Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

Unable to play some videos properly after latest update from USB device. There is sound but no image, blank white screen. It was working prior to the update. Very disappointed!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Lipitor wrote:

Unable to play some videos properly after latest update from USB device. There is sound but no image, blank white screen. It was working prior to the update. Very disappointed!!!

It would be extremely helpful to know the contents of your media file. The container (MP4, MKV, MOV, TS are the four supported containers) and and the audio and video codecs in the container. It doesn't help to just say it's a MKV or MP4 file. All of these (container, audio and video codec) are supported the same as the previous version of RMP. But without knowing where the problem is, it's extremely difficult to troubleshoot. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Does not work with my synology dlna nas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi 

Your recently updated the Roku Media Player can only be described as a disaster !! First of all the layout is so bad that the titles overlay the icon and it's not easily readable . Also why is it that I cannot see Thumbnail is there a way for the movies to display the DVD Cover and the title below the icon unlike Roku Player where it's overlaid the icon .

Thanks

Sal 

Highlighted
Level 8

They won't delete your post.  THEY WILL JUST IGNORE IT.  Maybe ROKU does not care that they are going to lose customers?  For those who do not have a SMART TV, TIME TO GET ONE or choose an ALTERNATIVE for the ROKU box/Stick.  

If you do have a Smart TV, plug in your USB device to the USB TV ports, at the side of the TV (I have a Smart Visio TV with only 2 ports) or in the back (I use a 2 GB WD external drive for storage) and if you need to, get yourself a 4-port 3.1 USB hub if you want more than one drive.)  I have 4 storage devices in my hub and I can connect them to my PC to transfer files using a USB extension.

ALTERNATIVES TO ROKU?

Apple TV

Google TV (do not like them either - too intrusive)

Amazon Fire TV

I really wish that ROKU listens to its customers. As much as everything else they offer, is great, their USB MEDIA ACCESS MENU sucks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

RATINGS?  Where did ROKU allow its customers to RATE THAT USB MEDIA MENU?  No one asked me.

BOGUS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

ROKU never reads their customer feedback.  If they did, they would know how disappointed we all are and would respond, but ROKU NEVER RESPONDS, do they?

FIND ALTERNATIVES TO ROKU:  search on DuckDuckGo, keywords, 'ROKU alternatives'

Don't use GOOGLE unless you LOVE THEM TRACKING YOUR EVERY MOVE.

Highlighted
Level 8

"I think we're just going to have to live with this update."

UH, THIS IS AMERICA.  We don't have to live with ANYTHING.  Americans are entrepreneurs and we ALWAYS come up with alternatives and much better ones, too!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@wingmanzz wrote:

Does not work with my synology dlna nas.

Won't synology run the Plex server?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@rsherry wrote:

They won't delete your post.  THEY WILL JUST IGNORE IT.  Maybe ROKU does not care that they are going to lose customers?  For those who do not have a SMART TV, TIME TO GET ONE or choose an ALTERNATIVE for the ROKU box/Stick.  

If you do have a Smart TV, plug in your USB device to the USB TV ports, at the side of the TV (I have a Smart Visio TV with only 2 ports) or in the back (I use a 2 GB WD external drive for storage) and if you need to, get yourself a 4-port 3.1 USB hub if you want more than one drive.)  I have 4 storage devices in my hub and I can connect them to my PC to transfer files using a USB extension.

ALTERNATIVES TO ROKU?

Apple TV

Google TV (do not like them either - too intrusive)

Amazon Fire TV

I really wish that ROKU listens to its customers. As much as everything else they offer, is great, their USB MEDIA ACCESS MENU sucks.

If you have the content on a PC, you have the option of running Plex or Emby servers and the corresponding client on the Roku to stream over the network.   Or an HDMI cable to the TV.  Or screen sharing from the PC to the roku (some work, some don't).

And for alternative/companion devices, I'd add putting together your own raspberry pi computer to run Kodi as a client or act as a plex server (you probably need a fanless case to avoid noise).

0 Kudos