Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 21

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

@andwell50 wrote:

It is quite possible that Roku has given in to marketing's demand for more information.  I suspect all the programming space that was used to make useful product features has now been reduced to it's most simple and unfriendly form.  The programming space is now occupied by spyware that monitors what we watch.  To marketeers and social engineers this is gold mining.

Sorry, I don't buy that theory. If they wanted to add any spyware, they wouldn't have to alter the UI. And they would insert it within the Roku OS itself, not an app that isn't used by the majority of Roku owners. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 8

They may have been influenced by the streaming services (including their own) that can both monitor AND charge for everything we watch.  Or maybe they are really just very, very stupid.

Things that play local media shouldn't be sending any tracking data back to Roku or anyone else -- at least not by default.  But the new player does just that.  It has options (that are enabled by default) to send info about any media it displays to a server somewhere in order to get things like album cover art and who knows what else.

That is NOT a local USB media player -- it is something beyond.

Too bad there isn't some open source/community project like VLC for the Roku.  And yes, I know VLC can fetch album art, too, but at least it is supported by a community rather than the armored tower of Roku.

0 Kudos
Level 21

@nurbles62 wrote:

They may have been influenced by the streaming services (including their own) that can both monitor AND charge for everything we watch.  Or maybe they are really just very, very stupid.

Things that play local media shouldn't be sending any tracking data back to Roku or anyone else -- at least not by default.  But the new player does just that.  It has options (that are enabled by default) to send info about any media it displays to a server somewhere in order to get things like album cover art and who knows what else.

That is NOT a local USB media player -- it is something beyond.

Too bad there isn't some open source/community project like VLC for the Roku.  And yes, I know VLC can fetch album art, too, but at least it is supported by a community rather than the armored tower of Roku.

As you noted, other players gather metadata as well. This happens on other devices, not just Roku. And the sites that are used to gather this information are not under the control of Roku or any other hardware manufacturer that I am aware of. The majority of metadata comes from TheTVDB.com or The MovieDB.com. Looking at TheMovieDB, they state they are "community built". As in open source. They are not data-mining your viewing. 

Anything that RMP does now it did before, to the best of my knowledge. I've used RMP for years, ever since it was first released. However, my media is stored on a DLNA server, which retrieves the metadata itself, and RMP only displays what my media server provides. 

Please stop with these conspiracy theories. Someone at Roku decided that RMP needed a refreshed appearance. Personally, I would agree, as the last version was rather dull. Is the new UI an improvement? Not as it now stands. They tried to brighten it up, but it is severely lacking in overall usability. Will it be improved? I have no doubt.

Based on the feedback they've received, I personally believe they should either roll this version back to the former version, or make the older version available as a separate channel. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 13

@Sal4566 wrote:

Thanks for the response just wanted some clarification please . I already have all my media on a NAS drive and using the RoKu Media player so I can play my media from the NAS on the TV in different rooms TV. So ideally need a new media player with a better interface that can sit on the RoKu box if such a thing exists . 
Thanks 

It may depend on your NAS capabilities.  Many can run the Plex server which would let you run the plex client on the Roku and other devices.  It is also possible to run plex on some other computer with the content on the NAS.

0 Kudos
Level 13

@rokoomyke wrote:

I'm growing tired of ROKU. I reported issues with RMP a few times now. I was asked to join the 'BETA Group'. I begrudgingly joined. When I did, I provided a step by step scenario of my situation. I also provided a 'trick' fix and possible reason for the issue. I have yet to receive a response. There are other products out there. 

I will say this to ROKU marketing. Prior to this issue, I was considering buying two new ROKU TVs.

Not only do I NO LONGER want a new ROKU TV. I no longer want the one I have. 

I recommend finding the user forum for whatever product you think you'd want instead (equivalent to this one) and browse though it a bit before buying anything.   You'll find none of them are perfect and that other people like to complain too.    For example, Kodi can't access photos over DLNA and Plex downsamples photos to low resolution for some clients.   And Android TV's couldn't pass surround sound through to receivers until a year ago (or broke it with an API change) and it took even longer for the apps to adjust.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I'll most certainly find something that will work. I understand that nothing is 'perfect'; but this is another subject entirely.

I purchased the product that I wanted in this Roku TV, after plenty of research, and had a product that worked. I paid good money for a product which no longer works in the manner in did when I exchanged my hard earned dollars for it.

That is a major failure for any organization. If my company worked in this manner, and then sent it's customers on wild goose chases after they purchased my product because of my failures I'd be out of business.

As a technologist, from an IT perspective, it is a colossal failure and speaks ever more poorly of the organization that it's customers have to engage in back and forth over lack luster updates and features that should be operational and not tampered with until a release is ready without any 'no go' bugs. 

It's an abhorrent waste of time and money for it's customers and disrespectful to those that would place it's faith in the company.

