Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 13

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@Psilobite wrote:

A lot of people use DLNA, it's a standard and it's common, so I don't get why everyone and their brother seems to think Plex is the answer.



As a standard, DLNA leaves a lot to be desired.  It does not require clients to handle any particular codecs or container types.   Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  When they don't sometimes they give useful error messages, sometimes they don't.  Sometimes you like them, sometimes you don't.  I'm sure Roku's media player meets the DLNA standards requirements.  Whether you like it or not doesn't matter to the standard.   Personally, I always thought that the DLNA standard was written by people who had a stake in keeping it from working well enough to replace the DVD market (hence the lack of menus that discs provide). 

Plex may also be somewhat constrained by the client hardware capabilities but at least it makes an effort to be consistent across platforms and to automatically transcode or remux to make things work anyway when possible.

And many NAS systems support Plex.

 

0 Kudos
Level 11

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

My NAS systems don't support Plex, and I'm not going to change them because Roku downgraded the Media Player.

Level 9

Re: ROKU MEDIA PLAYER.


@atc98092 wrote:

@pb8086 wrote:

Besides having the same problem with RMP 5.1  of being unable to turn off autoplay, I found a more serious bug.  With an SD TV, the RMP display is "zoomed in"  so you can only see a few of the icons and the text is off-screen.  This makes it unusable with an SD TV.

Is there any way to revert back to an older version of RMP?


Second question first: no you cannot revert to the former player. Users have asked but Roku doesn't seem to be willing to do it this time.

By SD TV I assume you mean a 4:3 display using the analog connections from a Premiere+ or older player. Can you verify which Roku player (model number please, not its name) you're using? If it's a really old model, it's possible that it is no longer supported. But if it's a newer player, that might be tough to test. Roku can probably do it in their lab, but there's only a handful of beta testers and I doubt if any still use an SD display. 


Another person with the autoplay issue Smiley Sad

 

I'm with many of you that Roku did a terrible job managing this release, but I'm not sure I blame them for not testing with an SD tv.  HDTV has been out for decades and a new set can be bought for dirt cheap.  Time to upgrade.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020


@lesmikesell wrote:

@Psilobite wrote:

A lot of people use DLNA, it's a standard and it's common, so I don't get why everyone and their brother seems to think Plex is the answer.



As a standard, DLNA leaves a lot to be desired.  It does not require clients to handle any particular codecs or container types.   Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  When they don't sometimes they give useful error messages, sometimes they don't.  Sometimes you like them, sometimes you don't.  I'm sure Roku's media player meets the DLNA standards requirements.  Whether you like it or not doesn't matter to the standard.   Personally, I always thought that the DLNA standard was written by people who had a stake in keeping it from working well enough to replace the DVD market (hence the lack of menus that discs provide). 

Plex may also be somewhat constrained by the client hardware capabilities but at least it makes an effort to be consistent across platforms and to automatically transcode or remux to make things work anyway when possible.

And many NAS systems support Plex.


That's where the capabilities of the DLNA server come into play. Yes, Roku devices support a limited number of containers and codecs. The DLNA server recognizes the player and its capabilities and transcodes anything that is not supported. That's the beauty of the DLNA standard. The devices don't need to support everything. I know Serviio is well configured for Roku support because I helped author the Roku profiles. As Roku devices improved (new codec support, faster hardware) the profiles were updated or new ones created to support the improved capabilities. 

There's things the Plex client can't do, which is why it's not my primary media server. It won't play one movie after another. It will only do that for TV episodes. It transcodes at times when it's not needed, and Plex doesn't support pls or m3u playlists, which I use extensively. 

But I still use Plex, because my Roku Premiere can connect and play my media when I'm traveling and connected to the hotel WiFi. I don't give a hoot for any of the TV channels the hotel offers when I can watch my own media. So I'm not against Plex. It's just another tool in my arsenal. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: ROKU MEDIA PLAYER.

Yes, I use analog A/V connections to this SD TV, set for a 4:3 display.  The Roku is a model 2710X (Roku 1).

