Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Media Player update is TERRIBLE

@boogernose 

thanks for the reply, but you missed the point.

when playing music the updated Media Player does not allow the native Roku screen saver to function.

instead we get a blue/purple box with a music symbol bouncing around the screen like the old Pong video game.

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

@Ollio2 wrote:

I found a solution... Emby .. I tried Plex but it didn't seem as customizable ..

Download the server, then add Emby app/channel to Roku. Wala!!

@Ollio2    I just added the channel emby I can't figure it out,  how do I get it to play my usb video folder forever?     what do you mean download the server???   Do I need a pc or something?    Why aren't the directions on the emby website of how to get it to work?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Ollio2 wrote:

I found a solution... Emby .. I tried Plex but it didn't seem as customizable ..

Emby is similar to Plex, in that you still have to install a server on a PC or NAS device. If you're going to do that, there are other options that actually make the new RMP tolerable until the next update. I use Serviio, but there are others out there as well. Using Serviio I don't have hardly any of the issues that some are reporting. Of course, this does nothing for users who want to play directly from a USB device connected directly to the Roku. But it is something that overall does pretty well. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@atc98092 wrote:

@Ollio2 wrote:

Emby is similar to Plex, in that you still have to install a server on a PC or NAS device. If you're going to do that, there are other options that actually make the new RMP tolerable until the next update. I use Serviio, but there are others out there as well. Using Serviio I don't have hardly any of the issues that some are reporting. Of course, this does nothing for users who want to play directly from a USB device connected directly to the Roku. But it is something that overall does pretty well. 

thanks dan, 

Not once on the emby website do they explain this,  how do they expect the basic person with a roku remote to know that?   They even have  a "quick start" guide that got me to quickly give up.   

So I have to download a server onto a pc (windows?  linux?)  that is up 24x7?   then I guess I type that in somewhere in the roku emby app so the **bleep** thing will start, and then it will let me access the usb drive plugged into the roku tv?    do I have that right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@jleslie48 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Ollio2 wrote:

thanks Dan, 

Not once on the emby website do they explain this,  how do they expect the basic person with a roku remote to know that?   They even have  a "quick start" guide that got me to quickly give up.   

So I have to download a server onto a pc (windows?  linux?)  that is up 24x7?   then I guess I type that in somewhere in the roku emby app so the **bleep** thing will start, and then it will let me access the usb drive plugged into the roku tv?    do I have that right?

From everything I can find online, yes you must install Emby Server on something connected to your network. This could be a computer (Linux, Windows, Mac) or a NAS device. Plex is the same way. Yes, if you want your media to be available at any time, the device with Emby Server (or other media server) must be powered on. If you are comfortable with only turning the computer on when you want to watch your media, you can certainly do that. I leave all my computers on 24/7, so never give it a thought. 

The USB drives would no longer be connected to the TV. They would be connected to the device running the media server. My primary media server runs Windows 10 and has 5 very large hard drives for media storage in a tall case. This computer is always on. I have a "test" server where I will experiment with beta versions or when I was writing the Roku profiles for Serviio. That way I can mess with the server without interfering with family viewing. My test machine also has an OTA TV tuner, and I use that for recording stuff over the air. 

I have Emby on my Roku, but I had removed the server from a Linux PC I was messing with. I'm installing it on my test server now, just to see if there's any way it can play directly from a USB drive in the Roku. I don't have much hope for it, though.

EDIT: just confirmed that the Emby channel for Roku does not see a connected USB drive. You can only stream from an Emby server. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@atc98092 wrote:

From everything I can find online, yes you must install Emby Server on something connected to your network. This could be a computer (Linux, Windows, Mac) or a NAS device. Plex is the same way. Yes, if you want your media to be available at any time, the device with Emby Server (or other media server) must be powered on. If you are comfortable with only turning the computer on when you want to watch your media, you can certainly do that. I leave all my computers on 24/7, so never give it a thought. 

The USB drives would no longer be connected to the TV. They would be connected to the device running the media server. My primary media server runs Windows 10 and has 5 very large hard drives for media storage in a tall case. This computer is always on. I have a "test" server where I will experiment with beta versions or when I was writing the Roku profiles for Serviio. That way I can mess with the server without interfering with family viewing. My test machine also has an OTA TV tuner, and I use that for recording stuff over the air. 

I have Emby on my Roku, but I had removed the server from a Linux PC I was messing with. I'm installing it on my test server now, just to see if there's any way it can play directly from a USB drive in the Roku. I don't have much hope for it, though.

EDIT: just confirmed that the Emby channel for Roku does not see a connected USB drive. You can only stream from an Emby server. 

Dan,  

thank you taking the time to explain things.  You clearly have more than a laymen's understanding of the LAN issues involved here.  I can live happily with accessing a windows 10 PC on my network to host the directories of the video's I want playing 24x7,   But setting up the Emby is so poorly documented I didn't even realize I couldn't use the roku tv as a server. There entire website is written as if you understand all of emby already.  

So I guess I have to install ~some software~ on my window pc that is running 24x7, and then using its ip address, type that somewhere in the emby roku app, and then I have to hope that it has a setting that will play all the video's in the folder in loop mode. Something VLC could do about 10 years ago. SMH.    I'll try some more in the morning.    Thanks again. - jleslie48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

What a backwards "update"! Now it can't display embedded subtitles on my mkv files. So frustrating!

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

Thanks for this! It worked for me!

OMG that is a ridiculous mistake on their part.

Allen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@02znamm wrote:

What a backwards "update"! Now it can't display embedded subtitles on my mkv files. So frustrating!

RMP has never supported captions from ripped DVD or Blu Ray discs. Those are imaged based, not text. Roku supports embedded text captions, such as the captions from recorded OTA TV. And those do still work.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

As much as I hate conspiracy theories, I firmly believe that Roku did the deliberately to make more room for data mining (spy) software.

0 Kudos