Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RkkMe
Level 9

Re: Large 14TB USB hard drive not recognized

Jump to solution

Unsure how your response (boogernose) is in any way relevant to my issue. Thanks for your opinion?

RkkMe
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thank you, atc98092 for giving your opinion on a matter that was different than my issue of getting my hard drive to work. My hard drive is working now, thanks to all.

atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@RkkMe wrote:

Thank you, atc98092 for giving your opinion on a matter that was different than my issue of getting my hard drive to work. My hard drive is working now, thanks to all.

I'm happy you found a solution. I didn't consider the USB cable. But the suggestion that I and others offered was for an alternative if you ended up with no functional connection with your sized hard drive. Some users appreciate alternatives, even if you don't. It may have been different, but it was related. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
StoneCoda
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem with my new Ultra, but with smaller drives...1 to 3TB. Thumb drives work just fine. At first I thought it was a drive size problem, but, based on what I see here, I'm going to try a new USB 3.0 cable.

0 Kudos
StoneCoda
Level 7

Jump to solution

New USB 3.0 cable deployed and the problem still exists. The Roku device doesn't see anything on the connected 3TB NTFS drive.

On another note, Roku support couldn't help me and said that I'd be contacted by one of their engineers for further trouble-shooting. That was several days ago and thus far no contact from anyone else at Roku.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

I see the Roku specs state the Ultra 4800 has USB 3.0. I just looked at mine and the port does have the blue color that 3.0 ports have. But I don't have any 3.0 devices to test in it. It sees 2.0 USB sticks without a problem. But the largest one I have is only 32 GB, so not a fair comparison. 

Older Roku players generally had a size limitation of 4 TB or so, but I don't know the exact size limit. I would expect the upgrade to 3.0 would also include a size limit increase. 

I just searched the developers documentation for any stated size limits for a drive and couldn't find any. The only reference I could locate about USB drives was this:

USB devices with VFAT, NTFS, HFS, and HFS Plus filesystems are supported. The USB filesystems are currently mounted read only.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos