Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 13

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

@jleslie48 wrote:

So I guess I have to install ~some software~ on my window pc that is running 24x7, and then using its ip address, type that somewhere in the emby roku app, and then I have to hope that it has a setting that will play all the video's in the folder in loop mode. Something VLC could do about 10 years ago. SMH.    I'll try some more in the morning.    Thanks again. - jleslie48

If you have trouble Plex does approximately the same things and might be easier to set up.   I haven't looked at emby for some time but when I did I thought Plex was 'slicker' - at the expense of having to pay for some of the extra functionality on other devices (but not the server or the TV and web clients).

Level 7

Yeah text based captions is what I mean. It used to work for me but gone after the update.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Re: Roku Media Player update is TERRIBLE

Incorrect. I have issues, and so do others. Your statement about others being irrational is illogical.

Level 9

@jleslie48 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Ollio2 wrote:

I found a solution... Emby .. I tried Plex but it didn't seem as customizable ..

Download the server, then add Emby app/channel to Roku. Wala!!

Emby is similar to Plex, in that you still have to install a server on a PC or NAS device. If you're going to do that, there are other options that actually make the new RMP tolerable until the next update. I use Serviio, but there are others out there as well. Using Serviio I don't have hardly any of the issues that some are reporting. Of course, this does nothing for users who want to play directly from a USB device connected directly to the Roku. But it is something that overall does pretty well. 

thanks dan, 

Not once on the emby website do they explain this,  how do they expect the basic person with a roku remote to know that?   They even have  a "quick start" guide that got me to quickly give up.   

So I have to download a server onto a pc (windows?  linux?)  that is up 24x7?   then I guess I type that in somewhere in the roku emby app so the **bleep** thing will start, and then it will let me access the usb drive plugged into the roku tv?    do I have that right?

You can download the server here:

https://emby.media/windows-server.html

(I downloaded the 64 bit zip file .... Windows x64)

Linux Version here:

https://emby.media/linux-server.html

On your Roku, ad The Emby app/channel..

The Flash Drive/s will plug into your computer, not the Roku.

0 Kudos
Level 9

@jleslie48 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

From everything I can find online, yes you must install Emby Server on something connected to your network. This could be a computer (Linux, Windows, Mac) or a NAS device. Plex is the same way. Yes, if you want your media to be available at any time, the device with Emby Server (or other media server) must be powered on. If you are comfortable with only turning the computer on when you want to watch your media, you can certainly do that. I leave all my computers on 24/7, so never give it a thought. 

The USB drives would no longer be connected to the TV. They would be connected to the device running the media server. My primary media server runs Windows 10 and has 5 very large hard drives for media storage in a tall case. This computer is always on. I have a "test" server where I will experiment with beta versions or when I was writing the Roku profiles for Serviio. That way I can mess with the server without interfering with family viewing. My test machine also has an OTA TV tuner, and I use that for recording stuff over the air. 

I have Emby on my Roku, but I had removed the server from a Linux PC I was messing with. I'm installing it on my test server now, just to see if there's any way it can play directly from a USB drive in the Roku. I don't have much hope for it, though.

EDIT: just confirmed that the Emby channel for Roku does not see a connected USB drive. You can only stream from an Emby server. 

Dan,  

thank you taking the time to explain things.  You clearly have more than a laymen's understanding of the LAN issues involved here.  I can live happily with accessing a windows 10 PC on my network to host the directories of the video's I want playing 24x7,   But setting up the Emby is so poorly documented I didn't even realize I couldn't use the roku tv as a server. There entire website is written as if you understand all of emby already.  

So I guess I have to install ~some software~ on my window pc that is running 24x7, and then using its ip address, type that somewhere in the emby roku app, and then I have to hope that it has a setting that will play all the video's in the folder in loop mode. Something VLC could do about 10 years ago. SMH.    I'll try some more in the morning.    Thanks again. - jleslie48

Relax... add the server to your computer.

Add Emby Channel to Roku.

Enter http://localhost:8096 in your browser   -- this will show the server running on a web page.. You can add users or content, but stay relaxed... Just look at the far right side of the server page and you'll see a *    -- click the to manage the server. There you'll see your lan IP address something like 192.168.3.2 -- that's the address you enter in Emby on the Roku.. If you don't set up name, you enter your name and IP manually. If you're sure you enter name and IP correct, check if you have a firewall blocking port 8096... If it's DEFENDER for windows, you'll most likely see a listing for Emby already blocked (little red circle before the name Emby...

Stay with this before you start playing with choice like Movies or TV etc...

Stay Relaxed......

0 Kudos
Level 21

For just playing from a USB drive, there were other options.  I don't know anything about any of them, but I know there was a channel called Play USB and Nowhere USB.  They all fell out of favor when RMP came into existence.  There's also options for just music via DLNA.  My Music is one that I've actually used and like.

Level 11

@renojim wrote:

My Music is one that I've actually used and like.

Thank you so much for this. I've searched and searched but couldn't find any DLNA alternative on Roku. I just tried it out and it works. My main issue... the screensaver... is better as My Music doesn't have any static elements that could Вurn in on the screen; it uses horizontal scrolling text with changing colors on a blue background. I would much prefer that it use the system screensaver, but for now it's at least a working alternative to the broken Roku Media Player update.

0 Kudos
Level 7

What a step backwards. The new player is really bad. Besides what other people have stated, the search function doesn't work any more. The pause function is not shown, so I had to figure out how to make that work. The previous media player worked very well, and this is a big step BACKWARDS. Bring back the old player, or at least allow user to make a choice.

Level 9

Nowhere USB is still avail through a private channel.. go to your home channel and add the channel with the code:

KGULU

Level 8

In case Roku uses these complaints to help them fix their products, here is another illogical programming change in RMP - LIST SCROLLING.  when scrolling through a list of titles, each time you advance, it throws the whole list up one line, so that the cursor focus is always at the top line.  It is much more common to have the cursor focus move down one line, and not have the list jumping around, at least until you get to the bottom of a long list and then the list needs to start scrolling.  This "jumping list" method is disconcerting and makes you visually scan the whole list over and over to see where you want to go.  Certainly not an improvement in any sense.