Level 13

@rokoomyke wrote:

I'll most certainly find something that will work. I understand that nothing is 'perfect'; but this is another subject entirely.

I purchased the product that I wanted in this Roku TV, after plenty of research, and had a product that worked. I paid good money for a product which no longer works in the manner in did when I exchanged my hard earned dollars for it.

No, such breakage is typical.   Sony sold the PS3, then broke the ability to boot Linux on it.   Companies sold 'Google TV' devices that were abandoned in favor of the incompatible 'android TV'.   Google/Apple/Amazon regularly get in fights with each other and refuse to run each other's apps (there is an atypical lull in that right now...). 

0 Kudos
Level 11

Just discovered another major bug with Roku Media Player 5.1:

On MKV files with multi audio tracks, it is no longer possible to play anything other than the default track. The original Roku Media Player allowed users to select the track, and even displayed the track names as entered in MKVToolNix/MKVMerge. Now, on the menu brought up by pressing "*" during playback, the "Audio track <Default>" option is greyed out, and when highlighting the option, the text above the menu says, "Only the default audio track is available".

Are the developers keeping a running list of issues? Is this the right place to be reporting this? Is *anyone* working on Roku Media Player going to read this post?

0 Kudos
Level 8

I once ran my NAS drive directly on a USB port on my ASUS router.  I now have a NetGear router I bought in 2019. (Beware of the Netgear routers.  They tend to force you to access their website when you try to directly access your Router at 192.168.1.1.  There is a workaround for that, if you search for it thru DuckDuckGo.com).  It is too lengthy to explain here, but IT IS NOT HARD TO DO, even for a newbie.

Anyway, use PLEX or your SMART TV (THERE SHOULD BE AT LEAST 1 USB PORT ON YOUR TV.)  I have a 2-year old Visio with a USB port on the side in my spare room.  It will only allow a USB 32fat stick on it if you want to watch movies, view photos, or listen to audio thru your TV.  IT WILL NOT ALLOW AN EXTERNAL DRIVE OR NAS, which is totally dumb.  I do not like this about Visio.  But, with a ROKU TV, you should have several USB ports in the back or on the side.  Read your manual for clarification.

We also have a Samsung Smart TV in our FAMILY ROOM, THE VERY BEST OUT ON THE MARKET because it has 4 unrestricted USB ports in the back and it also has a VERY SMART GUI MENU that YOU control.  It actually allows you to plug in a NAS, an external drive, a USB HUB for more ports, and other things. SAMSUNG TVs ARE TRULY SMART.  So, if you are considering a NEW TV, GO FOR THE SAMSUNG.  It beats all the others, and believe I have worked with those 'others', including the foolish ROKU TV.

IF you want total autonomy and privacy, then use your NAS thru your Router (IF IT HAS A USB PORT) and make sure your router has a VPN running or make sure your Router is 'locked down' (secure).  If it does NOT have a USB port, run it from a PC and run PLEX or some other NAS software.  Your Smart TV SHOULD see it, as long as your have not shut down specific SERVICES on your PC.  LOCK DOWN THOSE LOCAL IPs, as detailed below.

This simply means, YOU designate local IP addresses for all your devices and users and allow no more.  If anyone does infiltrate, they won't be able to get an IP, that is, if your Router is totally secure.  A lot of people designate 192.168.1.1 through 192.167.1.100 and that is way too many local IPs to designate.  If anyone does get thru, they get their own IP.  SO, LOCK DOWN THAT ROUTER AND DESIGNATE AN IP FOR YOUR NAS DRIVE AND ALL YOUR USERS AND DEVICES (shared printer, etc..).

I am a retired Network System Engineer with a a degree in Software Engineering and I can tell you that whoever created the menu for ROKU, especially the option to view local content from a drive (USB), SHOULD BE FIRED. IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!

And VISIO engineers should go back to the drawing board and FIX their USB port to recognize NTFS, as it is the best way for any USB stick or drive.  FAT32 is sllllowwww.

If anyone has any questions, contact me thru software@neo.rr.com.  I am retired, so I can help you fairly quickly.

0 Kudos
Level 21

I have no idea why you're discussing Vizio or Samsung TVs here. This is a Roku forum, and neither manufacturer makes TVs with the Roku OS. 

But since you brought it up, Samsung TVs are far worse for streaming media from a DLNA server than using Roku Media Player. RMP might have some significant UI problems at the moment, but the Samsung UI is far, far worse. It provides no metadata at all, only shows a tiny artwork image of the title, and depending on the TV model has a less than satisfactory remote for accessing controls during playback. I will give that Samsung supports a few more codecs than Roku devices. But that's all I can say good about them. While I have and continue to use Samsung TVs, I don't use the internal player apps for anything. I instead use either Roku players or the Nvidia Shield as my player of choice, as both are light years ahead of what Samsung offers with their TVs. 

Dan
0 Kudos