Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amd1785

Inactivity shut off

My Roku device shuts off/goes to the screen saver mode after about 3 hours of inactivity. I have to leave the TV on for my 95 year old grand mother, who does not understand how to use the remote. I have searched for answers how to fix it so that it continuously stays on. I have tried everything I can find and nothing is working?? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!  TIA

31 REPLIES 31
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Inactivity shut off

Disabling the screensaver in Settings should prevent that from happening.  Are you sure the TV doesn't have a screensaver of its own?  When it appears to to shut off/go to screensaver mode, is the light on the Roku box off or on?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@amd1785 Thanks for reaching out. Have you tried the suggestion noted above to disable screensaver, and double checked that you do not have 'bandwidth saver' enabled in Settings>Network? 

If so, and the issue persists:

- What specific model # of Roku device is this behavior occurring on? (Settings>System>About)

- What brand and model of TV in the Roku device connected to? 

- What streaming channel(s) is being watched when this behavior occurs? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Smitovsky
Reel Rookie

Has this issue been solved?  My Roku Premiere does the same thing: black screen when turning on the TV after a long (3+ hours?) time off.  The Roku is plugged into the wall, not the TV.   Screensaver disabled, Bandwidth Saver is off.  Trying to constantly stream using the Xfinity Stream app.  

pixieL

Try going into Themes and then to screensaver then disabling it from there. 

I hope that solves it for you.  We just did this at my office for the picture slideshow that we do in the reception area.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
developer_j
Binge Watcher

The issue is there in 

* 8000x

* 3810x

but not in

* 3800x 

* 4670x

Curious why, lets know when there will be fix for this

0 Kudos
evog

Has this worked for you? I tried the same thing for our picture slideshow but the TV times out after 3 hours or so and ends up on the homepage. Please help!

Smitovsky
Reel Rookie

Nope.  I have yet to find a solution for this.  The best thought I have is that it seems like it could be App-dependent.  If that's the case, any Roku solution won't work.  I wish I knew a way of finding out, but I'm afraid this will remain a mystery.

0 Kudos

If nothing else works, is it possible to at least teach your grandmother to use the pause and play button? If she could just push this one button once an hour then it shouldn't go off due to inactivity. 

0 Kudos
Smitovsky
Reel Rookie

Nice try, Cheetah, but my grandmother is long gone.   Besides, it wouldn't work anyway.  Somehow the Roku knows when the TV gets shut off, so when you turn it back on you're in the Roku home screen, not the app you were running.  See if YOUR grandma can figure that one out.

0 Kudos