Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

I believe the next release of RMP will be coming soon, but I of course don't know their internal schedule. I believe  it will be addressing a number of issues, but I wouldn't call it a complete match to the former version yet. 

I'm just guessing, but I believe the old version of RMP had to be replaced due to it using some sort of coding that wasn't going to work much longer. I just felt that the developers were being pushed to get the new one out. I do know the developers are taking all of the comments made here seriously, and are prioritizing them to handle the more serious issues first. Many of us have complained about the UI, but I agree with the developer that it's more important to get the functionality issues resolved, and then they can spend the time to make it look better. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 10

as the saying goes "I'll believe it when I see it"

it's been almost a month since the last "update" that didn't address my major concerns and actually made some things worse.

this whole fiasco started way back in mid June when the first version was dumped on us.

Roku has pretty much burned their reputation as far as I'm concerned and it will take a lot to get me back to neutral.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am new to Roku, just took a bet on my Roku Tv set as a 4k upgrade on my Samsung.  But I did not like the RMP that came along with the unit.  I actually like the re-design, but it is still very poor compared to a Plex server.... but I cannot afford a dedicated machine with enough storage for a plex server because it would cost as much as the new Tv did and that would be foolish.  All I ask is for multiple audio to be enabled in RMP, then I will be happy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@thefamousjmc wrote:

I am new to Roku, just took a bet on my Roku Tv set as a 4k upgrade on my Samsung.  But I did not like the RMP that came along with the unit.  I actually like the re-design, but it is still very poor compared to a Plex server.... but I cannot afford a dedicated machine with enough storage for a plex server because it would cost as much as the new Tv did and that would be foolish.  All I ask is for multiple audio to be enabled in RMP, then I will be happy.

You can select audio tracks in the current version. Once playback has started, press the * button and select the Audio track. I did notice there's a bug, in that once you select an alternate audio track it won't switch back without stopping and resuming the video. I tested this with a MKV file, so if yours are in a different container I can't say if it works the same. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

No it doesn't work for me, even with MKV.  It says "only the default audio track is available"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

I hate it ... the neon graphics ... especially. I thought it was an offline/no network version at first. What I really wish was in the upgrade was the ability to STREAM directly from my connected NETWORK computer on same WiFi ....

Highlighted
Level 8

The option of streaming directly is offered in PLEX and with a chromecast.  I don't see the problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Plex isn't the answer for me .... I've tried it, but I was spoiled by a system that existed for a minute called StreamNation ... and I guess I've been looking for that ever since. So I just download to a USB drive and then watch from there ... it's cumbersome and I can't get the immediate download/view I'm looking for from any other streaming platform

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Then I suggest a chromecast device.  I have the roku and chromecast and use both regularly.  But I vastly prefer the plex server option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

If you mean you want to stream other people's stuff, that's probably not going to happen, although plex does have a group sharing feature to allow others to stream from your server.

The plex server also has a DLNA option (which is on by default) so you can use other players, including the roku media player if you just want to save the trouble of copying to a usb.

Your other options would be emby and jellyfin which are similar to plex, and at this point jellyfin only handles video.

0 Kudos