Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poesy70
Reel Rookie

Incompatible devices?

I think I may have broken my Roku (possibly through neglect) and can't figure out how to sort it. I have 2 tvs, one is 5+ years old and came with the streaming stick (#3400x) installed. I was advised to upgrade my Roku device in (I think) 2019, and got an Express (#3900x). I did set it up at the time,  but I rarely watch in that part of the house, so I haven't paid much attention to it since. The other TV is new as of last November and has the Roku Express +. I have paid subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, Disney + and Discovery + and everything works on the new TV. Recently,  I decided to watch something downstairs but realized that neither Disney nor Discovery was in 'My Channels', so I tried to update.  Disney doesn't even show as an option in streaming channels,  and Discovery tells me 'unable to add channel'. 

I have reset my system.  I have checked my account settings. My internet connection checks out. Everything is paid up. I think somehow my "linked devices" got messed up because, when i checked my account, it only show the streaming stick as linked to the tv downstairs.  But I can't add a new link without a code, and how do I get a new code for a device that's older? Do I need to buy a new Roku device? Is it possible that the streaming stick is incompatible with a new device?  (The TV came with it installed and I've never removed it. Actually, I wouldn't even know how to remove it). 

I'm at a loss, honestly.  Any ideas?  

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Incompatible devices?

The 3400 is very old and doesn't support many newer channels/apps; that's why they don't show up.  If you want to watch the channels you mentioned you'll need a newer Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I've lost track, but I think there are three(?) Rokus in this story and I'm not sure which one is having issues, but as a starting point, I would go to:

settings->system->about

on each Roku and make sure they are all connected to the same account.

0 Kudos
poesy70
Reel Rookie

@renojim wrote:

The 3400 is very old and doesn't support many newer channels/apps; that's why they don't show up.  If you want to watch the channels you mentioned you'll need a newer Roku.

Hmm, ok. Do you happen to know if the 3900 can handle those channels?

0 Kudos
poesy70
Reel Rookie

@Strega wrote:

I've lost track, but I think there are three(?) Rokus in this story and I'm not sure which one is having issues, but as a starting point, I would go to:

settings->system->about

on each Roku and make sure they are all connected to the same account.

Yeah, sorry...  2 televisions.  3 devices. The TV in question had one device attached when I bought it, but it's old. I tried to replace it, but by now even the replacement might be too old to support newer channels.  But I don't know for sure because device #3 doesn't show on my account- I did something somehow to unlink it, and I can't figure out how to fix it... 

0 Kudos