Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

@thefamousjmc wrote:

Yes right, I forgot to mention mov files which I do view on there. What would really be super excellent is if Roku media player played back video TS folder as a DVD with menus and everything. That would be phenomenal!

I don't think any streaming player is going to give you DVD menu support.   Plex will at least handle chapters.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@Gary-94080 wrote:

another "update" is out.

version 5.3b4 Aug 20, 2020

none of my concerns have been fixed. another fail as far as I'm concerned.

no way to get to the Roku screensaver when listening to audio.

maximum advance while playing audio is only 60 seconds, not good on a 4 hour track.

when listening to an audio file that is the only one in the folder, the pickup where you left off feature doesn't allow you to get back to the beginning.  every time you go back to the file it starts where you exited last. so what happens is that point always moves towards the end of the file.

also, if you turn off Request media type at startup, it still glitches two or three times before being allowed to continue on.

I noticed that if you already rated the app there is no provision to rate this "new" version.  also, can't go lower than one star.

I posted this about 8 hours ago, but I don't see it here so I'll try to recreate it.  [I noticed my original post reappeared after a day or so]

my initial post (above) was premature.  my RMC did not update until I was in and out of RMC about 5-6 times.  the Roku screensaver does work for me now.

when I was testing the update there was a couple of points when I thought RMC locked up.  at the time I was playing a 4 hour file so the progress indicator wasn't showing any movement.  when I changed to a shorter file I could see the progress indicator advancing.  I tried a video file and the video played, but no sound.  I tried the Xfinity app, again video, not sound.  I could hear the button sounds when I used the remote.

I checked the settings and didn't find anything that may have changed to cause this.  finally gave up and did a system restart and that seemed to correct the problem.  the project manager for RMC should be made aware that there is probably a bug somewhere in the code that can mute the Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The latest rev of RMP (5.3 b4) did solve some of my functional problems.

For Videos, there’s a Playlist Mode option (default = On).  When turned Off, after the current video ends, it will not start playing the next video.  This works on my newer Roku boxes (Roku Express).

Also, the RMP screen now displays normally on a SDTV, with my Roku 1.  

However, there’s a new problem on the Roku 1 that seems to be more than RMP (likely the OS itself).  First, when I go into settings & try to go down the list (with the up or diwn arrow buttons), on the second time I hit the button, the list starts continuously scrolling.  In RMP, when I try to select Playlist Mode, it won’t move down to that selection or even to OK.

So for me it’s 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards.  They still have plenty of functional issues to resolve.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Since 99% of the **bleep**ing I've seen going on in this thread concern video problems I assume the coder is focusing on that issue right now.

My original issue of 18,000 BOUGHT AND PAID FOR MP3's simply crash the system when you try to shuffle them all continues the same as a month ago.

Furthremore, it still takes out the sound chip in the process requiring a system reboot.

This is what happens when you give coders training wheel script languages like Java and Perl to write complex, efficient programs for embedded systems.

Roku probably gave the job to a second year comp sci student and this is his idea of "elegant, debugged code." Smiley Tongue

Gary 

Highlighted
Level 10

@happyrat wrote:

Furthremore, it still takes out the sound chip in the process requiring a system reboot.

I see that I'm not the only one to have that sound issue.  when that happened I thought great a media player that bricks the audio!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

two things I do not like with the latest version.

listening to audio files

1. having to hit pause to see the play time

2. time on long files is only to the nearest minute.

also, the problem still exists for folders with only one file.  when it plays to the end and repeats the file, RMC does not start the file from the beginning.  it restarts from the last exit point or the last point you press play after using fast forward.  and two things I just noticed, RMC takes longer to repeat and when it does repeat the progress bar does not reset, it stays solid white.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

version 5.3 build 4 Aug 20, 2020

RMC audio player just bricked my audio again, had to do a reset to get it back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

version 5.3 build 5 Aug 25, 2020

the RMP is still causing the Roku to lose audio.  so far it has been a half-dozen times requiring a system restart to get the audio back.

playing audio files with repeat and shuffle on, RMP will stop playing.  sometimes pressing play or restart from the beginning will get it started again.  sometimes it requires exiting RMP and restarting RMP.

also, I can verify the photo play problem.  it will not continuously play.  it does repeat but at some point RMP exits to the home menu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Gary-94080 wrote:

the RMP is still causing the Roku to lose audio.  so far it has been a half-dozen times requiring a system restart to get the audio back.

playing audio files with repeat and shuffle on, RMP will stop playing.  sometimes pressing play or restart from the beginning will get it started again.  sometimes it requires exiting RMP and restarting RMP.

also, I can verify the photo play problem.  it will not continuously play.  it does repeat but at some point RMP exits to the home menu.

Do you know how many songs you've played before losing audio? I left mine running for over 30 minutes without an issue. But I don't have a very large music collection, so perhaps the library size is the issue. I know the developers are aware of problems with large libraries. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

Do you know how many songs you've played before losing audio? I left mine running for over 30 minutes without an issue. But I don't have a very large music collection, so perhaps the library size is the issue. I know the developers are aware of problems with large libraries. 

I'm using a new NAS I got to run Channels Plus DVR.  so far I have been only running it with about 10% of 4 Tb capacity.  I have only added selected files so I don't have a large number of media files on it.  the Roku does not have access to the DVR files. 

audio file folders run from one audio file to under 200.  total number of media files if all media selected is just under 700. 

the longest audio file is just under 4 hours, in a single folder. 

playing time could be from a few minutes to several hours when the problem appeared. 

I would have been changing tracks, changing folders, checking the restart of files, checking start from beginning, and checking replay at end of file.

0 Kudos