Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ron06479
Level 7

Is it true Roku 2 will stop receiving updates???

Jump to solution

I received an email today from what seems to be from Roku.

This is what the first paragraph said.

Thanks for being a longtime Roku streamer. We see that you own a classic Roku player that’s many generations behind our newest devices. We’re reaching out to let you know that, as of November 15th, this Roku player will no longer receive new software updates, and to extend a special offer to keep you streaming well into the future

Just checking to see if anyone else received this too or if someone from Roku can verify this. 

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Is it true Roku 2 will stop receiving updates???

Jump to solution

For everyone here. Yes, this is true, and it actually applies to more players than that. But they are all first and second generation players. In reality they have a hard time keeping up with the latest channel versions. I have a 3100, which is the Roku 2 XS. It's been in a drawer for over a year because it's so underpowered. YouTube is impossible to use. Netflix doesn't want to support the version of their channel that these players use. 

When you realize that these players were all released before mid-2012, you'll see they are getting quite old. Their hardware won't support adequately the latest programming language that Roku uses. It's getting hard to find software that runs on Windows XP any longer, because again it's gotten too old. 

Sure, it would be nice for manufacturers to support their hardware indefinitely. But that just isn't the real world. The first version of the Nvidia Shield came out in 2015, and most people are shocked that it's still supported. Part of the reason is because it was far ahead of its time, so the hardware continued to support the latest updates. But it cost $200 then as well, back when the most expensive Roku was maybe $70. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Concon
Level 7

Jump to solution

I received also not understanding if it pertains to me. We have a Sharp Roku tv

0 Kudos
ReMs72
Level 7

Jump to solution

It doesn't state which models are "classic", I have 5 Roku's the update deal only allows 1 per household, This stinks, Especially if installed apps stop working. I WILL NOT buy 5 more Roku streaming boxes.

Ron Martin

0 Kudos
BigSooner
Level 7

Jump to solution

I got the same email.

I only have 1 Roku device as other TV's are all Smart TV.

Just don't know which ROKU to get. They are offering an upgrade with cost of $15 but with shipping and tax cost is $25. Am I better to get a more advanced Roku?

Just don't know which one to but. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
TLH
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thanks for posting this! I received the same email today. The device I have that Roku is claiming is a ‘classic’ version is actually a Roku Premier I purchased from them directly just 2.5 yrs ago.
greenbre
Level 7

Jump to solution

I received the same email.  I have 2 devices.  I cannot tell which device is "classic".  Is there a phone number to contact customer service?

0 Kudos
adamc
Level 8

Jump to solution

At the very bottom of the email, in small print, they identify the devices as "For owners of Roku 2 (3000X, 3050X, 3100X)."

Planned obsolescence sucks.

TLH
Level 7

Jump to solution
I also have two devices - an Express (so I knew that wasn’t the one referred to as ‘classic’) and a Premier. However, I did notice since my earlier post that on my account, Roku still has an older HD classic model listed/paired as a third device (but I no longer have or use that version). So that’s why I probably got the email. I couldn’t find a way to remove that devise from my account.

I haven’t been successful in finding a customer service phone number. Don’t think it’s an option with Roku.
0 Kudos
TLH
Level 7

Jump to solution
Interesting! In the fine print of my email it says, “For owners of a Roku HD (2500X) model only.” I used to have this model and found it still listed as a device on my account, but no longer use it nor have it connected. Seems like emails must’ve been targeted to those of us with prior models still listed (?) and the fine printed customized accordingly. Or not. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

For everyone here. Yes, this is true, and it actually applies to more players than that. But they are all first and second generation players. In reality they have a hard time keeping up with the latest channel versions. I have a 3100, which is the Roku 2 XS. It's been in a drawer for over a year because it's so underpowered. YouTube is impossible to use. Netflix doesn't want to support the version of their channel that these players use. 

When you realize that these players were all released before mid-2012, you'll see they are getting quite old. Their hardware won't support adequately the latest programming language that Roku uses. It's getting hard to find software that runs on Windows XP any longer, because again it's gotten too old. 

Sure, it would be nice for manufacturers to support their hardware indefinitely. But that just isn't the real world. The first version of the Nvidia Shield came out in 2015, and most people are shocked that it's still supported. Part of the reason is because it was far ahead of its time, so the hardware continued to support the latest updates. But it cost $200 then as well, back when the most expensive Roku was maybe $70. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos