Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Media Player update is TERRIBLE

I just noticed the change so I can't say anything about problems with the actual function of the new version.

I do have one complaint.  this update does not allow the Roku to use the native screen saver and gives us the square music pong.

many people had asked that the native screen saver be reinstated with the previous update that was withdrawn.  it is obvious that this request was ignored with this re-release.

I want the native screen saver back.  the Roku fish tank is much better to see than what is there now.

also, when you do fix this make sure that a change from one music track to the next does not trigger out of screen saver mode.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

I just noticed the change so I can't say anything about problems with the actual function of the new version.

I do have one complaint.  this update does not allow the Roku to use the native screen saver when listening to music from the NAS and gives us the square music pong.

many people had asked that the native screen saver be reinstated with the previous update that was withdrawn.  it is obvious that this request was ignored with this re-release.

I want the native screen saver back.  the Roku fish tank is much better to see than what is there now.

also, when you do fix this make sure that a change from one music track to the next does not trigger out of screen saver mode.

Highlighted
Level 16

@Gary-94080 

Settings/Themes>>Screensavers

@proofer 

you need to be much more specific or no one will hear you.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

What an absolutely wretched update. My wife says the new look is "lipstick on a pig".

As others have mentioned, file names have to be extremely short or they are truncated and often useless, even in list view. And list view might show as enabled even when it is not (e.g. right after the update, when list view had been enabled in the old version).

Also I have found:

When you play a transcoded file (i.e. an MPEG-TS stream), there are two new problems: 1. When you pause, the current play position and total duration of the video is completely wrong, e.g. 30 seconds into a 5-minute file it shows as something like 15 minutes into a 5-hour file. It needs to show the correct position and duration, like it did in the old version. 2. Seeking forward or backward ("trick play"), instead of being entirely disabled for this type of video, now acts like it is working, but it still does not actually seek. It needs to be disabled entirely like it was in the old version.

Plus, I cannot test with the old version now, but my recollection (possibly incorrect) is that the aspect ratio defined in an MKV container used to be respected and would override whatever was in the enclosed stream. Now the container is ignored. For example, a video stored in the standard DVD storage size of 720x480 (3:2), with no aspect ratio info coded into the video stream itself, is now rendered by RMP as 3:2, even when it has a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio coded into the container. This is wreaking havoc on my archived DVD content because I did not always resize to square pixels when transcoding this content to H.264 MKV. (I can use FFmpeg or MP4Box to add the appropriate metadata to the video streams, but it would be nice if the container's aspect ratio would just be utilized.)

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

Purely by chance I discovered how to force "Resume" to appear.

If you just start and stop a video, all you are offered next time is "Play"

However if you start a video and press "Fast Forward" just for a second, when you stop you

will be offered "Play" AND "Resume" next time.

I have now gotten into the habit of doing "Play", "FF" "Stop" and "Play" in quick succession

every time I start to watch a long programme or film that I may wish to interrupt.

So "Resume" has apparently not been removed, it's just that the app has a bug.

The developers clearly need a lesson in regression testing to make sure everything that used to be there still is there, rather than just testing that the "new" bits work.

My 40 years experience as a Software Development Manager could be at their disposel for a suitable fee.

Highlighted
Level 8

Why was the GRID VIEW REMOVED?

There is still something CALLED 'grid" (vs "list") as a display mode, but sane people generally think of a grid has having TWO dimensions!

The "new" player has a horizontal list and a vertical list, but NO GRID. Since the Roku has no page up/down functionality, that can literally mean HUNDREDS of extra button presses (and consequent loss of battery life) to find what one wants in the single dimensional list.

I hope Roku allows us to switch back to the "classic" (i.e. functional, useful and all around BETTER) media player.  If not, my prayers go out to the developers out there who might be able to create one.

Highlighted
Level 8

They completely changed the GUI for no apparent reason.  The old one worked fine and didn't look bad.  You could set things to show in a list, which is better for large media libraries.  Try having 500 titles that only show up as 5 icons (the 5th one cut off by the edge of the screen) and scroll horizontally.  It went from user-friendly to user-annoying.  Last night I found at least a dozen other threads with people complaining about the new update.  It is not equipped for large libraries the way the previous version was.  They force these major changes unannounced with no way to go back.  Imagine if your car did that, randomly one day the instrument cluster was completely rearranged, with no improvement at all, no logical reason for the change.  Do these software developers really not have anything better to do?  Fix security issues on the backend without drastic changes to the interface.  If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Highlighted
Level 7

Another problem with the new update: 

We use Roku TV's for menu boards with the Roku Media Player and we change our menu daily. (COVID related and supply issues). The new media player update appears to cache old images and I have to manually go in, delete, and rename image files each time I want to update. Its a pain in the ass. I can no longer just save over images and have them quickly refresh on the TV Screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

The UI needed an refresh. But this isn't a particularly good result, and Roku is aware of it. Roku has said they will work on the UI with the next update, but I don't know how long that will take. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I found a solution... Emby .. I tried Plex but it didn't seem as customizable ..

Download the server, then add Emby app/channel to Roku. Wala!!

0 Kudos