Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: LATEST roku models without auto preview netflix?

Jump to solution
Update:  Got one of the two XS's working on angry birds!  I don't know why, but I wanted to try it with the motion remote.  So I am satisfied.   Yep one of them had it on there.  So I got to try it.  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution
"auto preview hater" wrote:
Update:  Got one of the two XS's working on angry birds!  I don't know why, but I wanted to try it with the motion remote.  So I am satisfied.   Yep one of them had it on there.  So I got to try it.  

Any idea how we can load Angry Birds on an XS if it's not there somehow?  I might try this myself, I'm a tinkerer and older hardware is retro cool IMO.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

So my XD 2050 model gave me message today that Netflix no longer supported effective December 1, 2019. Is there any way to get a list of which older models will still support Netflix after that date. Will this be impacting all the old Roku that use the old Netflix app? I tried searching Netflix and Roku websites and not finding anything to confirm.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@jsaxton 

I'd recommend contacting Netflix support to ask which Roku device models they will no longer support, per their recent notice. They'll be able to best advise support for their channel. You can reach them here: https://help.netflix.com/en/

Thanks,

Tanner 

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Something else to think about is the older Roku models will not any longer support new Roku OS updates. Maybe this is something that may not be important, but am guessing that soon other channels and functions will also be affected as well.

Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

The last Roku that did not support Netflix profiles was the Roku 2 (2720). Note there are newer versions of the Roku 2 that do support them. Basically, all Roku players that don't support Netflix profiles have been declared legacy and are no longer supported with updates. I would expect numerous channels to begin failing on those players in the not too distant future. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I did contact Netflix and don't feel confident in their answer. They were not able to give any exact model# of what Roku devices would be impacted only that if the pop-up message didn't appear on a specific device it should be fine and gave me a link that under Netflix Features is supposedly all the devices for Roku that will continue to be supported after December 1, 2019. I pointed out that it didn't make sense that 2009 Roku models would be on the list if mine that was after that date wouldn't be supported, but they said that was all the info they have available.

I primarily only use Roku for watching Netflix and I don't need or want profiles and autoplay features so not having support and updates from Roku has never been an issue. With the years of use I got out of my Roku purchasing a newer model would be fine if it was not forced to be on the newer Netflix app. Although if forced to have the newest Netflix app then it may be time to look into a different streaming device also.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

I can almost guarantee you that any other streaming device is going to have roughly the same Netflix UI. Switching from a Roku won't do you any good. The auto-preview was one of several reasons I completely dropped Netflix. Between Prime Video, YouTube, and my home media server, Netflix just didn't offer me enough to justify their latest price hike. And I wasn't even paying for 4K, as my past experience with them at 4K wasn't worth it either.

I recognize that for some Netflix might be the only place you can get something specific you want. In that case, you're just plain stuck with their user interface. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

I can almost guarantee you that any other streaming device is going to have roughly the same Netflix UI. Switching from a Roku won't do you any good.

Not sure when it became available, but you can turn off AUTOPLAY PREVIEW across all devices now under PLAYBACK SETTINGS when you access your Netflix account via web browser.

TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

@blade_005 wrote:

Not sure when it became available, but you can turn off AUTOPLAY PREVIEW across all devices now under PLAYBACK SETTINGS when you access your Netflix account via web browser.

Apparently it just came out today. On the AVS Forums it was just mentioned today in the Roku and the Shield forums. 

Of course, now Roku has to turn framerate matching back on for Netflix.

Dan
0 Kudos