Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

@Psilobite wrote:

Are the developers keeping a running list of issues? Is this the right place to be reporting this? Is *anyone* working on Roku Media Player going to read this post?

I doubt it.  there were many comments about the Media Player screen saver overriding the native Roku screen saver in the last Media Player update that got withdrawn and this latest update did not address this at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Some other person was discussing SMART TVs, SO I put in my 2 cents AND was trying to help.  YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T READ IT.

FYI, THE EARLIER MODELS of Samsung were not good.  Their newest models ARE BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY LISTENED TO THE CUSTOMER FEEDBACK, at least for me and I deal with people who have purchased these Smart TVs, Samsung, Visio, etc.

Move on................

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@rsherry wrote:

Some other person was discussing SMART TVs, SO I put in my 2 cents AND was trying to help.  YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T READ IT.

FYI, THE EARLIER MODELS of Samsung were not good.  Their newest models ARE BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY LISTENED TO THE CUSTOMER FEEDBACK, at least for me and I deal with people who have purchased these Smart TVs, Samsung, Visio, etc.

Move on................

Don't get uppity. I have a Samsung that's less than a year old. It's DLNA player is just as bad as my older models. They haven't made any improvements to it. I have a couple of Vizio TVs, both smaller sets that I use as computer monitors. But they DLNA playback functionality is even worse than Samsung, and only support a limited number of codecs, even fewer than Roku. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Psilobite wrote:

Are the developers keeping a running list of issues? Is this the right place to be reporting this? Is *anyone* working on Roku Media Player going to read this post?

Are they paying attention? I believe they are. Will they listen? Well, they didn't do a real good job last time, but hope springs eternal... Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 9

@atc98092 wrote:

@jleslie48 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Ollio2 wrote:

I found a solution... Emby .. I tried Plex but it didn't seem as customizable ..

Download the server, then add Emby app/channel to Roku. Wala!!

Emby is similar to Plex, in that you still have to install a server on a PC or NAS device. If you're going to do that, there are other options that actually make the new RMP tolerable until the next update. I use Serviio, but there are others out there as well. Using Serviio I don't have hardly any of the issues that some are reporting. Of course, this does nothing for users who want to play directly from a USB device connected directly to the Roku. But it is something that overall does pretty well. 

thanks Dan, 

Not once on the emby website do they explain this,  how do they expect the basic person with a roku remote to know that?   They even have  a "quick start" guide that got me to quickly give up.   

So I have to download a server onto a pc (windows?  linux?)  that is up 24x7?   then I guess I type that in somewhere in the roku emby app so the **bleep** thing will start, and then it will let me access the usb drive plugged into the roku tv?    do I have that right?

From everything I can find online, yes you must install Emby Server on something connected to your network. This could be a computer (Linux, Windows, Mac) or a NAS device. Plex is the same way. Yes, if you want your media to be available at any time, the device with Emby Server (or other media server) must be powered on. If you are comfortable with only turning the computer on when you want to watch your media, you can certainly do that. I leave all my computers on 24/7, so never give it a thought. 

The USB drives would no longer be connected to the TV. They would be connected to the device running the media server. My primary media server runs Windows 10 and has 5 very large hard drives for media storage in a tall case. This computer is always on. I have a "test" server where I will experiment with beta versions or when I was writing the Roku profiles for Serviio. That way I can mess with the server without interfering with family viewing. My test machine also has an OTA TV tuner, and I use that for recording stuff over the air. 

I have Emby on my Roku, but I had removed the server from a Linux PC I was messing with. I'm installing it on my test server now, just to see if there's any way it can play directly from a USB drive in the Roku. I don't have much hope for it, though.

EDIT: just confirmed that the Emby channel for Roku does not see a connected USB drive. You can only stream from an Emby server. 

@atc98092 wrote:

@jleslie48 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Ollio2 wrote:

I found a solution... Emby .. I tried Plex but it didn't seem as customizable ..

