Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ken1234
Reel Rookie

Is ROKU 2 finally dead?

Jump to solution

With the new ROKU release (I see the new logo on my TV), my Roku 2 remote does nothing -- all buttons are inactive. (Yes, I checked the batteries 🙂 )  It was working a few weeks ago with the old home screen, but I see now there is a new release and I see the new logo.

Is there some way to set up my Roku 2 box and remote to work with the new release? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is ROKU 2 finally dead?

Jump to solution

If you're not getting to the Home Screen with the menu and all your channels then you might want to try a factory reset.  Find the pinhole for the reset button and with the power connected use a paperclip or something similar to press and hold the button for no less than 30 seconds.

The power adapters for these things can and do go bad, so that's another possibility.  If you have another one from another Roku look at the find print where it tells you what the output is and if it's the same give it a try.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
renojim

Jump to solution

Are you saying it makes it to the Home Screen where all your channels are displayed?  Have you verified that the remote is working?  Point it at your phone's camera (or some other digital camera) and press a button.  You should see a flash of light coming from the remote on your camera's screen.

0 Kudos
Ken1234
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, renojim, for your good question and suggestion.

I followed the obvious suggestion on another thread here, and rebooted the Roku box. Before, I got only a frozen "ROKU" logo on the screen. Now, I get a mobile logo with dancing letters, a bouncing "5000", clouds, and music (I tried to attach a photo here, but couldn't figure out how).

But I don't get to the home screen, no matter what I press on the remote.

Your idea of using my phone camera to test the remote was brilliant -- it confirms that there IS a light when I press a button. But even holding the remote inches from the box gave no response to it.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Until it gets past the bouncing Roku letters and reaches the Roku home screen, I don't think your Roku is even receptive to signals from the remote.

If you have an SD card installed in your Roku 2 HD, try removing it and starting up again.  Back when I was using a Roku 3 a corrupted SD card would do what you describe.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Ken1234
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi makaiguy, yes, that's exactly the situation -- no response to the remote. I've never used an SD card with the Roku.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

If you're not getting to the Home Screen with the menu and all your channels then you might want to try a factory reset.  Find the pinhole for the reset button and with the power connected use a paperclip or something similar to press and hold the button for no less than 30 seconds.

The power adapters for these things can and do go bad, so that's another possibility.  If you have another one from another Roku look at the find print where it tells you what the output is and if it's the same give it a try.

Ken1234
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

renojim, YOU ARE THE WINNER! Many thanks!

I didn't even know about the reset button, I only tried a power disconnect/reconnect which didn't help.

But the reset button brought my Roku 2 back to life successfully!

0 Kudos