Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffcc
Level 7

Korean/Chinese SRT files not rendering on Roku

I am trying to sideload the subtitle tracks, my content has Korean/Vietnamese subtitles (these are in .SRT files). But the player doesnt render it properly, it shows up like this [][][][][][][] .!

This issue has been driving me crazy? It was working fine before and now it just displaying square symbol.

Screenshot down below
https://imgur.com/a/LxFFoZr
0 Kudos
8 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: Korean/Chinese SRT files not rendering on Roku

These same srt files played before or are you saying other korean files played? If these played once fine then that is odd, but not ruling out that you just downloaded improper sub file. Have you viewed the srt content to see if it is right?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
jeffcc
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:
These same srt files played before or are you saying other korean files played? If these played once fine then that is odd, but not ruling out that you just downloaded improper sub file. Have you viewed the srt content to see if it is right?

Yes the same srt played before and the new one for the new movie. It just suddenly giving me those square. I have checked the subtitles and make sure its UTF 8 or do anything just to make sure it is conpatible but nothing works. I even factory reset but no luck
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

You don't state which roku you use. I just visited a family member and two of two movies had srt/subtitle misbehavior. His was a 2XS, and subs would stop and restart.
FZ
0 Kudos
jeffcc
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:
You don't state which roku you use. I just visited a family member and two of two movies had srt/subtitle misbehavior. His was a 2XS, and subs would stop and restart.

Oh it is a built-in Roku TV. My model is 55S405, it doesnt state what roku it is using
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

I have no ideas but hoped that keeping your thread active someone else may suggest something. Maybe I'll download a korean sub file for one of my movies and see what I get.
FZ
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

That's a TCL 4K Roku TV. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffcc
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
That's a TCL 4K Roku TV. 

"dgrace" wrote:
I have no ideas but hoped that keeping your thread active someone else may suggest something. Maybe I'll download a korean sub file for one of my movies and see what I get.

Sorry for misunderstanding
This is what the subtitle looks like. I have no idea why it start acting like this since 8.0.0 update
https://imgur.com/a/LxFFoZr

and this is the sub file
https://subscene.com/subtitles/thor-rag ... se/1707171
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

I tried that sub file with a random movie and it worked fine, but did have a few instances of the author putting in his "tag" to let everyone know he made it. You've tried downloading others to try? It makes no sense that it would mis-display on your device. I'd be inclined to suspect the fonts if it was happening on a PC, but your TV wouldn't have font files, I wouldn't think.
I just read this about your TV and setting closed captions, page 92 of your manual:
The Captions preferred languagesetting lets you select the language in which you want closed captioning to appear, when that language is available. If your preferred language is not available, then captioning reverts to the default language for the

program, which usually is English.
Highlight the language you prefer, and then press
OKto select it.
I wonder if its set to english and tries to render the subs but can't for unrecognized charactors.
FZ
0 Kudos