Download the server, then add Emby app/channel to Roku. Wala!!

Emby is similar to Plex, in that you still have to install a server on a PC or NAS device. If you're going to do that, there are other options that actually make the new RMP tolerable until the next update. I use Serviio, but there are others out there as well. Using Serviio I don't have hardly any of the issues that some are reporting. Of course, this does nothing for users who want to play directly from a USB device connected directly to the Roku. But it is something that overall does pretty well. 

thanks Dan, 

Not once on the emby website do they explain this,  how do they expect the basic person with a roku remote to know that?   They even have  a "quick start" guide that got me to quickly give up.   

So I have to download a server onto a pc (windows?  linux?)  that is up 24x7?   then I guess I type that in somewhere in the roku emby app so the **bleep** thing will start, and then it will let me access the usb drive plugged into the roku tv?    do I have that right?

From everything I can find online, yes you must install Emby Server on something connected to your network. This could be a computer (Linux, Windows, Mac) or a NAS device. Plex is the same way. Yes, if you want your media to be available at any time, the device with Emby Server (or other media server) must be powered on. If you are comfortable with only turning the computer on when you want to watch your media, you can certainly do that. I leave all my computers on 24/7, so never give it a thought. 

The USB drives would no longer be connected to the TV. They would be connected to the device running the media server. My primary media server runs Windows 10 and has 5 very large hard drives for media storage in a tall case. This computer is always on. I have a "test" server where I will experiment with beta versions or when I was writing the Roku profiles for Serviio. That way I can mess with the server without interfering with family viewing. My test machine also has an OTA TV tuner, and I use that for recording stuff over the air. 

I have Emby on my Roku, but I had removed the server from a Linux PC I was messing with. I'm installing it on my test server now, just to see if there's any way it can play directly from a USB drive in the Roku. I don't have much hope for it, though.

EDIT: just confirmed that the Emby channel for Roku does not see a connected USB drive. You can only stream from an Emby server. 

Just plug the drive into the computer running the server

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

For a definitive answer I got this from Roku Customer service.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand that you want to have the old version of the Roku media player.

In this case, there is no option to rollback to its older version on devices. Because the Roku device is already updated the software to its latest version. So the app version will not match with the latest Roku software version.

If you have additional questions, please let us know. We will be glad to assist.
Thank you for choosing Roku.

Regards,
Vignesh
Roku Customer Support

So, their answer is "No".

My answer is "Bye".

Take care everyone, see you around the Internet sometime.

Mark Gosdin

Highlighted
Level 8

@mgosdin wrote:

For a definitive answer I got this from Roku Customer service.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand that you want to have the old version of the Roku media player.

In this case, there is no option to rollback to its older version on devices. Because the Roku device is already updated the software to its latest version. So the app version will not match with the latest Roku software version.

If you have additional questions, please let us know. We will be glad to assist.
Thank you for choosing Roku.

Regards,
Vignesh
Roku Customer Support

So, their answer is "No".

My answer is "Bye".

Take care everyone, see you around the Internet sometime.

Mark Gosdin

The only way they will listen is if enough people vote like this.  I hope it doesn't take too many as it could have long term impact on a brand I used to be happy with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This new version is awful for my application.  I purposely bought 3 Roku tvs for our 2 stores to play slide shows of products via PowerPoint on a USB stick.  Now, depending on the amount of pics on the stick, it times out.  Essentially every 10 minutes on average you have to grab the remote and "wake it up" again.

Highlighted

At least Vignesh from customer support was honest...Roku developers broke it but do not intend to fix it or offer an alternative version. 

Figured this was coming, so I disconnected my Roku Ultra from the internet back in May and am still using the old version of Roku Media Player to play video/audio files.  I use the Amazon Fire TV for streaming. 

Also buying another TV brand, was going to go with a 65" TCL Roku TV.  No way that is happening now...

All the best to you guys,

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Media Player update is TERRIBLE

Try it!! It doesn't work!!!!