If it's no longer supported, Roku shouldn't have updated it.  

 

 

 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: ROKU MEDIA PLAYER.


@KSrB2000 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@pb8086 wrote:

Besides having the same problem with RMP 5.1  of being unable to turn off autoplay, I found a more serious bug.  With an SD TV, the RMP display is "zoomed in"  so you can only see a few of the icons and the text is off-screen.  This makes it unusable with an SD TV.

Is there any way to revert back to an older version of RMP?


Second question first: no you cannot revert to the former player. Users have asked but Roku doesn't seem to be willing to do it this time.

By SD TV I assume you mean a 4:3 display using the analog connections from a Premiere+ or older player. Can you verify which Roku player (model number please, not its name) you're using? If it's a really old model, it's possible that it is no longer supported. But if it's a newer player, that might be tough to test. Roku can probably do it in their lab, but there's only a handful of beta testers and I doubt if any still use an SD display. 


Another person with the autoplay issue Smiley Sad

 

I'm with many of you that Roku did a terrible job managing this release, but I'm not sure I blame them for not testing with an SD tv.  HDTV has been out for decades and a new set can be bought for dirt cheap.  Time to upgrade.


It doesn't make sense to me to spend hundreds of dollars replacing a working TV because a $25 streaming box broke  (due to the manufacturer's incompetence).  I'm better off finding a hardware solution from another manufacturer.  As long as Roku sends updates to boxes that support SD TVs, they should ensure these updates work. 

 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: ROKU MEDIA PLAYER.

The 2710 is still supported by Roku, although it is quite old. It was released in Sep 2013, has a much slower processor than the later players, and many channel providers no longer support it, such as Netflix. 

I would guess that the RMP development team never tested it with an SD TV, either thinking it wasn't necessary or more likely simply forgot about that potential. But now that you've brought it up, they will likely add it to the list of things needing updates. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: ROKU MEDIA PLAYER.


@pb8086 wrote:


It doesn't make sense to me to spend hundreds of dollars replacing a working TV because a $25 streaming box broke  (due to the manufacturer's incompetence).  I'm better off finding a hardware solution from another manufacturer.  As long as Roku sends updates to boxes that support SD TVs, they should ensure these updates work. 


You won't find another solution from another manufacturer. None of the major players support SD connections any longer. I'm fairly confident that the SD functionality was an oversight, and will be addressed in a future update. 

As far as replacing a working TV, I understand your point. But broadcast TV moved to digital many years ago, and in fact is preparing for ATSC 3.0 in the near future. While they made converter boxes for SD TVs to watch ATSC 1.0 broadcasts, I doubt they will do the same for ATSC 3.0. And considering the huge improvements in image quality at even 720p over an SD set, you are missing out on a much more enjoyable experience when watching something. Just something to consider. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 13

Re: ROKU MEDIA PLAYER.


@pb8086 wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me to spend hundreds of dollars replacing a working TV because a $25 streaming box broke  (due to the manufacturer's incompetence).  I'm better off finding a hardware solution from another manufacturer.  As long as Roku sends updates to boxes that support SD TVs, they should ensure these updates work. 

You can find a new TCL TV with roku built-in for around $125 these days - and if you run an older TV much the power savings alone would pay for it even if you don't care about the video quality.

 

Level 9

Re: ROKU MEDIA PLAYER.


@lesmikesell wrote:

@pb8086 wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me to spend hundreds of dollars replacing a working TV because a $25 streaming box broke  (due to the manufacturer's incompetence).  I'm better off finding a hardware solution from another manufacturer.  As long as Roku sends updates to boxes that support SD TVs, they should ensure these updates work. 

You can find a new TCL TV with roku built-in for around $125 these days - and if you run an older TV much the power savings alone would pay for it even if you don't care about the video quality.

 


Agreed.  Time is a limited resource.  Please don't make the RMP team spend time on a freaking SDTV when there are real issues they could be spending time fixing.

0 Kudos