Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is DVR service available with streaming tvs

Jump to solution

I am looking to reduce my monthly cable bill but my only hesitancy is due to my DVR service. I love being able to record and watch shows at my leisure and when my work schedule permits , so my question is If I were to cut service from my cable provider would I still have the capability to "DVR" specific programs that i typically record. my cable bill is in the ball park of $150.00 a month and just trying to save some money.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Is DVR service available with streaming tvs

Jump to solution

The Roku itself is not a DVR. It's just a streaming device. Any DVR support will depend on the service you replace your cable TV with, assuming you want 'live' TV. Most streaming services are mostly OnDemand-style. If you want traditional cable-like service with a DVR, you will need to check out other cable-replacement services, which often will cost nearly as much as traditional cable TV.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
34 REPLIES 34
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The Roku itself is not a DVR. It's just a streaming device. Any DVR support will depend on the service you replace your cable TV with, assuming you want 'live' TV. Most streaming services are mostly OnDemand-style. If you want traditional cable-like service with a DVR, you will need to check out other cable-replacement services, which often will cost nearly as much as traditional cable TV.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

As indicated in the previous post Roku devices are not DVR capable, however several streaming services like YouTube TV are.  

0 Kudos
rvtips
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

As indicated in the previous post Roku devices are not DVR capable, however several streaming services like YouTube TV are.  

==============================================================================

Are saying YouTube TV will let me do this? If so what is the cost?

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Live TV streaming services such as YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu with live TV, FuboTV and DirecTV Stream all use a cloud based DVR. YouTube TV is $65/month

0 Kudos
rvtips
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks,I have looked into Directv streaming.$ 69.99 for the cheapest one.That is what I am paying now for my cable box.I can not get my locale channels with my box.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rvtips what cable box? Most cable companies offer basic cable which includes all 4 local channels and PBS. DirecTV Stream is good I used for a year. 

0 Kudos
rvtips
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That would be fine,But I was hoping to pay less than the $ 69.00 that I am paying Directv now.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

YouTube TV - $65

Hulu with live TV - $69

DirecTV Stream - $69 - $149

FuboTV - $65

Philo - $25 (no locals)

Sling - $30 - 40 (Not all locals are offered)

If you really want to save then use Philo and an antenna. But antennas don't work in most areas. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@rvtips 

Also:

• Vidgo ($55/month)
  • Frndly.TV ($7/month)

For local channels, you could look at an antenna. Most Americans live close enough to pick up with a decent outdoor antenna, and many can use an indoor antenna. Check https://antennaweb.org. If you get no results, check the "over 30' tall" box. My antenna is less than 30' but I get all the stations it suggests.

With that, your options for a live streaming service opens up.

As for which of the services works best for you, try https://suppose.tv or other similar online tools. Put in your ZIP code and check the devices you intend to use, then search for the channels you want. Start with the "must have" ones, if any. Once you narrow the list down, you can then decide if the others are worth the cost difference.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."