Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: LATEST roku models without auto preview netflix?

Jump to solution
Believe it or not, I have a much newer Roku, but I prefer to use my 2 XS. I mainly use it because of the fact that it has the old, much better Netflix, and it has Angry Birds. It also has the gaming remote which my other Roku doesn't have, so it's less limited with the games I can play. It's also the main Roku i've used for years and has all of my streaming apps already installed. This is one of the reasons I love the Roku systems so much. A box from 2011 still works with modern apps and streaming services.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution
"taco56" wrote:
Believe it or not, I have a much newer Roku, but I prefer to use my 2 XS. I mainly use it because of the fact that it has the old, much better Netflix, and it has Angry Birds. It also has the gaming remote which my other Roku doesn't have, so it's less limited with the games I can play. It's also the main Roku i've used for years and has all of my streaming apps already installed. This is one of the reasons I love the Roku systems so much. A box from 2011 still works with modern apps and streaming services.

How can you like the old Netflix interface? The new one allows separate logins for everyone in your home. The old one only allows one to use the account owners movie list. Having separate logins allows everyone to have their won list of titles for viewing. That alone makes it worthwhile to have a new one. Same goes with Hulu.
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution
"ronfelder" wrote:
"taco56" wrote:

How can you like the old Netflix interface? The new one allows separate logins for everyone in your home. The old one only allows one to use the account owners movie list. Having separate logins allows everyone to have their won list of titles for viewing. That alone makes it worthwhile to have a new one. Same goes with Hulu.

Getting the ability to use profiles isn't enough to make the new UI tolerable. I'd rather have no profiles if it means none of the new Netflix annoyances. Also the older Netflix app is still there since it's used on older models. It's ridiculous that users with a newer Roku player can't select which Netflix app they want installed, forcing the new one even with the old one still available is total arrogance by Netflix, they care very little about customer satisfaction and only want to push the viewing experience on you that they want you to have based on their market research.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution
The two happiest days in a Netflix Streaming customer's life are:
The Day you get it...
The Day you cancel...
(also works for former Boat Owners)

Netflix thought I would enjoy what their developers cook up...
They were wrong.

Been a happy non-Netflix-Streamer for almost 5 years - the happiest 5 years of my life.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution
"Emissary35" wrote:
Getting the ability to use profiles isn't enough to make the new UI tolerable. I'd rather have no profiles if it means none of the new Netflix annoyances. Also the older Netflix app is still there since it's used on older models. It's ridiculous that users with a newer Roku player can't select which Netflix app they want installed, forcing the new one even with the old one still available is total arrogance by Netflix, they care very little about customer satisfaction and only want to push the viewing experience on you that they want you to have based on their market research.

I agree, at least with Netflix you can watch some content offline but certainly not using a Roku.  A simple thing you'd think but can't cast to a Roku if it's offline, this wonderful device attached to your expensive television, your pride and joy, curiously transforms into a magic brick.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution
Chicken, you've "proven" you don't like Roku products.. why not just move along?

Very few if ANY streaming devices allow offline streaming, and I can't think of ANY other than phones and tablets that have enough internal storage to allow offline Netflix viewing, including Fire TV devices and Apple TV.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution
"jeffrok" wrote:
Chicken, you've "proven" you don't like Roku products.. why not just move along?

Very few if ANY streaming devices allow offline streaming, and I can't think of ANY other than phones and tablets that have enough internal storage to allow offline Netflix viewing, including Fire TV devices and Apple TV.

Well let's see, if I had downloaded a netflix movie onto my cellphone and then moved to a remote location, and wanted to beam it wirelessly to a large screen, I guess Roku is out of the question as a design featurefunction?  Seems like the hardware would be perfectly capable.

It's not my intent to go off subject though, making the point these companies know what's needed but competition isn't there to motivate them.  They integrate irritating featurefunctions instead.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution
"jeffrok" wrote:

Yea, 'Offline' Netflix viewing for most folks is a hack.

I watch 'Offline' content on my Roku(s), including Netflix (Disks) off the Plex Server (that never sleeps). No ignernt Netflix UI, but there's an ignernt Plex UI (not quite as bad), so you can't claim total victory. Plex hasn't started forcing pre-roll video down my throat. Yet. So there's that.

Not sure how to cast to a sleeping Roku, but if you wake it up that operation will go much more smoothly, I would imagine.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution
I've watched both Amazon and Netflix movies offline using an iPad. But that device has storage available. Devices like a Roku or Fire TV don't contain that sort of storage, and for their designed uses there's no reason to. I've never tried casting a video from an iPad to a Roku, but I understand the iOS doesn't support it very well. I've cast from an Android phone with no issues, but that wasn't a downloaded offline video. 
But I think we've gone a little off topic... Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
But I think we've gone a little off topic... Smiley LOL

The moral of that story is:
Deal with the Screwy Netflix Feature Set or Cancel. Netflix, obviously, isn't interested in User Input, their UI developers have run amok and it's costing them Customers, but not enough to impact the Gillions in profit margin, so they do what they want, when they want, to whoever they want.
0 Kudos