Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FlatEric521
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku No Longer Goes Into Standby After Latest Update - 10.5

Jump to solution

@Dav59 wrote:

I can confirm that my Roku ultra powers on when the tv is turned on, even on ota antenna input. And it will NOT turn on until the tv is turned on, defeating a feature of my tv. Better than before, but not right.

Yes, mine running 10.5.0 is behaving the same way.  I tested using the remote on the Roku while the TV was turned off.  Even though the indicator light blinked a bit showing it received the signal, the Roku remained in standby.  My other Roku that is still running 10.0.0 does not behave like that, so this is new behavior.

0 Kudos
Goofus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Dav59

This is the way all of my Rokus have always behaved.  On all boxes, both TVs, 10.0 and 10.5.  I always get the generic Roku screensaver when content is paused; my own set screensaver when at home screen, etc.  Additionally, the "on pause" screensaver stops everything from shutting down after 5/10/20 minutes, which I thought was intentional.  I'd certainly prefer not to have to restart everything just because I ended up on a phone call or whatever I couldn't get out of in time.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm reporting the same issue with the screensaver on both a 4660 2018 Ultra, and the 2020 4800 Ultra. 

Both units are running 10.5.0 build 4187.  With the screensaver, it will function normally until the TV power state is toggled.  For example while on it will go idle and enter the screensaver.  When TV is turned off, Roku wakes up, and then goes back to screensaver once idle as the light goes out.  When TV is turned on, the Roku wakes up, and again goes back into screensaver once idle.  On the 4800 is the power option, which completely puts it to sleep, and when in this state, the TV state doesn't matter, the Roku remains in standby either way.  So, it's only the 4660 which doesn't have the power option that doesn't fully go into a sleep mode.

Here are my thoughts, the Roku waking up, or having the connected input activated, makes sense as an option.  However, having it do so on TV power off is incorrect behavior.  Besides this little glitch, operations have been normal and problem free.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey all:  I have some more information on my situation.  It's been a long time since I've posted any problems here and  it seems like all the Roku employees that helped me then (mainly TannerD) are no longer with Roku, so hopefully someone else can stand up and help here.

Here is the situation:  I have two setup:

1, is a 4K/HDR compatible setup where each device has a direct HDMI connection to the TV, and I have a 5.1 sound bar connected to the TV by optical.   When I put my 4660 Roku Ultra on this setup that had updated to RokuOS 10.5 build 4187, the issue with the unit waking up on TV power cycle went away, and is now working correctly.  My 4800 2020 model is on the second setup which is a bit different.  The TV is a basic LG 1080p TV with only 2 HDMI ports and no CEC.  To accommodate for this, this setup has a 4 port rocketfish HDMI Switch that's at least 5+ years old now, and is 1080p only..  I have the switch going into the sound bar, and the sound bar out to the TV so I get video passthrough as well as a direct HDMI connection for both audio and video.  The HDMI Switch has CECE, and always stays on unless manually turned off.  It's this switch that's causing the Roku to act up on this setup.  For the most part, it's been fine and worked normally, however it's been known to cause problems for Roku specifically at certain times in the past with various firmware versions, and of course now.  The problem only surfaced when 10.5 was installed, and now confirmed only on the setup with the switch.  The unit with 10.5 on the other setup with direct connections to the TV itself, does not have this problem.

There are a few things I did test this:

1, I turned off the sound bar, as it also has CEC built in, let the screensaver kick in, turned the TV off, waited a few seconds, and turned back on, and the Roku was out of screensaver.

2. Then I turned off the switch manually back on after repeating above, and the Roku also woke up.  So it's not the sound bar causing the conflict, was able to rule that out.

3.  The third piece of info here is:  The 4800 has the advanced power settings while the 4660 does not, even though they have the same version of software installed.  I bring this up because, once the 4800 goes into sleep where it actually shuts down beyond just the screensaver, the HDMI switching does not affect it any longer, and it doesn't wake up until, I press the remote.

I am willing to provide any information needed to help troubleshoot this further, however, some devices, I can only give limited info on at this point, because I only have limited information on them.  So, if someone from Roku would get in touch, I'll do what I can to provide what's needed to help resolve this.

I know like USB Hubs, HDMI switches can cause unusual problems, and I've seen this in the past at times.  However, it's rare in my setup(s) to heave issues, and usually Roku players that do over other devices.

0 Kudos
OH_Streamer
Binge Watcher

Re: Indicator Light Stays On After Installing 10.5 Update

Jump to solution

I had the same thing happen on my 4660rx after the 10.5 update. A few days later, another 10.5 update came, now (Build 4187) and it corrected it. My light now goes off when Roku Screensaver starts or after 10 mins (my time preference) when I turn my TV off. 

