Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

IP address

Jump to solution
Ok my son has no remote to his stick, so he uses my phone app, but our modern had to be switched out recently, now the app can't find his stick when scanned. I can manually type in his ip address, but cant get to it to read it. So my question is, is there a way to find out what his ip address is without a remote to go to his settings so I can type it into the app?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: IP address

Jump to solution

@AMYR1966 wrote:
Ok my son has no remote to his stick, so he uses my phone app, but our modern had to be switched out recently, now the app can't find his stick when scanned. I can manually type in his ip address, but cant get to it to read it. So my question is, is there a way to find out what his ip address is without a remote to go to his settings so I can type it into the app?

A Stick can only be joined to a new network with an actual Roku remote. If your modem/router was switched out, and the wireless SSID has changed, you'll never get it connected without a remote. However, you can go into your modem/router and rename the SSID to the same name as the old one, and change to password to also match the old one. Then your Stick should reconnect as if the router had never been changed. But without a Roku remote, that's your only option.

And note that the Sticks do not have IR receivers, so a generic IR remote that you can buy in so many stores will NOT work on it. You have to have a Roku remote specific to your Stick. And if your Stick is the older 3500 (purple), Roku no longer offers replacement remotes at all. If you look on Ebay, you might find a replacement remote, but honestly it would be cheaper to just buy a new Roku. Also, many of those Ebay remotes claim to work on a 3500, but in reality they won't.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@AMYR1966 wrote:

A Stick can only be joined to a new network with an actual Roku remote. If your modem/router was switched out, and the wireless SSID has changed, you'll never get it connected without a remote. However, you can go into your modem/router and rename the SSID to the same name as the old one, and change to password to also match the old one. Then your Stick should reconnect as if the router had never been changed. But without a Roku remote, that's your only option.

And note that the Sticks do not have IR receivers, so a generic IR remote that you can buy in so many stores will NOT work on it. You have to have a Roku remote specific to your Stick. And if your Stick is the older 3500 (purple), Roku no longer offers replacement remotes at all. If you look on Ebay, you might find a replacement remote, but honestly it would be cheaper to just buy a new Roku. Also, many of those Ebay remotes claim to work on a 3500, but in reality they won't.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
That's pretty much what I thought, thank you for your reply.
0 Kudos