Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrokenEye
Level 8

Re: Is it true Roku 2 will stop receiving updates???

Jump to solution

Not sure what you're referring to. I've got a Roku 2 (3100X), and Netflix and YouTube work perfectly on it.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@BrokenEye wrote:

Not sure what you're referring to. I've got a Roku 2 (3100X), and Netflix and YouTube work perfectly on it.

The 3100 is the Roku 2 XS. At least on the two I own, YouTube was terribly unresponsive, sometimes taking over 5 seconds to respond to a remote button press. And it would often crash during playback. Also, for local media playback, it would become overloaded with video bitrates much over 12Kbps. That's fine for a DVD rip, but required transcoding for any HD material. The 3100 only has two worthwhile features. It has a Fast Ethernet port, so didn't rely on WiFi, and the remote uses Bluetooth instead of WiFi Direct. But those two features could not overcome its other limitations. I don't use Netflix, so can't speak to how well it performed. But since it doesn't support Netflix Profiles, I would expect Netflix to drop support for it as well.

If it's still functional for you, that's great. As long as the channels still work, keep using it. But don't be surprised if channels start failing, or even disappearing from your home screen. It's a legacy player, and they won't provide any further support for it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
BrokenEye
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks. That gets me a little closer to deciding whether or not to upgrade.

0 Kudos
adamc
Level 8

Jump to solution

Given the decision to obsolete devices that work fine, I can only say, I will not be buying another Roku. Not good for the environment.

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 8

Jump to solution

@adamc wrote:

Given the decision to obsolete devices that work fine, I can only say, I will not be buying another Roku. Not good for the environment.

While I can appreciate the sentiment, you're kidding yourself if you think there's some other company where you can take your business that isn't going to do (or hasn't already done) the exact same thing.

adamc
Level 8

Jump to solution

Perhaps so. But there is no reason to give Roku another chance.

0 Kudos
mmm88
Level 7

Jump to solution

[content removed]

0 Kudos