Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Roku 32bit or 64bit?

Since the Roku OS is based off Linux and since most Linux distros are going 64bit only. I'm wondering if Roku devices are moving towards 64bit as well? Such as the Roku Ultra. Is the Roku Ultra 64bit and what about other Roku devices that came out over the past couple of years?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 7

Re: Is Roku 32bit or 64bit?

The Roku Ultra uses the ARM Cortex 53, which is a 64-bit processor. I'm guessing that both the Roku Ultra and the Streaming Stick+ are both 64bit. (And anything else with the ARM Cortex 53 processor in it would be 64-bit as well)

0 Kudos

Thanks. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Level 13

@SuperSapien64 wrote:

Since the Roku OS is based off Linux and since most Linux distros are going 64bit only. I'm wondering if Roku devices are moving towards 64bit as well? Such as the Roku Ultra. Is the Roku Ultra 64bit and what about other Roku devices that came out over the past couple of years?

The majority of Linux distros have switched their Intel/AMD to x86_64 only moving away from compiling applications for i386/i586/i686 32-bit family of processors.  The Intel 32-bit architechure originally could only address 4 gigabytes of RAM.  There was later a messy 36-bit memory addressing system created called PAE to allow the operating system to use more than 4GB, but any one specific program was still limited the the 4GB limit.  Since Intel/AMD workstations and laptops are common place that have more than 4GB of RAM, it make sense to discontinue compiling 32-bit code for that architechure.

For ARM Linux, 32-bit is still commonly supported by distributions.  Raspberry Pi OS, another Linux distro for ARM, was just released in 64-bit in August of this year and is considered beta.  The 32-bit flavor of Raspberry Pi OS is still recommended for general use.

As already pointed out, Roku hardware is Cortex A53 which is capable of running a 64-bit kernels and apps.  Roku has been shipping Cortex A53 processors since 2016.  That doesn't mean Roku OS is 64-bit and it would be hard to tell the difference between a Roku OS that is 32-bit or 64-bit.  The tasks that are the most processor intensive are video decoding (such as H.264/H.265) and encryption (such as AES).  Several modern processors provide hardware accelerated methods to perform those tasks efficently, even from a 32-bit application.

BrightScript, the language several Roku channels are coded in, supports both 64-bit integer and 64-bit floating point math.  That doesn't prove the interpreter itself runs as a 64-bit binary as it is possible for a script interpreter to support 64-bit math while itself running as a 32-bit binary.

I am not sure if Roku OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.  However, regardless of what your favorite LInux distro is doing for Intel/AMD architecture will not impact Roku.  GCC continues to support compiling firmware for either 32-bit or 64-bit ARM and will do so for a long time.

0 Kudos