Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

Does anybody agree with me that yesterday's update to Roku Media Player is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE?

The new structure and graphics for displaying file and folder names  are ill-considered and very non-user friendly almost, but not quite, to the point of unusablilty.

The only saving grace of this updats is that it still plays  files from m,y home server correctly.

How do we get Roku to reverse this "downgrade"

217 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

The horrible new Roku Media Player update is back

And once again, the "Options*" button does NOTHING when audio / music is playing, and I am unable to get it to use the system screensaver when audio / music tracks are playing. The Roku Media player "screensaver" for audio / music playback has static elements that will вurn in on my television ("Repeat All" and "Shuffle" buttons). On the original Roku Media Player, pressing the "Options*" button when music is playing is where screensaver options are set, which does nothing on the new player.

So that means I can't use it... I am not going to let the stupid thing вurn in buttons on my screen.

And I am pretty sure Roku will NOT be adding ANY options to use the system screensaver, and will NOT be adding the ability to use the original Roku Media Player.

Combined with the HBO Max debacle, I think I am going to have to ditch Roku.

Edit - LMAO, "The message body contains вurn, which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post." Yeah, I think I'm done with Roku.

Highlighted
Level 11

Re: The horrible new Roku Media Player update is back

When audio / music is playing, it's no longer possible to seek. You can only press the << or >> buttons to jump ahead or back 30 seconds. (!!!!?????)

When you stop playback of an audio track and start playback again, the media player no longer remembers where you left off and starts back at the beginning. (!!!!!??????) Guess people who listen to audio books and pod casts are going to need a pen and paper.

In List view, track titles are much shorter than they were with the original media player; they only display about 20 to 30 characters. Long titles can no longer be read.

WHY did you not learn from the first time you dumped this on us? WHY would you ruin your devices like this, ESPECIALLY in the middle of this whole HBO Max thing.

Did your beta testers SERIOUSLY not have any problems or raise any issues about this?

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: The horrible new Roku Media Player update is back

Yes...mine just updated.  Cannot read file names....does anyone test this software before sending it out

Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Latest Roku Media Player update @ 30/6/2020

The Media Player update adds nothing, changes the graphics, and removes the following features:

- No longer possible to use the system screensaver when audio / music tracks are playing. The Roku Media player "screensaver" for audio / music playback has static elements that will вurn in on OLED and plasma television screens ("Repeat All" and "Shuffle" buttons).

Update - It's even worse... the Roku Media Player "screensaver" turns off and resets at the start of every new track. Since it only turns on after about 5 minutes, this means that it will hardly run at all... if all tracks are less than 5 minutes in length it will never turn on. It would be highly inadvisable to use the player to play back big music track playlists for long periods of time with a plasma or OLED television. Not a problem at all with the original Roku Media Player. What a sad and unnecessary loss.

- When audio / music is playing, it's no longer possible to seek. You can only press the << or >> buttons to jump ahead or back 30 seconds.

- When you stop playback of an audio track and start playback again, the media player no longer remembers where you left off and starts back at the beginning. I guess people who listen to audio books and pod casts are going to need a pen and paper.

- In List view, track titles are much shorter than they were with the original media player; they only display about 20 to 30 characters. Long titles can no longer be read.

In all, this is a downgrade disguised as an upgrade.

Roku Media Player is the only option for a DLNA client on Roku. Amazon Fire is Android and can sideload apps, so users have choices there. I will be looking into switching.

Highlighted
Level 7

I didn't use the old one that often because of its lack of features, most notably being able to move to the next video and continue playing. With the update I can now do that so that's a plus. The view is still terrible, but at least it can be changed to shorter rows that fit the screen. The controls and menus are still super clunky but overall it functions better for me. Now if we could get automatic population of metadata including thumbnail/cover art images based on the filename then we'd have something.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

Once again Roku has capriciously chosen to screw up the media player photo application.  The application runs for about 10 minutes and then shuts down.  My kids love to look at old pictures of vacations, holidays and special events.  If you want to improve the media player, here are two features that would make a big difference:  (1) Make the viewing time variable from 3 to 30 seconds  (2) Make an option for the slide show to loop back on itself once it gets to the end of the photo group. 

If you are going to offer a service, make it user friendly.

Highlighted
Level 11

I had no problems switching to another video with the old player, not sure what you're talking about, and the "shorter rows that fit the screen" show less of the file name so if you have longer titles or file names you can't even read them. Not sure why anyone would like or want that.

Highlighted
Level 11

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

The Media Player update adds nothing, changes the graphics, and removes the following features:

- No longer possible to use the system screensaver when audio / music tracks are playing. The Roku Media player "screensaver" for audio / music playback has static elements that will вurn in (permanently damage) on OLED and plasma television screens, and cause image retention on LED screens ("Repeat All" and "Shuffle" buttons).

Update - It's even worse... the Roku Media Player "screensaver" turns off and resets at the start of every new track. Since it only turns on after about 5 minutes, this means that it will hardly run at all... if all tracks are less than 5 minutes in length it will never turn on. It would be highly inadvisable to use the player to play back big music track playlists for long periods of time with a plasma or OLED television. Not a problem at all with the original Roku Media Player. What a sad and unnecessary loss.

- When audio / music is playing, it's no longer possible to seek. You can only press the << or >> buttons to jump ahead or back 30 seconds.

- When you stop playback of an audio track and start playback again, the media player no longer remembers where you left off and starts back at the beginning. I guess people who listen to audio books and pod casts are going to need a pen and paper.

- In List view, track titles are much shorter than they were with the original media player; they only display about 20 to 30 characters. Long titles can no longer be read.

In all, this is a downgrade disguised as an upgrade.

Roku Media Player is the only option for a DLNA client on Roku. Amazon Fire is Android and can sideload apps, so users have choices there. I will be looking into switching.

Highlighted
Level 7

As in the player would not auto advance, I had to manually start the next video. It was a continual cycle of "Loading" or just going back to the selection screen. I can see nearly the full file name above the grid so as to why your file names are extremely long.. who knows, maybe you should invest some time in a shorter and more descriptive naming convention. My screen shows 50 characters at a time, this is a file name, not a Tweet.

0 Kudos