Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Is my Roku Express - HD Streaming Player Dying?

I've had my Roku since 2017 and it's been working just fine, up until a couple of days ago when the sound on some films and some series on both Amazon and Netflix disappeared.  For the ones with sound, the voice and mouth don't sync and at times, just shuts down.  Is my Roku dying or is there a fix?  Thanks.for any and all help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Is my Roku Express - HD Streaming Player Dying?

The original Express (model 3700) was released Oct 2016. The next update was the model 3900, released Oct 2017. The 3900 has a newer processor and was more powerful than the original Express. Other than that, they were pretty much the same. 

Your issue isn't something that is commonly seen, so it's tough to say what the issue might be. The first suggestion would be to remove the problematic channels, reboot the Roku, then add them back in again. Don't forget the reboot step, it's critical. If there are still audio issues, before trying a factory reset I'd try it on a different TV. Try to eliminate every other possible area there could be an issue. Try a different HDMI cable, although that's an unlikely cause.

If all else fails, a factory reset will sometimes clear up strange issues. There's an option under Settings to do a factory reset. Once that's done, you have to set it up from the beginning as a new player. All your currently installed channels will be restored, but any that require authentication will have to be set up again.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you for the tips.  I will try them when I get home tonight.  I don't have a second TV so that's not an option.  I did speak with someone with Prime and he walked me through deleting the app and re-installing it, to no avail.  One dumb question, though. When I re-boot Roku, am I merely unplugging it from the TV & router and plugging everything back in while the TV is on?  One other thing, I don't have cable so I don't have a cable box, but I do have an internet router.  When the problems started, I had the Roku plugged into the router.  Now I have it plugged into a surge protector because I was getting "low power" messages from Roku. I'll check in tomorrow after I've gone through your troubleshooting suggestions. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Patthekat wrote:

Thank you for the tips.  I will try them when I get home tonight.  I don't have a second TV so that's not an option.  I did speak with someone with Prime and he walked me through deleting the app and re-installing it, to no avail.  One dumb question, though. When I re-boot Roku, am I merely unplugging it from the TV & router and plugging everything back in while the TV is on?  One other thing, I don't have cable so I don't have a cable box, but I do have an internet router.  When the problems started, I had the Roku plugged into the router.  Now I have it plugged into a surge protector because I was getting "low power" messages from Roku. I'll check in tomorrow after I've gone through your troubleshooting suggestions. 

No honest question is ever dumb. Smiley Happy There are two ways to reboot a Roku. One is using the Settings/System/System restart menu item. The other is to pull the power (you don't have to disconnect the HDMI cable), wait 20-30 seconds, then power it back on. If this is not done after you remove the channel but before you add the channel back, the channel was never really removed and whatever might be the problem wasn't deleted. So the restart is absolutely critical when removing a channel.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

You are so incredibly helpful - Dan?  I will get to it as soon as I get home and get back to you tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

I'm just another user like you that tries to assist with the experience I have. Fingers crossed! Smiley Very Happy

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Your instructions were great but alas, nothing worked!!!  I deleted a whole bunch of apps before re-booting and after re-booting, I re-installed only Netflix.  I tried it out and the same films/episodes were still soundless.   When I get home tonight I'm going to disconnect everything and maybe try to connect it all again tomorrow and see if that helps.  If not, I'm just going to have to order a new Roku.  BTW the factory re-set involves a code of some kind that I didn't know where to find.  I really appreciate your help in trying to help me troubleshoot my troubled Roku. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Patthekat wrote:

Your instructions were great but alas, nothing worked!!!  I deleted a whole bunch of apps before re-booting and after re-booting, I re-installed only Netflix.  I tried it out and the same films/episodes were still soundless.   When I get home tonight I'm going to disconnect everything and maybe try to connect it all again tomorrow and see if that helps.  If not, I'm just going to have to order a new Roku.  BTW the factory re-set involves a code of some kind that I didn't know where to find.  I really appreciate your help in trying to help me troubleshoot my troubled Roku. 

Unless you have manually set a code, I believe you just use 0000. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I could try that.  I'm so fried with dealing with this issue that I'm just going to get myself a Streaming Stick through Amazon.  At least they have a great return policy if it doesn't do the trick. I am able to watch everything on my iPhone.  It's just the Roku/TV combo that doesn't work.  You've been so helpful, Dan.  I really appreciate it.  

0 Kudos