Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

@atc98092 wrote:

I've asked the developer if the pre v5 version could be brought back as a legacy version, and the response was it wasn't going to happen. Coupled with the forced deadline they seemed to have been working under, I wonder if there was something the previous version used that has been disabled. 

Thanks for the update.

It's a shame that they won't bring back RMP Ver 4, at least for older boxes with analog outputs that were updated with Ver 5 (such as the Roku-1) and made fully non-functional with SD TVs (only a portion of the screen is displayed).  It would be an easy "fix" and go a long way in restoring customers' good-faith.

I know this is not really the fault of the Engineers (I'm one, myself) but due to poor management.  Been there, have the T-shirt.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Psilobite wrote:

Remember... it is YOUR equipment. It is YOUR Internet connection. You don't own the copyrights.. but you DO own the hardware. YOU paid for it, YOU are paying for the Internet connection, therefore YOU, and ONLY YOU, should be in control of what gets to run, what it gets to access, and whether or not you want to install upgrades, or roll those upgrades back if they don't work out for you.

If you really want to do everything yourself you could get a Raspberry pi computer and run Kodi, vlc, and web browsers.  But then you have to cobble your own remote control.

I actually use a Raspberry Pi as my DLNA Server (running miniDLNA), and it works really well, using a fraction of the power a "real" PC needs.  If I had to use a Raspberry Pi as a DLNA client, I'd try to get by mostly with a wireless mouse (with a small wireless keyboard on hand, if necessary),  This would work for me with HD TVs but would require more hardware for old SD TVs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

Well, with music playback many users do like having the screen display the music info, and using a screensaver allows the elements to move around to minimize pixel burnin. But it should be selectable between the RMP and default Roku screensaver. (Sheesh, I had to make a single word of burnin or the forum wouldn't take it... Smiley Sad )

And there were many complaints about what was fixed, so it really wasn't minor to some users. 

I wouldn't put much credence in the number of people that asked that the change of audio tracks not trigger out of screen saver mode.  I have have raised it in the forums and at least twice through direct requests to Roku.  in one of my direct requests to Roku, they requested I provide them with a video of the problem.  so I am one of those that find it important. 

but, my requests have been in the context "fix the problem with the native Roku screen saver not activating and make sure you fix audio track change problem so it does not effect the native Roku screen saver."

two things, if the RMC screen saver did not exist no one would have been asking for the change of track problem to be fixed.  the second thing, if the RMC screen saver did not exist the native Roku screen saver would activate.  if someone wanted to know what track was being played all they would have to do would be press any key on the remote besides the power button.  I myself had done just that to see a title.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

another fatal flaw with the new RMP.

I have an audio file that is about 4 hours long and it is the only one in the folder.

I found out that when it gets to the end and restarts the file, it doesn't start at the beginning, it starts at the point that it was last stopped.  which means that I can never get back to the beginning and the length of time it will play will keep getting shorter and shorter towards the end. 

to see what would happen I exited the file with 12 seconds left.  my 4 hour audio file now plays in a loop but only the last 12 seconds.

to the programmer, you need to add some lines of code to reset the place holder to zero when track gets to the end.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"It's a shame that they won't bring back RMP Ver 4, at least for older boxes with analog outputs that were updated with Ver 5 (such as the Roku-1) and made fully non-functional with SD TVs (only a portion of the screen is displayed)."

I've found it's even worse than that. I have an old Samsung CRT set connected to a Roku Express (the model with analog outputs). Not only is just a portion of the media player menu screen displayed, but videos will not play even if you can find them. When selected all that's displayed is a screen full of horizontal lines, the kind you used to get on really old vacuum tube sets when the horizontal hold went out. The problem only occurs with the Roku Media Player. Everything else works OK.

RokuMediaPlayerOnCRT.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Have you figured out why the auto play has lost its **bleep** mind and i wake up to silence every 4 hours? I know i could run my files through my computer but i'm not doing it. too complicated to explain why i'm not. is there some weird fix for the time being until the other issues such as long file names cut short etc. are fixed? i wake up when its silent for a while and a sudden noise happens. i need to sleep and would rather play what i want as i have since 2012. Sorry i'm cranky i've been patient checked in every couple days hoping someone has fixed this issue. i do not know exactly what the length of time of me not touching the remote the auto play stops but i wake up to the home screen so maybe it's crashing in my sleep?

