Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@atc98092 wrote:


I just looked at the Jellyfin site. It doesn't seem any different than Plex or Emby, just another option. Since I already run a DLNA media server, I'm not interested in another server/client option. But I wish them the best of luck creating another viable option for Roku. Looking through some of their info, it seems it might have a DLNA component as well. But I don't know if that's from the server side or the client. Both Plex and Emby support DLNA from the server side, but not the player. 


I don't think it is intended to be 'different', just to be as good while remaining open source and free of fees. I think it is like plex and emby where the server also serves DLNA to work with other clients but uses a better-defined protocol to establish client capabilities and transcoding needs for its own clients.  It may be that the current version of DLNA provides that, but I don't think it always did and you have to pay to get the spec - or at least you used to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@lesmikesell wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:


I just looked at the Jellyfin site. It doesn't seem any different than Plex or Emby, just another option. Since I already run a DLNA media server, I'm not interested in another server/client option. But I wish them the best of luck creating another viable option for Roku. Looking through some of their info, it seems it might have a DLNA component as well. But I don't know if that's from the server side or the client. Both Plex and Emby support DLNA from the server side, but not the player. 


I don't think it is intended to be 'different', just to be as good while remaining open source and free of fees. I think it is like plex and emby where the server also serves DLNA to work with other clients but uses a better-defined protocol to establish client capabilities and transcoding needs for its own clients.  It may be that the current version of DLNA provides that, but I don't think it always did and you have to pay to get the spec - or at least you used to.


Yeah, I didn't mean different in a good or bad way. Just that it's another server/client product. But it's good to remain open source. Yeah, it's always better to have a client that's written specifically for the server, for the exact reasons you list. But when you want to stream to multiple devices across the network without relying on a specific client app, DLNA does a great job. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@AllenCohn wrote:

I have a very basic question: why does a media player access my computer's files via a DLNA media server at all?

When I was using an Amazon Fire TV Stick I played videos over my LAN using the VLC Media Player app. It just found folders on my PC that I had set to be shared/discoverable.

I don't understand what the media server intermediary adds to the experience.

Thanks for educating a newbie.

Allen

 


 There are several advantages for using a specialized media server.  They probably originated because file serving was proprietary and did not interoperate well across different types of devices - and they don't generally share authentication schemes.  Also file servers often did not handle broken connections well and that is common with media players.

But, in addition to just providing access to the content, media servers can serve metadata like photo thumbnails and descriptions, and clients can request transcoding to formats their players can handle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@atc98092 wrote:

But when you want to stream to multiple devices across the network without relying on a specific client app, DLNA does a great job. 

I always consider it an 'adventure' when I try a new DLNA client or a server or client version update.  You never know which things are going to work or not.    I thought I used to have serviio working with the photo player app on my Sony TV but after updates to both only about 10% of my photos will display.  (Not thrilled with Plex there either because it makes them low resolution).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@atc98092 wrote:

I've asked the developer if the pre v5 version could be brought back as a legacy version, and the response was it wasn't going to happen.


This right here in a nutshell is really why devices like Roku shouldn't even be supported at all, by anyone. If you, the user, are willing to completely give up control of your own hardware, then this is what you deserve. (And I'm talking to myself here as well.)

Remember... it is YOUR equipment. It is YOUR Internet connection. You don't own the copyrights.. but you DO own the hardware. YOU paid for it, YOU are paying for the Internet connection, therefore YOU, and ONLY YOU, should be in control of what gets to run, what it gets to access, and whether or not you want to install upgrades, or roll those upgrades back if they don't work out for you.

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@Psilobite wrote:

Remember... it is YOUR equipment. It is YOUR Internet connection. You don't own the copyrights.. but you DO own the hardware. YOU paid for it, YOU are paying for the Internet connection, therefore YOU, and ONLY YOU, should be in control of what gets to run, what it gets to access, and whether or not you want to install upgrades, or roll those upgrades back if they don't work out for you.

 


If you really want to do everything yourself you could get a Raspberry pi computer and run Kodi, vlc, and web browsers.  But then you have to cobble your own remote control.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

I saw two threads raving about two Roku screen saver scenes.

if only we could see them while listening to audio.......

the last time I did any programming on a computer was over 30 years ago and I believe punch cards were involved.  even with my Jurassic knowledge adding another toggle to the top of the screen to turn off the RMC screen saver should be an easy task.

what the !@#$ is taking so long?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@Gary-94080 wrote:

I saw two threads raving about two Roku screen saver scenes.

if only we could see them while listening to audio.......

the last time I did any programming on a computer was over 30 years ago and I believe punch cards were involved.  even with my Jurassic knowledge adding another toggle to the top of the screen to turn off the RMC screen saver should be an easy task.

what the !@#$ is taking so long?


They did fix the screensaver hiccup that would turn it off when switching songs. I don't know how complicated it is to use the Roku default screensaver, but the developers are completely aware that users want that ability. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@atc98092 wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

I saw two threads raving about two Roku screen saver scenes.

if only we could see them while listening to audio.......

the last time I did any programming on a computer was over 30 years ago and I believe punch cards were involved.  even with my Jurassic knowledge adding another toggle to the top of the screen to turn off the RMC screen saver should be an easy task.

what the !@#$ is taking so long?


They did fix the screensaver hiccup that would turn it off when switching songs. I don't know how complicated it is to use the Roku default screensaver, but the developers are completely aware that users want that ability. 


of all of the faults on the long list, that one has to be the least in terms of usefulness. 

adding a screen saver to RMC in the first place was a total waste of effort.  if there is a handbook for Roku project managers the number one rule should be DO NOT INCLUDE A SCREEN SAVER IN ANY OF THE APPS.

if the current project manager for RMC had any familiarity with the product he/she should have know that Roku has a native screen saver.  from the outside there seems to be money and effort being spent to add value to the native screen saver. why override it? it would have been better to just rip out the RMC screen saver code.

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

Well, with music playback many users do like having the screen display the music info, and using a screensaver allows the elements to move around to minimize pixel burnin. But it should be selectable between the RMP and default Roku screensaver. (Sheesh, I had to make a single word of burnin or the forum wouldn't take it... Smiley Sad )

And there were many complaints about what was fixed, so it really wasn't minor to some users. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos