Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frazelle09
Level 7

Images on screen now a little too large

A couple of days ago i fired up my Roku like i do every evening and noticed that the text at the bottom of the folders "Videos", "Music", etc. was cut off (not visible anymore). i though it was a problem with the HDTV itself and set everything back to Default, but the issue still persists. Can anyone tell me where i should look to fix this issue? It is rather annoying since that text indicates whether or not the video has been seen, so i always have to click on the video to see whether i have seen it before or not.

i'm running MyMediaServer on a linux box (PCLinuxOS).

Have a great afternoon! Smiley Happy

"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
............................................Bahá'u'lláh...........................................
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
mikebdoss
Level 10

Re: Images on screen now a little too large

"frazelle09" wrote:
A couple of days ago i fired up my Roku like i do every evening and noticed that the text at the bottom of the folders "Videos", "Music", etc. was cut off (not visible anymore). i though it was a problem with the HDTV itself and set everything back to Default, but the issue still persists. Can anyone tell me where i should look to fix this issue? It is rather annoying since that text indicates whether or not the video has been seen, so i always have to click on the video to see whether i have seen it before or not.

i'm running MyMediaServer on a linux box (PCLinuxOS).

Have a great afternoon! Smiley Happy

Do you have a "zoom" or "aspect" button on your TV's remote? Sounds like you've accidentally zoomed in. Usually pressing the button again will let you cycle through your available display options. There's probably also a setting for that in your menu options. It really does sound like a TV issue, not a Roku one.
Junckboxx
Level 7

This doesn't sound unusual to me. My Roku2 XS has a similar issue. Sure the Home menu screen shows everything properly, but the picture is "letter-boxed" slightly above and below the screen's picture feed, making the picture stretch and not as tall as it should be. I also have tried zoom. Now remember this.. I have 3 Roku machines. The XS is a replacement for a proper Roku 1 player, which is at work. When putting the same exact resolution (720p), the 2 Roku machines have a different screen display, without changing the "zoom" on the HDTV. Both Roku's are hooked up in the exact same way.

With this being said, I tend to think that frazelle may be correct with the Roku issue.

I have attempted to correct it by changing the Roku player's resolution, which didn't help. I also experimented with the "auto aspect" portion of the display, which will automatically make the correct ratio for a 4x3 or change it to 16x9 automatically. I tried through HDMI and component/RCA cables.

Beyond this, I have had not luck either.

Both of my Roku 1 HD's work correctly to display. My Roku 2 XD is displaying off, with the same exact settings. I truly believe there could be an issue with the Roku output displays.
Cut the US TV TAX... Stop Cable TV! The FCC doesn't need anymore of my monies! I don't need anymore watching restrictions/channels pulled, due to YOUR OWN money arguments with stations!
0 Kudos
frazelle09
Level 7

Thanks for the input, guys. i'll give it a go with the remote. Our grandkids sometimes have access to the remote, too, so this may have something to do with it.

i'll report back.

Have a great evening! Smiley Happy
............................................Bahá'u'lláh...........................................
0 Kudos
frazelle09
Level 7

Well, that fixed it. i checked the zoom function on my TV's remote and see that it has 1/2x, 1x and 2x. If i use the 1/2x, i can see all of the text. Then i can go to the 1x and watch the video.

However the bottom portion of the video is still missing. At least i can now see which videos have been watched.

My regular TV's programming seems to be alright.

Have a great evening! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
FrozenGumWad
Level 7

Okie dokie, I made an account just to say thank you everyone!! Format on my direct TV remote was the issue.
0 Kudos
Dented
Level 7

Quick Fix for Resizing Roku Home Screen -

Go to Settings > System > System Restart > Restart

When the system reloads your home screen should look normal again. 
0 Kudos
oxfords1
Level 7

I had the same thing happen to me and couldn't find anything to fix it so I did a restart of my roku and everything went back to normal size.

0 Kudos