Highlighted
Level 21

All I can say is that RMP is being actively worked on, and the auto-play is on the list. I can't say how long it will be for the next release, or if that particular issue will be resolved with it. But it will be resolved. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@toby3000 wrote:

Have you figured out why the auto play has lost its **bleep** mind and i wake up to silence every 4 hours? I know i could run my files through my computer but i'm not doing it. too complicated to explain why i'm not. is there some weird fix for the time being until the other issues such as long file names cut short etc. are fixed? i wake up when its silent for a while and a sudden noise happens. i need to sleep and would rather play what i want as i have since 2012. Sorry i'm cranky i've been patient checked in every couple days hoping someone has fixed this issue. i do not know exactly what the length of time of me not touching the remote the auto play stops but i wake up to the home screen so maybe it's crashing in my sleep?

this might get deleted, but you might want to look at getting a Western Digital TV box.  they are no longer in production so there is no concern about updates effecting operation.

some of the earlier versions have RCA AV outputs so you can actually run the audio to powered speakers so you won't have to have a TV on all night.  the last model they made, WD TV Live, also has AV output but you will need to make sure it still has the adapter cable.

I am also waiting for Roku to fix this flawed update of RMP.  lack of an official Roku response leads me to believe fixing the problems is not a priority.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Gary-94080 wrote:

@toby3000 wrote:

this might get deleted, but you might want to look at getting a Western Digital TV box.  they are no longer in production so there is no concern about updates effecting operation.

some of the earlier versions have RCA AV outputs so you can actually run the audio to powered speakers so you won't have to have a TV on all night.  the last model they made, WD TV Live, also has AV output but you will need to make sure it still has the adapter cable.

I am also waiting for Roku to fix this flawed update of RMP.  lack of an official Roku response leads me to believe fixing the problems is not a priority.

The WDTV boxes were good players in their time. And if all you want to play is music, either those or the original Sony Media Player (SMP-N100 and -N200) aren't bad, assuming you can find any of them. I have a couple of -N200 boxes around here somewhere. But for video playback they are only so-so. They don't have fast enough processors to keep up with higher bitrate content, and are lacking support for some codecs. And of course none of them support 4K. Of course, Roku players lack some codec support as well, which is why a DLNA server that can transcode the video and/or audio into a supported format works well. 

I know for a fact that Roku is working hard on fixing the issues with RMP, as I'm one of the beta testers. But due to NDA, I can't say what is being worked on, and when a particular item will be resolved. But they are working on it, that I can honestly say. As far as an official response, Roku has never offered any information about what is being developed. That's the way the company has always been. Not saying anything about RMP is simply normal operation for them. Good or bad, that's the way it is. And honestly, many tech companies don't discuss what is being developed, so it's not just Roku that has that stance. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

I know for a fact that Roku is working hard on fixing the issues with RMP, as I'm one of the beta testers. But due to NDA, I can't say what is being worked on, and when a particular item will be resolved. But they are working on it, that I can honestly say. As far as an official response, Roku has never offered any information about what is being developed. That's the way the company has always been. Not saying anything about RMP is simply normal operation for them. Good or bad, that's the way it is. And honestly, many tech companies don't discuss what is being developed, so it's not just Roku that has that stance. 

while there is a need for a company to keep information on new products quiet, this situation is entirely different.  Roku took something that for all intents and purposes was working as consumers expected and had relied on and broke it.  twice.  there is nothing new or innovative about a media player.

there are times for a company to keep secrets and there are times when a company should be open and transparent.  this over reliance of secrecy just leads to reduced trust and confidence in these companies.

before they even embarked on this endeavor they should have asked the users what they liked about the existing RMP and made sure that those features were retained.  then asked what could be added to improve its usefulness.  I am not aware that any of this took place.  if I had gotten an email from Roku that they were changing the media player I might have responded in order to keep the features I liked.

if they really want suggestions on how to improve it, here is one.  get rid of the first selection screen and automatically go to all media types.  it would make sense if once you made a selection and you picked your device it went to only the media type you selected, but no, you have to select again to move forward.

0 Kudos