Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

I see the new Roku Ultra 2020 does not have a 'micro sd card' can you add capacity via USB?

I pre-ordered the 2020 Ultra. I was wondering about adding channel storage - since it appears the 'micro sd card' option is gone. Can the USB port be used?

8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: I see the new Roku Ultra 2020 does not have a 'micro sd card' can you add capacity via USB?

ROKU seems very silent on this roll out of new devices.

No real details or hype.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: I see the new Roku Ultra 2020 does not have a 'micro sd card' can you add capacity via USB?

I did not not see any options to add anything to the USB drive. I can only access the USB when trying to play a music or video files (read only).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

If it has a USB, then you 'should' be able to add a USB hard drive or a USB Flash Drive.  I just added a 12 TB drive to my modem-router for music, photo, and movies.  The main reason I'm upgrading my ROKU is the USB port because I take the ROKU with me when I'm gone for a week at a time. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

It doesn't seem to need it.  I'm not sure if it has internal storage as there's nothing on the spec sheets, but the channels load up very quickly with none of the percent progress display.  I have over 50 channels and opened all of them, mostly to log into them, and they all loaded almost instantly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That's good news! The main reason I decided to upgrade is that my Amazon 4k is limited on how much 'channel storage' is available. I should have mine tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@Swordsman wrote:

If it has a USB, then you 'should' be able to add a USB hard drive or a USB Flash Drive.  I just added a 12 TB drive to my modem-router for music, photo, and movies.  The main reason I'm upgrading my ROKU is the USB port because I take the ROKU with me when I'm gone for a week at a time. 

That's not what he's asking.

Roku Ultra 2020 has no microSD card slot, which in the past was used to expand the flash memory of the Roku itself. It would use the microSD card space to store the channels and cached channel data. You could insert up to a 32gb microSD card. It's completely different than the USB port, which is used to play back media.

Can someone please say how much internal storage the Roku Ultra 2020 has, since it's no longer possible to expand?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I don't think this is something Roku has ever shared - just how much RAM the devices have (2GB for the Ultra 2020):

Roku Hardware specifications 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

I have 149 channels on my Roku Ultra 2017 4660X. I have a 32 GB microSD card in it. My System -> About screen usually shows less than 20% of the microSD card being used, typically around 3.5 - 4.0 GB.

It would be nice to know whether or not the Roku Ultra 2020 would be able to handle that OK without a microSD card.

Why Roku would not want to share this basic information with their customers shows a real problem with their customer communication. It's not user friendly, and not helpful.

0 Kudos