Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Is there a Chromecast app for Roku?

Jump to solution

I'm in the market for a streaming device. I'm tired of paying Verizon $160/month.

I can't decide which device to get - Roku, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, Tivo Stream 4K. Don't want Amazon because the search results are biased towards Amazon!

My contract with FIOS is up for renewal in May 2021. So I want to do something soon.

Roku can sort of cast to the TV. I researched it. It uses what is called DIAL (Discovery & Launch). Chromecast used to use DIAL but not any more.

So what does one do if one has a Roku & wants to use Chromecast?

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Re: Is there a Chromecast app for Roku?

Jump to solution

WOW!!!

I didn't think that I'd get such a response from a simple question.

I'd say that my question has been answered. Thanks for explaining. Roku doesn't support Chromecast. I hope that someday it will.

I know that the Roku OS is based on Linux. So is Android. So, I guess that Roku would be compatible with Chromecast. I wonder if this will start another discussion?

View solution in original post

thetick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Christobutt wrote:

One major distinction is that mirroring consumes two screens. Mirroring means whatever is on one screen is showing on the second screen, therefore you can't use the first screen to do other things without interrupting the second screen. Casting does not do this. I can cast something to a second screen and then do something entirely different on my phone and the second screen will still play what's been cast without continuing to use my phone's resources. 

Wrong! What you mean is your phone's casting capabilities are limited.

I have a PC with multiple monitors.  I can use Chrome Cast Tab to Chromecast on one monitor full screen and run on the other monitor other computer applications at the same exact time while the monitor contents are being cast.  I do it all the time.  So I just proved Chrome Cast Tab is exactly the same as mirroring one computer screen.

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Some phones/tablets can cast to a Roku, but it varies. Many Android devices will only work with a genuine Chromecast as they don't include extra drivers to work with other casting devices.

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

So, you've verified what I read online.

Why doesn't Roku fully support Chromecast?

Do the powers that be at Roku plan to fully support Chromecast in the future?

The different casting programs are confusing to the consumer - Miracast, Chromecast, AirPlay, DLNA!

twiceover
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Well, 1 it is google's technology so they would need cooperation from one of the least cooperative companies in the USA.  I doubt Roku has any plan to add this in their books, but we will not know until it reaches testing.

If casting random videos from odd websites is your life, then you should buy a chromecast.  

thetick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
@cordcutternewbi wrote:

The different casting programs are confusing to the consumer - Miracast, Chromecast, AirPlay, DLNA!

Welcome to technology! Smiley Happy

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Just when I think that I've decided on a streaming device, something happens!

Roku doesn't support Chromecast but it does support screen mirroring which is basically the same thing!

Confusing!

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The screen mirroring that roku provides is 'miracast' which requires a wifi-direct connection between the devices, and not all PC hardware can do that.    Chromecast works over your existing network connection but the screen mirroring part does not work on the roku.   Some applications provide their own 'casting' function where the phone app tells the TV app what content to play but the TV app gets its own copy.  YouTube/Netflix/Plex and possibly others may work this way on the roku (you'll know because the phone app itself will show the cast icon).

Generally, screen mirroring of some other device is inefficient and not the best way to view things even where it does work.   If you are playing content from the internet, chances are there is a roku app to play it directly.  If you are playing from files, you can use a server like Plex on your computer to send them, or put them on a USB drive to play with the roku media player, or put them on a phone or tablet and send them with the roku app.

If you really, really need chromecast protocol, get an android TV instead of a roku or a separate chromecast device.  Or, if you want a perfect display from your computer screen use an HDMI cable to the TV.

cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

According to Wikipedia, the last version of miracast was released in July 2017.

Also, according to Wikipedia, Apple does not support Miracast & Android dropped support for Miracast in 2015. I guess that the powers-that-be at Miracast saw the handwriting on the wall.

I'm confused! I've seen YouTube videos that explain how to use screen mirroring on Roku.

I have a MacBook Air. Since Apple doesn't support Miracast, I reckon that I can't cast my laptop screen to a Roku, right?

I don't want to fool with setting up a server, Plex or otherwise.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You can mirror a windows PC to the Roku with varying results - I have an HP spectre that works almost perfectly, but another PC will not.  Oddly the spectre connects but is too slow to be usable with a Sony TV that also offers miracast and I have no idea what the difference is.

Anyway, this app might be your solution for the Mac if you don't want to use an HDMI cable.  I haven't tried it myself but it might be worth the cost and it looks like they have a free trial so you can be sure:   https://www.airbeam.tv/

0 Kudos
Christobutt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Chromecast and screen mirroring are not even close to the same thing.