Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LATEST roku models without auto preview netflix?

Assuming I don't cancel yet... what it the latest version rokus I can get on the used market that do not support auto preview?

That way I can postpone cancelling netflix until whatever model roku it is becomes too sluggish for me.   I don't know why this bugs me so much but it does. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
37 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: LATEST roku models without auto preview netflix?

There are no such beasts in the current or even recent Roku lineup. I strongly recommend against even trying to accomplish what you want. Personally I canceled Netflix over three years ago and I have not missed it at all. Prime video fills the holes nicely but even that I do not use often.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 9

It isn't just auto previews that are annoying. But also automatic playing of videos when you select a title to simply read the info. Pop up buttons asking you to skip recaps and intros, ratings popping on the screen to start the video which is not necessary since it's in the info itself. Then of course the shrinking credits and suggestions plastered all over your screen, Netflix is just a cesspool of distractions always trying to force you to watch the next thing. Cancelling Netflix and never looking back is the best option.
0 Kudos

Right I'm with you, but that is not what my post is asking.  I have a "2xs" I believe it is, and it works fine, responsive enough for me, with no previews.  And I enjoy using it even with netflix.  So yes it is possible in 2019 to use an older roku model and still enjoy netflix without the preview in this way.   Like I said in my original post I'll cancel if for some reason this option becomes unavailable.  I recently added a new roku to my place with the crap interface... would rather buy used for my next one.  Just a question of which used model I'm buying next.

Anybody with a gen newer than the 2xs chime in and let us know if it does the auto preview?
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"auto preview hater" wrote:
Right I'm with you, but that is not what my post is asking.  I have a "2xs" I believe it is, and it works fine, responsive enough for me, with no previews.  And I enjoy using it even with netflix.  So yes it is possible in 2019 to use an older roku model and still enjoy netflix without the preview in this way.   Like I said in my original post I'll cancel if for some reason this option becomes unavailable.  I recently added a new roku to my place with the crap interface... would rather buy used for my next one.  Just a question of which used model I'm buying next.

Anybody with a gen newer than the 2xs chime in and let us know if it does the auto preview?

Fairly certain that was the last one.  Or any of the 2nn line like the 2XD or 2HD or 2XS but not the "2".  Poor naming convention.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

That would be the best model that doesn't have that feature. I think the Roku 1/SE (2710) and Roku 2 (2720) released when the Roku 3 came out were the latest models that had the older Netflix. These had the same processing power as the Roku 2 XS (and no Ethernet Port). The Streaming Stick (3500)/Roku 3 and above got the new Netflix. All devices that I know of have the new UI.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

Yeah, my Roku 1 (2710) has the old Netflix but it's basically the same specs as the 2 XS like trekkeriii said, just a bit more memory, I wouldn't recommend getting it.
0 Kudos

Appreciate the confirmation! Time to hoard some used rokii 2xxx now... I really like the roku interface.  I actually may end up using some of these older models on modern televisions with built in 4k roku ui, if you believe that.   The viewing distances involved make 4k pointless so 1080p is great for me.  Even 720p is great at common viewing distances imo.  Thats a whole other thread so I wont get started on that.

Like I've mentioned I still do enjoy using netflix, but if for some reason these older 2xxx units become sluggish I will have to cancel netflix for my sanity.  I don't have any 1st generation roku units, but I have seen on youtube vids that they are very sluggish.  I don't know if that is just how they always were or if it is because of the ui updates over the years.

BTW anybody with a 2xs want to trade me for a hardly used newer model??  NETFLIX ARE YOU LISTENING???
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

My 2 XS has been stuffed in a drawer for a couple of years, because I consider it unusable. I've dropped Netflix, so their annoying UI doesn't bother me anymore.  Smiley LOL But with other channels, most specifically YouTube (which I use almost daily), it's worthless. Pressing a button on the remote and the YouTube UI will respond in about 5 seconds or so. I also have a small Insignia Roku TV, and it too has issues with YouTube. But the TV was acting up in other ways, so I just replaced it with a normal set and added a Roku Premiere. That combination is a vast improvement over the processing power of the Insignia TV. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ronfelder
Level 8

"twiceover" wrote:

Fairly certain that was the last one.  Or any of the 2nn line like the 2XD or 2HD or 2XS but not the "2".  Poor naming convention.

I have a Roku 2xs. It's sluggish as all get out. That's why it's been replaced with the latest model. Besides being sluggish there are many new channels that won't run on it. Example I went to install for someone the Xfinity app on the 2xs. It won't install fo rit's to old. You also have only the primary accout holders login in. No mufti user log ins. so basically I dont' understand why uyou don't want the newest. What's the big deal seeing a preview of the show? Better the old sluggish 2xs. Id only use that one if I couldn't afford a new Roku.
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos