Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

I think we're just going to have to live with this update. From my limited testing it works for playing USB videos, but has some unfortunate bugs (or are they new 'features'?) that are annoying, but not show-stopping.

For what it's worth, here's my list of suggestions, from most important to least:

1. (This one is really important) on USB, disable the autoplaying of the next video in a folder, or provide an option to disable it. In the old version, if I hit play on a folder then the player would automatically progress through each video in said folder -- fair enough. But if I played a specific video, the player would exit back to the springboard screen when it reached the end. In the new version, however, the player is permanent in playlist mode -- the end of one video automatically starts the next, meaning when you get to the end of what you wanted to watch you have to pick up the remote and force the player to quit. (Otherwise, presumably, it just carries on playing every video in an endless loop(?)) There doesn't seem to be any way of stopping this -- I even tried enabling then disabling the autoplay option on the device screen, but (as expected) it made no difference.
  2. On list mode, extend the video title so it fills up the available space, meaning that longer filenames are better catered for. Looking at the raggedy right edge, I'm guessing that the code that truncates the title is using a 'lazy' algorithm based on the character count multiplied by the 'em' width of the font(?) It needs to do a proper string width calculation based on the font metrics of every title being rendered, that way each title can properly fill up the available space.
  3. In grid mode, it is nice that we actually get to see to full filename of the file, but putting it up near the top of the display, some distance away from the grid icons, is a bit disconcerting. Ideally it should be underneath or very close to the grid items, so the user's eyes can jump between the two without any conscious effort.

Hopefully these suggestions will prove useful.

Highlighted
Level 8

I've used the Roku Media Player app almost exclusively since I bought my first Roku express in 2018.  This interface change has rendered it useless, which has rendered our two Roku express boxes useless as well.  I'm not as violent as some, the Roku boxes won't be smashed by me, but I will be looking for something better.  You had a good product and company, sad to see you trashing it.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

I agree. The interface is terrible. Why can’t I have an option to keep the previous version?

Highlighted
Level 9

I also have another TV with Roku built in so I browsed some more.. The software in inconsistent. One menu calls a setting a grid/list while the *menu calls it short/long. Scanning a drive takes much longer than usual.

Drive icons on the bottom of the screen is insane. The drive name is written on top of the pictures I use for the icons! The old way was perfect - in the middle of the screen and the highlighted one became larger.

But I got the old player back by factory resetting the Roku TV. A regular Roku will still add the new junk. I was forced to rate the new version a 1 since there was nothing lower. Very offensive content lol. The wise guy (who's ENTITLED to be a wiseguy), must be the know-it-all that advised all these improvements.

Highlighted
Level 7

Unbelievable. This is a trend in updates today. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old Roku media player and now we get this revamped, less featured version.

Where are the audio track details?

Am I listening to a .mp3? or maybe a .flac, or maybe it's a .wav file?

Who knows now. Roku decided to REMOVE information from the player, instead of adding more info and features for folks like us who run our own servers. 

Do you actually think people who run their own media server want to see LESS info about their media??

Seriously, this is why every time I see an update these days, whether it's for a phone, TV, channel, etc., I always wonder what is going to be broken now.

Please at least put the old media server back in the channel store so we can have a choice? Please?

These things keep adding up and over time you just get frustrated and wonder things like "hmm, I wonder how that Nvidia Shield is" 

Sigh.. unbelievable. 

Level 9

They probably needed more code room for gathering lots of secret info from users...

The music player page looked good, but not polished.. I didn't play it for a test.

Highlighted
Level 8

The new feature to autoplay the next file may be liked by some, but not all.  There is no way to prevent it from starting up the next file.  The old player waited for user input.  Couldnt this still be an option?

Highlighted
Level 8

Roku:  I have bought at least 12 Rokus for me and friends and relatives over the years, starting when you offered the first USB unit.  As I have told many friends who I convinced to buy your high-end models, the only advantage Rokus have over other streamers is the USB port for those of us with digitized collections.  With your recent revisions to dumb down the Media Player, you have nearly ruined the experience.  All the problems others are mentioning are correct - needlessly shortened file names, autoplay cant be turned off, ugly menus and icons, etc.  You are ruining a good thing.  I know that consumer product companies expect some user grumbling with any change in hardware and software, but PLEASE dont think this is merely a few stodgy folks resistant to any changes.  Useful change is fine, it is welcome, but you are screwing up your product and our use of it.   Cleaner interfaces with less info are not always better if usability is lost. You are making a huge mistake here.  I am looking tonight for alternative streamers and will move my family and friends to anything I can find.

Highlighted
Level 8

@jvo1944 wrote:

I know that consumer product companies expect some user grumbling with any change in hardware and software, but PLEASE dont think this is merely a few stodgy folks resistant to any changes.  Useful change is fine, it is welcome, but you are screwing up your product and our use of it.   Cleaner interfaces with less info are not always better if usability is lost. You are making a huge mistake here.  I am looking tonight for alternative streamers and will move my family and friends to anything I can find.

This is the thing, I'm not wanting to blow the change out of proportion.  However, my use of Roku is 90% + the Media Player.  So, for me it is a big deal that this failure has replaced the working copy that I was comfortable using.

I too am looking now for a full blown Roku alternative since I really can't use this "too small on my screen" poorly designed UI.

Highlighted
Level 9

FYI it is an option!  It's in the options when you first open RMP.  UNFORTUNATELY that option works in the old version and does NOT work in the new version so you can set it not to autoplay and it does anyway Smiley Mad