Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poesy70
Level 7

Incompatible devices?

I think I may have broken my Roku (possibly through neglect) and can't figure out how to sort it. I have 2 tvs, one is 5+ years old and came with the streaming stick (#3400x) installed. I was advised to upgrade my Roku device in (I think) 2019, and got an Express (#3900x). I did set it up at the time,  but I rarely watch in that part of the house, so I haven't paid much attention to it since. The other TV is new as of last November and has the Roku Express +. I have paid subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, Disney + and Discovery + and everything works on the new TV. Recently,  I decided to watch something downstairs but realized that neither Disney nor Discovery was in 'My Channels', so I tried to update.  Disney doesn't even show as an option in streaming channels,  and Discovery tells me 'unable to add channel'. 

I have reset my system.  I have checked my account settings. My internet connection checks out. Everything is paid up. I think somehow my "linked devices" got messed up because, when i checked my account, it only show the streaming stick as linked to the tv downstairs.  But I can't add a new link without a code, and how do I get a new code for a device that's older? Do I need to buy a new Roku device? Is it possible that the streaming stick is incompatible with a new device?  (The TV came with it installed and I've never removed it. Actually, I wouldn't even know how to remove it). 

I'm at a loss, honestly.  Any ideas?  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Incompatible devices?

The 3400 is very old and doesn't support many newer channels/apps; that's why they don't show up.  If you want to watch the channels you mentioned you'll need a newer Roku.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 14

I've lost track, but I think there are three(?) Rokus in this story and I'm not sure which one is having issues, but as a starting point, I would go to:

settings->system->about

on each Roku and make sure they are all connected to the same account.

0 Kudos
poesy70
Level 7

@renojim wrote:

The 3400 is very old and doesn't support many newer channels/apps; that's why they don't show up.  If you want to watch the channels you mentioned you'll need a newer Roku.

Hmm, ok. Do you happen to know if the 3900 can handle those channels?

0 Kudos
poesy70
Level 7

@Strega wrote:

I've lost track, but I think there are three(?) Rokus in this story and I'm not sure which one is having issues, but as a starting point, I would go to:

settings->system->about

on each Roku and make sure they are all connected to the same account.

Yeah, sorry...  2 televisions.  3 devices. The TV in question had one device attached when I bought it, but it's old. I tried to replace it, but by now even the replacement might be too old to support newer channels.  But I don't know for sure because device #3 doesn't show on my account- I did something somehow to unlink it, and I can't figure out how to fix it... 

0 Kudos