Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Large 14TB USB hard drive not recognized

Jump to solution

Ill try to find that spec....

I edited my post did you read about partitioning?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RkkMe
Level 9

Jump to solution

Understand about partitioning, but think this is a different issue altogether, as it seems the hardware hasn't even reached the step to even try to read what's on the drive regardless of partitions that are on it. I'll keep it in mind but interested in all discussions on the matter, definitely. Not wanting to try to move everything off and repartition it, at least now... Smiley Sad

boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

Well it is an interesting question; How Big?

This should be published but I didnt find it.

However this https://support.roku.com/article/230160368

RkkMe
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yep, and main reason for my post. I haven't seen any limits posted about it either, and consumers should know if so. USB drive is powered fine using it's own supplied power adapter etc (and is fine again plugging into PC). Roku device just doesn't like it. Could be software or hardware issue or limitation with the Roku device.

0 Kudos
RkkMe
Level 9

Jump to solution

Holy moly. It was as simple as this previously from norcaljohnny. Drive was fine, swapped the new USB cable that was supplied with new drive with one of my older 5TB USB drive cables that did work, and it recognized it fine and now can play the files fine directly over USB. So size doesn't matter, everyone. At least for up to my tested 14TBs. But then there's the issue if you just had a new drive with no access to other older working cables, to ponder...

RkkMe
Level 9

Jump to solution

Just one last update from a side convo with norcaljohnny. Once the older cable was able to get the drive recognized and working, switching back the original cable that came with it worked as well, so now it works with all of the original hardware that came with the new drive.

boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

Glad it worked out for you.

I have two 2 Terabyte Hard Drives on this computer.

And a ton of Media Movies, old TV, and Music. between the two.

More than I could possibly watch probably.

To be honest 14T of space seems like over kill.

I would never want an HD of that size.

For the purpose of supplying Media through a simple Roku port?

Not happening here seems like Rube Goldberg stuff.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

I have about 20 TB of media storage, but it's spread across 4 different drives and all connected to my media computer. Far simpler to maintain in my humble opinion, and since I use a DLNA server to provide the media to the Roku, it's also available to every other smart device on my network. Unless you have a single TV, not smart phone or tablet, and don't plan on adding any, I feel it's far simpler to have a single media server PC. Plus I don't have to worry about the media being in a format supported by Roku. The DLNA server transcodes any unsupported codec or container. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

that seems more sensible and realistic to me.

As Ive said before I just pipe it over on a long HDMI cable to my TV.

Very easy to manage files with a full fledged computer.

0 Kudos
RkkMe
Level 9

Jump to solution

Sure, y'all, forking this thread into an entirely different conversation. But then here's a retort. Instead of requiring a PC up and running, an OS with no issues, a network with no issues (wifi and/or hard wired home network), network sharing settings appropriately set up and working right, and 300+ watts of power going on to ensure all of that works at the time you want to indulge whatever media it is you want to consume, consider this alternate scenario:

Hook the hard drive up to Roku and press play.

This thread was about getting my hard drive working, and that is resolved. Thanks to all, y'all. Other discussions can be made in new threads.

0 Kudos