Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesAndersonJr
Binge Watcher

Internet connection inquiry

No 802.11 AX Wi-Fi 6 in the new 2020 Ruku Ultra, just announced?! Only a vauge 50% better range?! None of that matters without the modern tech built into the new Wi-Fi 6 standard (tech features that would nearly eliminate buffering altogether). Also, the ethernet is a paltry 10/100 connection. How long have we had the more efficient, faster Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000) for?! Eons! And it's dirt cheap to manufacture too! Do a quick Google search for "PCI-e Gigabit Ethernet adapter", and be amazed at it's meager price tag. Also, what is more, 2.5 Gb, and 5 Gb Ethernet standards are already here, and the engineers are so stingy as to still use 10/100! Ugh! This is barely an upgrade over the 2019 version, and IMHO not worth upgrading. The engineers better hope they can pull off a mid-cycle refresh like Sony did for the PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 4 Pro, or otherwise I can't see them moving a lot of these "new" units. Especially to people who already have the 2019 Ultra. There simply isn't much to be gained here by upgrading.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
andyross
Roku Guru

AX chipsets are probably still too expensive to use, even in an Ultra, without having to raise the price.

As far as gigabit Ethernet, it's not really needed except for the 0.0001% of users who want to stream raw 4K video from a local server.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

For streaming from Internet sources, there's zero benefit to either Gigabit Ethernet or .11ax. Even .11ac far exceeds the requirements for any Internet source. Almost none of them require more than 20 Mbps.

But yes, for those 1%ers of us who have local UHD media, a faster connection would be nice. But still, .11ac is more than sufficient for it. But I sure would have liked a Gigabit Ethernet jack. But that's what I have my Shield for, since it also supports the lossless audio codecs that Roku still doesn't support. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
IanHowe
Reel Rookie

This guy is wrong I have gigabit internet.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Internet connection Inquiry

@IanHowe wrote:

This guy is wrong I have gigabit internet.

Doesn't matter. The Roku has a Fast Ethernet connection, so around 92 Mbps is the max real world speed you can get with a wired connection. Your network being Gigabit doesn't make the Roku any faster. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos