Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Increasing memory on a Roku Model: 4200x - Roku 3.

Jump to solution

I have a new Roku device, Roku Ultra LT Streaming Media Player 2019 - Model # 4662X (Website said 4662RW), and a Roku Model: 4200x - Roku 3. I added a micro SD card to shorten the startup time on the new one, but the old one doesn't take a card. It does have a USB port.  Can it be used to increase memory?  Barring that, I'm wondering if I reduce the number of channels on that Roku device, will it speed up the start-up time? Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 21

Re: Increasing memory on a Roku Model: 4200x - Roku 3.

Jump to solution

The Roku 3's sdcard slot is below the HDMI connector.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Level 7

Jump to solution

Sorry folks, I neglected to mention that all channels, except Youtube TV, startup fine.  The problem seems to be associated specifically Youtube TV.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

The Roku 3's sdcard slot is below the HDMI connector.

View solution in original post

Level 7

Jump to solution

That's it.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

Adding an SD card doesn't make the Roku boot any faster, not operate any quicker either. All it does is allow storing more channels before needing to off-load to install a new one. In that respect, it will speed up starting a channel, since it doesn't need to download the code again. But if the channel is already in local storage the SD card doesn't make the Roku any faster. 

You also asked about the USB port. No, the only thing you can use the USB port for is as a media source for playback via Roku Media Player. The Roku has no ability to store something on an attached USB device, it's strictly for media playback only.  

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Increasing memory on a Roku Model: 4200x - Roku 3.SD card

Jump to solution

Why is the model 4200x not listed as a supported model for the SD card that Roku sells?

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Increasing memory on a Roku Model: 4200x - Roku 3.SD card

Jump to solution

@jath622 wrote:

Why is the model 4200x not listed as a supported model for the SD card that Roku sells?

Probably because the 4200 is such an old player that few users have them any more. But yes, it has an SD card slot, along with the 4210 (Roku 2), 4230 (Roku 3) and 4400 (Roku 4). 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

My 4200x does not recognize any SD card.

I have wasted far too much time on this topic.

The ask: would like to know the secret sauce from ROKU.SUPPORT or get a workin20210114_221453[1].jpgg replacement device.  I paid a lot of $$$ for this Roku 3 compared to the latest. I use two other ROKU now, bought new, and I retired one ROKU 2.

My 4200x does not recognize any SD card.

I tried a 32gb Class 10. Nope.  Reduced the partition to 2G and 4G. Nope Nope.

Formatted it on PC as Fat32, Fat, NTFS, unformatted/no partition.  Nope Nope Nope Nope

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then I bought a smaller, slower, dumber class 4 8GB SD per the folklore on this topic.  Nope.

Reduced the partition to 2G and 4G. Nope Nope.

Formatted it on PC as Fat32, Fat, NTFS, unformatted/no partition.  Nope Nope Nope Nope

#4200x 

Roku 3 (4200 series) 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

The 4200 is now almost eight years old (released Mar 2013). Electronic devices fail over time. If your Roku is still working fine, other than the SD card, then continue to use it as you do now. The SD card offers no performance improvement for the streaming channels. It merely adds storage space for the channel apps, to reduce the need for offloading and reloading seldom used channels. 

The latest model Ultra no longer offers an SD card slot, meaning that all of the latest models have dropped it. The previous version of the Ultra (4670) was the last player with it. The Ultra LT, available at Walmart, has also removed it, to my understanding. 

Dan
0 Kudos