are you suing with your device? 

- Have you double check settings on your TV to ensure that any available HDR or UHD settings are enabled, such as LG's 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color' or Sony's 'HDR Mode'? 

- Is your Roku device connected to your TV through an A/V receiver or soundbar? If so, what is the make and model? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
Kgreen29
Level 8

Jump to solution
Tanner its the same issue everyone is posting about except more detail is that its 60hz that causes it. I have roku ultra connected to a 4k capable pioneer elite receiver to a 4k 60hz hdr vizio ultra. Before update all was fine. After if set at 60hz or autodetect at 60hz display breaks. If its on its flashing in and out black. If receiver was off and turned on no display is detected. Have to pull plug on roku to get the display. Setting to 4k 30hz hdr stops the issues. Its not just me but everyone on here saying the same thing. So Roku needs to admit they created a problem and fix it. Stop saying try this, check that. Im a high level IT guy im telling you its broken. Something wrong with the 60hz handshake.
Terzik
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am experiencing basically the same.  I had to do a bit of searching for while.  It seems we all agree the update is imperfect, the experiences however seem to vary (As do user descriptions of symptoms).

When I went to use my roku today, it was behaving strangely.  My screen never went black, but it did flash about every 5 seconds and audio would drop for about 1 sec.  I read around and tried the typical canned options, restart, factory restart, etc.  Pretty much useless as the performance did not improve.

Eventually I stumbled upon this post and switching to 30Hz does seem to eliminate the issue.  However 30HZ is not a solution but a symptom of the real problem.

Roku Ultra 4660X,  9.2.0 4750-46

LG OLED65C8PUA - up to date

Yamaha RX A1070 - up to date

3 different 18Gbps hdmi cables (3ft)

I was watching 4K HDR 60Hz last night (well, 2am today) and everything was just fine.  Today I have garbage and the only thing that changed was the update to 9.2.0 at 5:35am Today.  So, everything was fine, then everything was garbage ... please stop trying to blame my equipment or the hdmi cable and start addressing the real issue.

If you are not going to provide timely solutions to failed updates at least provide us the ability to roll back to the previous version.  Or allow us to disable updates so we can wait until you finally get it right.

Kgreen29
Level 8

Jump to solution
Seriously roll back the updates immediately. Your updates to the update to fix it are worse. Your QA dept should all be sent packing to allow this **bleep** to pass.
Grimdar
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having the exact same issue. 4k60 doesn’t seem to work anymore unless I hit the reset button every time. After browsing these forums I’m blown away at the number of people having this issue and the lack of solutions from Roku?

timc166293
Level 8

Jump to solution
Same issue. Please buy plenty of 4K tv this friday an start testing. Need roll back and manual update setting.
ndschilling
Level 8

Jump to solution
Please @RokuTannerD stop posting on every thread for everyone to check their settings on their TV's. Not only is it the least helpful thing that could be said right now, it is also the equivalent of Comcast telling us to check our routers! Is anyone even working on this issue or are we to assume that Roku's stance is that it's our TV's and cables!

We all had working setups with 4k running and then the last few updates have broken it for all of us! We have all given you very detailed info about what happens, what causes it, and what our setups are! Either fix it or roll us all back so we can get back to using our products that we paid for as advertised. Right now they are all expensive paper weights!
Tags (1)
jamo1
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same problem. Back out the last update. It's screwing up everyone.