Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

The interface for this update is poorly thought out.

Its difficult to make out file names AND see the preview image of the file because they overlay. 

Every row in a folder says 1 to 5 there is no rolling count ex "6 to 10, 11 to 15".

The fifth file in a row is partially "chopped off" from display.

Its difficult to find the number of files in a folder AND that frequently doesn't display due to character limitations.

There may be worthwhile upgrades behind the interface but, I think ROKU does us no good service with this front end!

ROKU - GO BACK TO THE PRIOR DISPLAY!!!!

Level 11

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

the main issue I have with the update is the loss of the native Roku screen saver when playing music.

the Roku fish tank is much more aesthetic than what is there now.

I emailed Roku Support about it an it took two emails to convince them that I wasn't having a problem on how to use the screen saver.  another email to answer a round of 20 questions on versions, builds and update dates.  the latest email asked me to send them videos of the problem.

it really shows a lack of training on Roku's part and a lack of understanding of the product functions by the support reps.

so I sent them three videos.  one showing the native Roku fish tank screen saver activating.  one showing the Media Player bouncing box screen saver activating.  and one showing the Media Player screen saver being triggered out when a music track changes.

part of me is wondering if she is trying to be helpful or just wasting my time.

Level 11

You're probably talking to a bot.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Perhaps--ive played around with it..but honestly, im tired of putting more work into stuff and then having companies pull the rug out from under me.

Im not putting more equity into a product and service who doesn't value my time.

Level 13

@wingmanzz wrote:

Perhaps--ive played around with it..but honestly, im tired of putting more work into stuff and then having companies pull the rug out from under me.

Im not putting more equity into a product and service who doesn't value my time.

Plex clients run on a lot of different devices so the server is likely to remain useful even if you kick the roku to the curb. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

It is quite possible that Roku has given in to marketing's demand for more information.  I suspect all the programming space that was used to make useful product features has now been reduced to it's most simple and unfriendly form.  The programming space is now occupied by spyware that monitors what we watch.  To marketeers and social engineers this is gold mining.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I'm growing tired of ROKU. I reported issues with RMP a few times now. I was asked to join the 'BETA Group'. I begrudgingly joined. When I did, I provided a step by step scenario of my situation. I also provided a 'trick' fix and possible reason for the issue. I have yet to receive a response. There are other products out there. 

I will say this to ROKU marketing. Prior to this issue, I was considering buying two new ROKU TVs.

Not only do I NO LONGER want a new ROKU TV. I no longer want the one I have. 

They've rendered the RMP useless and have ben unable to resolve a rather basic programmatic issue. The level of ineptitude is too much for me. I have yet to even receive a response, or at the very least a Thank You for not only dealing with the issue, but providing steps on how to resolve it. 

This is a complete lack of customer care and textbook scenario of what NOT to do.

I'm out.

Level 8

Alternatives to Roku TV

• Synology Diskstation. All. Top Pro. Complete multimedia platform. ...
  • Google TV. All. Top Pro. Flexible Media Storage. ...
  • Amazon Fire TV. All. Top Pro. Voice search. ...
  • Raspberry Pi. All. Top Pro. ...
  • Android TV. All. Top Pro. ...
  • Apple TV. All. Top Con. ...
  • Chromecast (2015) All. Top Pro. ...
  • Plex. All. Top Pro.
Level 7

Thanks for the response just wanted some clarification please . I already have all my media on a NAS drive and using the RoKu Media player so I can play my media from the NAS on the TV in different rooms TV. So ideally need a new media player with a better interface that can sit on the RoKu box if such a thing exists . 
Thanks 

0 Kudos
Level 21

@rokoomyke wrote:

Alternatives to Roku TV

• Synology Diskstation. All. Top Pro. Complete multimedia platform. ...
  • Google TV. All. Top Pro. Flexible Media Storage. ...
  • Amazon Fire TV. All. Top Pro. Voice search. ...
  • Raspberry Pi. All. Top Pro. ...
  • Android TV. All. Top Pro. ...
  • Apple TV. All. Top Con. ...
  • Chromecast (2015) All. Top Pro. ...
  • Plex. All. Top Pro.

Plex itself is not an alternate to a Roku device. It's just a media server/player application. But it does eliminate the need to use RMP as your media player. In addition to Plex, there's Emby, which also has a respectable Roku app, and is supported by other platforms. Specifically for Roku, there's also Chaneru, although I don't know what the update status of that one is. It kind of fell to the side when Roku released RMP. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos