Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

EMBY NEWBIE QUESTION:  I started to set up Emby Server and the Emby app on my Roku Ultra, but did not finish the app installation.  I was surprised to see that the Emby Server collection of all my mp4 files on my computer showed up as an option in the RMP window.  (I have 4 USB drives connected through a USB hub to the Roku, and the Emby collection shows up now as a fifth option.)  No need to run the Emby app - somehow RMP sees the collection, which is networked throughout the house via wifi, and lets me play it via the RMP player.  My question is whether that is a normal way for Emby Server to work, or is this perhaps an upgrade to RMP to allow it to see and play videos coming from locally-streamed collections?  If the latter, kudos to the team working on the RMP fixes, since this is a welcome improvement, at least to me.

Highlighted
Level 21

@jvo1944 wrote:

EMBY NEWBIE QUESTION:  I started to set up Emby Server and the Emby app on my Roku Ultra, but did not finish the app installation.  I was surprised to see that the Emby Server collection of all my mp4 files on my computer showed up as an option in the RMP window.  (I have 4 USB drives connected through a USB hub to the Roku, and the Emby collection shows up now as a fifth option.)  No need to run the Emby app - somehow RMP sees the collection, which is networked throughout the house via wifi, and lets me play it via the RMP player.  My question is whether that is a normal way for Emby Server to work, or is this perhaps an upgrade to RMP to allow it to see and play videos coming from locally-streamed collections?  If the latter, kudos to the team working on the RMP fixes, since this is a welcome improvement, at least to me.

Emby should have no interaction with USB drives connected directly to the Roku player. Emby has merely added your media from the computer, which you might have done manually or it might just use the user media folder locations by default. 

RMP sees the Emby server because Emby is acting as a DLNA server. RMP only works with media connected directly to the Roku (via USB for the devices that have it) or via DLNA. RMP has always worked with DLNA servers, so it's not a new addition. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 12

Both plex and emby will act as DLNA servers for clients other than their own.

Highlighted
Level 8

Yes right, I forgot to mention mov files which I do view on there. What would really be super excellent is if Roku media player played back video TS folder as a DVD with menus and everything. That would be phenomenal!

Highlighted
Level 10

another "update" is out.

version 5.3b4 Aug 20, 2020

none of my concerns have been fixed. another fail as far as I'm concerned.

no way to get to the Roku screensaver when listening to audio.

maximum advance while playing audio is only 60 seconds, not good on a 4 hour track.

when listening to an audio file that is the only one in the folder, the pickup where you left off feature doesn't allow you to get back to the beginning.  every time you go back to the file it starts where you exited last. so what happens is that point always moves towards the end of the file.

also, if you turn off Request media type at startup, it still glitches two or three times before being allowed to continue on.

I noticed that if you already rated the app there is no provision to rate this "new" version.  also, can't go lower than one star.

Highlighted
Level 21

Screensaver worked for me when I was testing it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I was updated to the latest version (5.3/build 4) today.
My main use case is playing music from a DLNA server (Serviio).
I see a few changes in UI; unfortunately they are mostly not improvements from my point of view:

- Track length is no longer shown when playing music. There is still a progress bar, but it does not always update correctly (probably related to RMP getting track length wrong - see below).

- When I hit pause there is a different progress bar that does include time played and time remaining in the track. Unfortunately, it is frequently wrong in various ways. Sometimes it shows both times as 0 s. Other times the total time is wrong my orders of magnitude. A track I just played with a total time of 6:53 (that's 6 minutes and 53 seconds) was listed with a total time of 5 HOURS and 44 minutes, so the progress bar never advanced. For longer tracks, the times (even when correct) seem to be rounded to the nearest minute, which is less useful.

- The player now uses the system screensaver. Other people prefer this and had asked for it as an option here. I preferred the RMP screensaver when playing music (album art and info moving around the screen), which no longer seems to be available.

- I think (not totally sure) that album art when playing music (without the screensaver on) has gotten slightly smaller again, though still bigger than in 4.2. For me, larger album art display was the one big improvement in the 5.x releases.

I appreviate that development is still active, and taking feedback from this forum into account, but it seems like changes are still being released without adequate testing.

Highlighted
Level 10

@Gary-94080 wrote:

another "update" is out.

version 5.3b4 Aug 20, 2020

none of my concerns have been fixed. another fail as far as I'm concerned.

no way to get to the Roku screensaver when listening to audio.

maximum advance while playing audio is only 60 seconds, not good on a 4 hour track.

when listening to an audio file that is the only one in the folder, the pickup where you left off feature doesn't allow you to get back to the beginning.  every time you go back to the file it starts where you exited last. so what happens is that point always moves towards the end of the file.

also, if you turn off Request media type at startup, it still glitches two or three times before being allowed to continue on.

I noticed that if you already rated the app there is no provision to rate this "new" version.  also, can't go lower than one star.

ok, premature comments.  the new version did not load until I had been in and out of the RMC 5 or 6 times.  the Roku screensaver does come up.

as I was testing the new version I noticed a couple of times that it seemed to lock up.  I was playing a long file so there was no movement on the progress bar.  I switched to a short file and could see movement on the progress bar.  it was playing but I lost audio.  I was getting the button noises but no audio from the player.  I switched to a video file and the video played, but not audio.  I switched to the Xfinity app and again video, but not sound.  the RMC bricked my audio!  I thought is this some kind of a sick joke.

I finally gave up trying to see if there was a setting that got changed for audio and did a system reset.  that seemed to fix the problem, but the developer should be made aware that there is a bug in there somewhere that can mute the Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm amazed that NOTHING has been done to fix the user user interface.  It would seem to me that this should be an easy fix priority. Here's what I wrote way back on July 5th ...

The interface for this update is poorly thought out.

Its difficult to make out file names AND see the preview image of the file because they overlay. 

Every row in a folder says 1 to 5 there is no rolling count ex "6 to 10, 11 to 15".

The fifth file in a row is partially "chopped off" from display.

Its difficult to find the number of files in a folder AND that frequently doesn't display due to character limitations.

There may be worthwhile upgrades behind the interface but, I think ROKU does us no good service with this front end!

ROKU - GO BACK TO THE PRIOR DISPLAY!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Minbari wrote:

I'm amazed that NOTHING has been done to fix the user user interface.  It would seem to me that this should be an easy fix priority. Here's what I wrote way back on July 5th ...

The interface for this update is poorly thought out.

Its difficult to make out file names AND see the preview image of the file because they overlay. 

Every row in a folder says 1 to 5 there is no rolling count ex "6 to 10, 11 to 15".

The fifth file in a row is partially "chopped off" from display.

Its difficult to find the number of files in a folder AND that frequently doesn't display due to character limitations.

There may be worthwhile upgrades behind the interface but, I think ROKU does us no good service with this front end!

ROKU - GO BACK TO THE PRIOR DISPLAY!!!Next

They have already said they cannot go back to the old version. They haven't said why, but my guess is the old version used something that wasn't going to work much longer. 

They have also acknowledged that the UI needs work. But they are prioritizing functionality issues first, then go back and start working on the UI. Personally, I care more that it works right than it being better looking. That will come with time. 

Dan