0 Kudos
tgbrown1687
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I second this issue, I have had my Roku for over a year. Since the latest 10.5.0 I can no long turn off my TV or the Roku, the TV has always turned off either by voice or by the icon on the Roku home screen but now the Roku says its powering off but nothing changes the screen remains on. Prior to the update I was also able to power off/on the Roku with the power button on the remote but now I can hold the power button all day and the Roku never turns off.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@tgbrown1687 wrote:

I second this issue, I have had my Roku for over a year. Since the latest 10.5.0 I can no long turn off my TV or the Roku, the TV has always turned off either by voice or by the icon on the Roku home screen but now the Roku says its powering off but nothing changes the screen remains on. Prior to the update I was also able to power off/on the Roku with the power button on the remote but now I can hold the power button all day and the Roku never turns off.

It seems to depend on Roku Model, and the setup it's in as to what problems you'll get.

For example: my Roku Ultra Model 4800 is on build 10.5.0 build 4201, and when the TV power is toggled, on or off, unless the Roku has gone to deep sleep, will come out of screensaver.  However if left Idle it will always go back into stand by and then eventually to sleep, where it will stay until a button on the remote is pressed.  On the same token, if the HDMI switch is changed to a different input, the Roku will install go into deep sleep and remain there until a remote button press.

My other Roku which is a model 4660, is on a 2016 4k Sony TV, and it behaves as it always has since before the 10.5x updates.  The power button on the Remote turns the TV on, or off with no problems in that setup.

Have you tried the following? :

1. On the Roku, go into settings: Remotes and reconfiguring the Remote for TV control?

2. Powering down everything and pulling the power to reset the HDMI chain?

3.  Double checking that HDMI CEC has not been disabled for some reason ?

Your particular issue seems to be slightly different from the most common ones: which is the Roku not wanting to sleep, or waking up on activity that it usually shouldn't.  Haven't heard any other reports of powering off the TV, or on being affected, e.g. the remote.

0 Kudos
tgbrown1687
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra 4800X, Latest update 10.5.0 Build 4201-C2

I have programmed a different Roku remote to this device.

I have reprogrammed the Roku to control my TV including tried different remote codes.

No settings on my TV have changed including HDMI CEC, I have also tried different HDMI ports.

I can program the remote itself to turn off the TV with the hard button but setting it up this way does not allow me to control the volume on my sound bar. I have alway had it setup for the Roku remote to control the volume on my sound bar and used the Roku short cut or voice control to turn the TV ON/OFF. The Roku will do its Auto power of after 20 minutes with the Auto power feature enabled. The problem is the (TV Off) Short cut on the Roku home screen and the Voice control does not power off the TV.

I have a second Roku same model and update on a different TV of the same brand and model that still works fine, Roku short cut and voice control still works.

0 Kudos
wroomer

Re: Roku ultra exits screensaver when I turn off tv

Jump to solution

Hello, Recently (3 days ago), my Roku Ultra won't drop into standby mode. The light on the front stays on continuously despite it just sitting on the main home screen. I have tried unplugging as well as restarting it a serval times, but it still does not seem to want to sleep or stand-by omegle. SO if anyone have idea what might be going on or what else I can try for this trouble? Edit: I discovered that it has something to do with the TV being on or off. With the TV on, the Roku will go to screensaver and the light turns off (goes into sleep mode/standby mode). If I power the TV off, the light turns off. If I turn the TV back on, the bazoocam screen save is turned off. If the TV is off, the Roku never goes on standby. So I just want to know Is this any kind of bug with the V 10.5?

Regards

Kelly Mark

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Re: Roku ultra exits screensaver when I turn off tv

Jump to solution

Hi there,

Yes: it's an issue with 10.5.  My two Roku players do it as well.

4800 on 10.5.0 build 4201

4660 that was on 10.5.0 build 4201, but Roku reverted back to 10.0.0 build 4209 through software update.

In my case, the 4800 wakes up on power cycle of the TV, on or off, but goes back into standby when things have idled again even with the TV off.  I have a second problem with the 4800 and 10.5.0 that I have also reported here in the appropriate thread, and that is constant and random HDCP errors, and snowy screens especially with 4k, HDR, but also at a lesser rate on 1080p as well.  I have confirmed it's the particular unit vs something else in the setup, as I have reverted to my 4600 for that setup and don't have the issues.  I wasn't even having any issues with 10.5.0 build 4201 on that unit either except for the screensaver wake issue.  Everything else was stable (as far as I know.). I don't use wifi with My Roku(s) usually and hard wire with ethernet.

0 Kudos