Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Installing a web browser on a Roku device

I have an older Sony Bravia tv and wan to have an internet browser capability that does not seem to wk o0or be supported,. Ive used a roku express for years and recently with our stay at home orders and using zoom, would like to use zoom on my tv for conferences and classes. I have tried with tv, blue ray player and now trying with roku. I also bought a second sml roku for a bedroom tv and am trying to figure out if its possible. There is a mirroring function but i cant get it to wk. over heard of web browser x on roku channel but cant find. Any tips pro am i just out of luck with an older tv?

Michele

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Installing a web browser on a Roku device

There is now browser for Roku.  Or a "Zoom" app or anything like that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Zoom requires two-way communication. You must use a computer or mobile device with at least a microphone, and optionally a camera.

There are currently no browsers available to use on a Roku. If you can get screen mirroring from a phone or tablet to work with your Roku, you might be able to browse that way. I've never had any luck with this but others have.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks. I advent been able to get the mirroring to wk. I realize I still need a tablet or laptop or phone for the mic and video, but want to project what I'm seeing on a tv monitor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

While Zoom is often used for one way meeting broadcasts, to fully utilize Zoom you have to have a mic and camera, as mentioned.  

There is someone working on an experimental web browser for the Roku OS, but right now it's extremely rough and not at all usable in the general sense. I've used web browsers built into TVs, and to say they're a pain is an understatement. Honestly, Devices such as media streamers, TVs or Blu Ray players are terrible web browsing devices. And with their limited amount of memory, performance on most modern web sites would be almost unusable, in my opinion.

Mirroring a Windows 10 PC to a Roku actually works pretty well. That might be a far better way to do what you're looking for. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

The very latest references I can find for Browser X for Roku are dated Dec 2019, so I reckon sometime in the last 5 months support for it dropped. And I can't locate it in the channel store. Grimm the 5 or 6 reviews I read it probably wouldn't have supported Zoom anyways.

0 Kudos