Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Is 4640x needing replacement

I replaced my old roku with an ultra 4640x in jan.2017, and could not find info as to how newer players may be different.  I think if it's quad core and can run v9.2 that's the best you can ask for, but just wanted to see if i should be looking into replacing it or if a newer roku ultra is on the horizon. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Is 4640x needing replacement

@cdaraghy 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Our latest Ultra models are the Roku Ultra LT (4662RW) and the Roku Ultra (4670R).

For more information about these devices, you can check out our Products page here: Roku Streaming Players

Happy Streaming,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Is 4640x needing replacement

@cdaraghy wrote:

I replaced my old roku with an ultra 4640x in jan.2017, and could not find info as to how newer players may be different.  I think if it's quad core and can run v9.2 that's the best you can ask for, but just wanted to see if i should be looking into replacing it or if a newer roku ultra is on the horizon. 

I have a 4640 and the new 4670. The newer player offers a touch more speed, but overall really isn't noticeable. You will lose your optical output, and also your built-in Dolby Digital encoder. If you use a TV or AVR that doesn't support DD+, having that built-in encoder allows you to keep your 5.1 audio.

The 4670 doubles the system memory (2 GB vs. 1 GB) but reduces the channel storage memory from 1 GB to 512 MB. Both have quad core CPUs, but the 4670 does use a faster ARM processor over the older MStar processor. I don't know what the CPU speed is for the ARM processor. The 4670 also comes with the latest voice remote, that also includes a power button, a mute button, and two user programmable buttons for direct access to a desired channel (but not content within a channel). 

If your 4640 is working fine, and the changes above aren't a reason for an update, then stick with what you have. If you need a second Roku for another set, or if one of the new features are valuable to you (and you can accept what is missing from the new one), then the 4670 is a great media player. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos