Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RkkMe
Level 9

Large 14TB USB hard drive not recognized

Jump to solution

Testing a recently purchased WD Easystore 14TB external USB 3.0 hard drive (BestBuy link) and my roku device (Roku Ultra 2019 4670RW build 9.4.0 4200-46) does not recognize it. It is formatted as NTFS, has valid files, and works fine plugging into computer to play the same media files. When plugging into device, the drive tries to boot up and then blinks/buzzes like there was an error with whatever it is trying to do with the Roku device. I have several other 5TB drives that work without issue. Just seeing if this might be looked at in the software for a possible fix, or is this not supported?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
norcaljohnny
Level 11

Re: Large 14TB USB hard drive not recognized

Jump to solution

Try using a usb3 wire from one of your other drives that works with Roku and see if that does it.. 

I only say that because I have seen that happen to me on more than one occasion when using pro audio hardware. Cost doesn't seem to do with anything but it's worth a try.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
norcaljohnny
Level 11

Jump to solution

Try using a usb3 wire from one of your other drives that works with Roku and see if that does it.. 

I only say that because I have seen that happen to me on more than one occasion when using pro audio hardware. Cost doesn't seem to do with anything but it's worth a try.

View solution in original post

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It may simply be that the OS won't recognized that large of a drive. With some of the earliest Rokus the limit was 2 TB, and newer models have stepped that up a bit. 5-6 TB is the largest I've heard of that will work. I've always used a DLNA server to store my media, so I've never bothered with using the USB port on any of my players. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
norcaljohnny
Level 11

Jump to solution

Well its a unix/linux shell so I dont think its the OS itself but very well could be hardware limitations when trying to parse that many files and directories.

Can I ask how long did you let it run while trying to load the drive, could if be that it appears as a hanging when its still working? No on screen dialog errors?

0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Level 11

Jump to solution

Here is another thought i had when  reading the following

(Macs have an issue with some wired keyboards and the workaround was to connect it to a USB Hub or USB 2 extension to work.

Pro Tips

The tips below are of a technical nature and are provided for advanced users.

1. In general, USB 3.0 drives will work in USB 2.0 mode on Roku devices. However, some USB 3.0 drives may not work on TCL Roku TVs if you plug them directly into the USB port of the TV. You can use a USB 2.0 extension cable or USB 2.0 hub to get around this restriction.
  2. When using Ext2 or Ext3 Linux filesystems, it is important that files are created with permissions set for all to read.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@norcaljohnny wrote:

Well its a unix/linux shell so I don't think its the OS itself but very well could be hardware limitations when trying to parse that many files and directories.

Well, it is Linux based, but we have no idea in what way they may have tweaked the kernel, so it's possible that large drive support isn't there. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Level 11

Jump to solution

I did see the limit of 2tb as you mentioned on earlier devices but I do not see any other mention than that other than amount of power to for non powered USB drives and order in which devices should be connected and or powered on.

I would really hope Roku didn't place a limit other than the normal range allocated for os and format limits.

I actually answered a file directory limits on Stackoverflow found here > https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/99539/what-is-a-recommended-maximum-number-of-files-i... 

0 Kudos
RkkMe
Level 9

Jump to solution

I can confirm that I have 5TB Seagate Backup Plus portable drives that work fine with this specific device and other Roku Ultra models. This is just a new scenario that I think might be some sort of new software or hardware issue. There is a noticeable drive 'warning LED flicker' and audible buzz sound (for warning, not any sort of drive churning) that only happens when plugging the drive into the Roku USB port. Some 'handshake' that isn't happening so the drive says 'Yuck get me out of here'. I can hook same drive up to PC and play/share through DLNA/media sharing using the Roku Media Player as usual, but getting it to direct play by plugging into the Roku's own USB port was what I was trying to get working, but it does not work currently, as the Roku device doesn't seem to recognize the drive.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

You can try FAT 3 but what atc is telling you is right.

thats a monster of a hard drive and the OS isnt set up for it.

Try partitioning the Drive with one small partition with nothing else

and see if that works.

I'd be interested in knowing.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RkkMe
Level 9

Jump to solution

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If there are set limits, then what are the limits? I have 5TB drives that work fine (in a previous reply earlier, that moderators removed for some reason)

0 Kudos