Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MBCT
Channel Surfer

The Dreaded 10.5 & 10.5.0 Update

Jump to solution

The problems began on September 21st 2021 when the 10.5 Update was released. Here we are into October (7th) and things are worsening. There still is no fix (for all Roku models) when it comes to THE STANDBY/SCREENSAVER Mode. The indicator light remains on constantly therefore the unit NEVER goes into SLEEP/STANDBY mode. Now comes the 10.5.0 Update to supposedly fix some of these problems - Well - It did NO SUCH thing and NOW even YOUTUBE is out of order. When one attempts to watch it - Screen goes blank. The only way out this is to hit the menu button. Your screen will do nothing but FLASH like a strobe rendering YOUTUBE USELESS. You can restart, unplug, or whichever means you're comfortable with, and find there's a problem. My arthritic hands are tired from not only restarting but typing. Is everyone experiencing the same frustrating problems?????   

0 Kudos
FlatEric521
Channel Surfer

Re: Indicator Light Stays On After Installing 10.5 Update

Jump to solution

Updated to a newer version of 10.5 last night, and the issue is still there.

Updated info:

Hardware model: Roku Premiere+ (4630X)

Software: 10.5.0  build 4174-29

0 Kudos
Dave76
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Premiere and a Roku Express and I have the OS 10.5 update and two patches since then and I still have the issue it wont go to sleep and power light stays on. I have to unplug them for the night. I have a TCL Roku TV and I don't want to update it to 10.5 cause worried it will have issues as well. I saw someone said there's a power option in the settings so I looked where he showed it and I don't have any power option. It says system update then system restart no power option. So I am hoping for a fix SOON. Been putting up with this for 2 weeks now.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The Dreaded 10.5 & 10.5.0 Update

Jump to solution

@MBCT 

You never said what model number Roku you have. That's sometimes important. And, the full Roku software version information is helpful. Settings > System > About

As Roku 10.5 is still rolling out, and many people don't have it yet, you may not get quite as many responses as you otherwise might.

It may be that the issues are related to the update. It may be that the issues are something else, and they happened to coincide with the update. So, don't jump to any conclusions just yet.

Are you using a simple, standard Roku screensaver? The clock, for instance? Or are you using a purchased or otherwise obtained non-Roku screen saver?

Have you restarted your Roku? 

Are any apps other than YouTube having problems?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
chats
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same here - after the update, there's NO "Power" or "Auto Power Savings" available at all, on my 3810x Roku Streaming Stick+ - Roku REALLY NEEDS TO FIX THIS ISSUE.

0 Kudos
chats
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have a 3810x Roku Streaming Stick+, and there's no "power" or "auto power savings" available for me with this update.

Roku needs to fix this issue - it's a real problem.

My 3810x Roku Streaming Stick+ does not have any sort of "power" option, anywhere, after this 10.5 update.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
kato3927
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@chats wrote:

@Goofus wrote:

I have two 4K Express+ boxes and roomie has a 3, all updated to 10.5 and started doing the same thing (light staying on).  There's a new/modified "power" under SETTINGS///SYSTEM///POWER called "auto power savings" and a checkbox for "after 20 minutes of no interaction".  This is either new or different than it was before 10.5, because once I checked the box, not only does the light stay off at and beyond the screensaver, it *seems* to be shutting the Roku completely OFF, where before even with no light or activity it always seemed to be warm 24/7.  It's not anymore.  Check your settings and check this box and you should actually solve the problem.

I have a 3810x Roku Streaming Stick+, and there's no "power" or "auto power savings" available for me with this update.

Roku needs to fix this issue - it's a real problem.

I'm glad you found a resolution to the problem with your device.  I have three Roku model 4630X devices only one of which has been updated to the new 10.5 firmware.  The other two still retain the version 10.0 vesrsion and are unaffected with this latest problem.

I have checked the affected device's menu repeatedly and throughly and there is no "auto power savings" in a "POWER" menu available under SETTINGS///SYSTEM in my device.

0 Kudos
kato3927
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No "POWER" setting in the Settings menu on my 4630X device and if you notice, the build number in your menu state that it is build 4174-CR while mine and perhaps others' is 4174-29 or maybe even earlier.

Roku doesn't roll out these firmware updates all at once.  Some get them earlier/later than others.Sys InfoSys InfoSysSys

0 Kudos
Goofus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

OK y'all, clearly Roku is shooting these updates out at random, to random people, in random order, and in random build form.  It looks like we all have different build variations on different devices, and those builds have different features.  Now I've irritated myself with my own intent at helping.  Sorry about that.  One of my longtime tech buddies says the -CR in a version number usually stands for "candidate release", which to me says I somehow have a more finalized version of 10.5.  I just went and attempted a manual update on my other identical 3941RW (Express 4K+), bought at the same time from the same place, and it said all software was up to date, sitting at 10.0.1 - build 4180-CR.  Maybe they're sending out various builds to see who finds what bugs or other irritants, I don't know.  My advice is to just keep checking for updates and be patient.  They just started rolling this out, so it's still early in the overall process.  It would be nice to tell people that, but it is what it is.  Roku is still the number one streaming device out there, I LOVE it, and I wouldn't trade mine for anything.  At the end of the day, I suspect most of us feel that way.  Just be patient, keep posting here, and we can keep helping each other.

0 Kudos
jroggsr

Jump to solution

Did a factory reset on my 4620X Roku Premiere 4K_UHD, software version 10.5.0 - build 4174-29, and still do not see any 'power' option or setting. Tried to do software update prior to reset figuring update might not have been fully installed; but, system indicated that update was already installed. Still have issue as others - LED light stays on with tv off, goes off in default timeout when tv is on.

0 Kudos