Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starzoneca
Channel Surfer

Insufficient power and then no WiFi show up in scan

I have had the Roku Express for over 2 years. I got the "low power" message this month. But now, nothing seems to work. I'm using the provided cord and adapter. I tried resetting the Roku, but now can't find WiFi.  The scan comes up blank.  So now I only get the initial setup which it scans the WiFi and come up with no device.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Insufficient power and then no WiFi show up in scan

I've run into this here several times.  This has always worked for me:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

But since you have an express, there is one other possibility that also comes to mind:

Roku models Express, Express+, Premiere, and Premiere+ cannot connect to the 5 GHz wifi band, only to the 2.4 GHz band. If you have one of these models and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

Also, there have been a number of reports lately of people who have routers supplied by their Internet Provider having their router's 2.4 GHz band disabled by an update to the router software. They've had to have their Internet Provider re-enable the 2.4 GHz band, or in some cases swap in a new router.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Starzoneca
Channel Surfer

Well if I check for WiFi on my computer or  cellular I see many device from my neighbors and my own. I also notice that  my roku is flashing a white light 3 times then a pause.  No red light. I still get insufficient power even after restarting and unplugged the roku.  Using the supplied power adapter and cable. The power issue comes and goes.  Connecting to WiFi is blank now showing no devices.  I personally think this is poorly made product. Maybe it's time to get another product to replace my roku devices for my streaming.

0 Kudos
Starzoneca
Channel Surfer

BTW I was incorrect on how long I had it.  Just over a year not 2.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I'd suspect the two problems are related.

For low power issues  @RokuDanny-R  usually says to send him a Private Message with your model, serial number, and description of the problem and he will be able to help.

To send him a PM click on his name above or in a post by him, scroll down and click the purple Send this user a private message button.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Starzoneca
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the insight.   I will send a message and hope he can help.   BTW I have 2 other Roku devices with no issues. One is a media stick and the other is Roku TV.

0 Kudos
ajeske
Channel Surfer

Same problem with an Express, occurred suddenly after about three years. 

"Insufficient Power" warning, even after swapping out several different cords and blocks. Finally got it working temporarily, at which point it had lost the wifi network and could not reconnect even after trying to log in manually. 

All other wifi devices, including two other identical Express units, are working fine. 

Now it's back to the "Power" warning again. Is it just dead and needs to be replaced? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ajeske

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ajeske
Channel Surfer

Since I can't get past the "Insufficient Power" screen, I can't do that. But on the bottom of device, in white letters, it reads: 

C3391C149457

I hope that's the SN. 

0 Kudos