Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wasker
Channel Surfer

Re: Indicator Light Stays On After Installing 10.5 Update

Jump to solution

Roku customers need an ETA for the update to be deployed on devices, not assurances that "it's going to be fixed in the future update."

Goofus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have to admit I'm a little off-put by the closing and "resolution" status Roku has assigned this.  It seems I'm the only one who's received working updated software, or maybe the nature of the beast is that if you're not having a problem you're not coming here for a fix.  Even in my case, I ended up here trying to figure out why Pluto and Peacock keep crashing on all my RokuTVs despite literally WEEKS of reinstalls and resets.

So for the Roku peeps who aren't reading this anymore (LOL), here's the info again from the device that received the 10.5 update AND IS WORKING CORRECTLY, 100% (as near as I can tell):

MODEL 3941RW

SERIAL X01600JJ7U5H

SW 10.5.0 - build 4181-CR

DEVICE S0AH514JU5H

Please note this is an update from previous posts, as I just got bumped from 4174-CR to 4181-CR on Friday 10/10/21.  Both of these -CR updates included a 'power' tab under SETTINGS///SYSTEM which is where 'standby after 20 minutes' for some reason now has to be turned on.  This is the feature missing from what seems like everyone else's 10.5 updates with numbered -xx builds.

I gotta be honest here from years of testing various software apps: it looks like Roku has shot out a bunch of beta (pre-release) builds of this to a LOT of people.  I can't imagine this was intentional, but if it was I think it's rude; especially if this sudden "lack of standby mode" causes an overheating or damaging effect on hardware people paid for and aren't able to run to the store to exchange.

Dave76
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
This is what Roku Support sent me today via private message on Twitter. Thought it was kind of funny. Also does anyone know if 10.5 has screwed up the Roku TV's yet. I am holding my breath it doesn't update to it til there is a fix.
0 Kudos
Dave76
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I did private message with Roku Support via twitter and they asked for the info from the boxes I have which I gave them. They got back and said that they don't go to sleep mode and you have to unplug them. That's kinda funny. I had these boxes for about 5 years now and they always went to sleep within 2 minutes of inactivity. Just admit they screwed up on this update. And does anyone have any issues with the Roku TV models with 10.5?

Dave-H
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

They may have misinterpreted what you meant by "sleep mode".
As far as I understand, the front light goes off when the screensaver kicks in, or should do.
Whether that is considered to be "going to sleep" I don't know.
Normally "sleeping" would be a deeper standby mode than that, at least it is with most of the devices that I'm familiar with.
Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LadyLizzie13
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

They may have but the main reason I call it sleep mode when the light goes off is because it cools down then and no vibrations from it like when it's in use/light on where it stays warm.

FYI the new update tonight to 10.5.0 build 4181-04 there is zero change in the light coming back on when tv turns off, changing of modes etc.  Still not fixed.

chats
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Goofus 

You're absolutely right, Goofus: my Roku Streaming Stick+ is really heating up, and, since I use it to fall asleep, it has to stay on all night. I'm having to unplug it first thing every morning, and leave it unplugged for hours.

Still won't go into sleep mode - screensaver still not working at all.

So this is clearly NOT RESOLVED in any way. Saying that it should be resolved in a "future update" is not good enough, when we're all running the risk of damage to our hardware.

3810x Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial Number: YH003V658652

Device ID: 213973658652

Build: 4174-50

Software Version: 10.5.0

0 Kudos
Dave-H
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Interesting that your screensaver isn't working at all.
Mine is, I can manually activate it on the setup menu, and it kicks in fine when it should do if the output of the box is being viewed but is idle.
It just doesn't ever come on now when the output of the box isn't being viewed.
It's as if there has to be a "live" HDMI connection to the box for it to work.
Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ogstacey
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Why is this marked as, "Solved?"  It is not solved.  It is an ongoing issue.  I have two Roku's.  Two different versions.  One goes to sleep whether the TV is on of off.  The other one - goes to sleep when TV is on, but lights right back up when the TV is turned off.  And it stays on perpetually.  It doesn't get hot or anything I would consider dangerous.  But I want the device to power down when not in use - plain and simple.  Roku be like, "it's fine, everything's fine."  It's not fine - fix it!

wasker
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R: Thanks, but nobody argues that Roku doesn't understand the issue users are experiencing. The question is: when is the "future"? Is it tomorrow? A week from now? A month? Next year? In ten years from now?